Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madcowd211

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Sadly I am an Idiot and I dropped my ipod Touch numerous times so the back is monsterous. Is there anyway I can replace my backplate alone?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
As of now, I do not know of any companies that sell iPod Touch parts on their own... but you could sell it to me, and use the money to get a start on another one... :) (Assuming you have the 16GB version ;))

Brasso was reported to work on other iPods. Don't know if it will do the same on the Touch. (Do your research on this before you try it!)

rusty.

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Houston, Texas
I tried it works but not super amazing even using a buffer machine thing it just rubs off the "laser engraved" apple logo and ****.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Replacement is far too difficult. All the skeleton is attached to the backing. Look into Gelaskins. They're excellent!

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
There's a post over in the iPhone section showing how to replace the back cover of an iPhone that might be worth a look before you invest. I know you're asking about the iPod touch but some of the info might be useful. Definitely not a job for the faint-hearted or for those with too many thumbs, but you might like to have a look. There's a link at the end to another thread with instructions and 'how-to' photos.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/331524/

Some of the hardware is glued to the back on the iPhone too and needed strong solvent to get it off, with mixed results. It must be bad because you can now get the backplate complete with digitizer for over $100 extra.

If you're still interested, you can get an iPt backplate for $23.99 here:

http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-touch-c-256_421.html

How about one of Incase's protective covers that covers the back and leaves the whole screen free?

Attachments

• black2.jpg
    black2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 501
  • black4.jpg
    black4.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 391

mrdonnelly

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
I tried it works but not super amazing even using a buffer machine thing it just rubs off the "laser engraved" apple logo and ****.

If the Apple Logo or iPod sign wash off, your warranty is gone, same thing with the legal info at the bottom.
They just won't accept it.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
I would just save my money and buy a new one the next time a major update comes out, if it bothered me that much. But it wouldn't really matter to me if the back is not pretty if the device works as it should. Think of it as a positive: now that it is no longer pristine, you don't have to worry about scratching it.:D

JohnWasser

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
Back covers now available.

There are now several vendors of iPod Touch replacement parts and several of them carry the case backs. The ones I know of are:

rapidrepair.com $19.99
welovemacs.com $19.95 (8 or 16GB)
idemigods.com $16.05 (8 or 16GB)

The antenna, antenna cover, hold button, and screws are apparently not included. You'll have to move those from your existing cover. The antenna and cover come out easily enough. The contact flex-circuit for the hold switch is glued to the inside of the case. Warm the spot from the outside with something like a candle flame to soften the glue.

Be sure to use something softer than aluminum to open the case or you'll scratch the finish. I've found that the tip of a nylon zip-tie makes a good tool.

elpasi

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
I agree that scratches aren't nice to see, but after you've used your touch for a few years and the battery gets pretty bad, if you participate in the exchange program, you send in your touch and you receive another person's refurbished touch (Different Serial). So I'm of the opinion 'Yeah, I have scratches, but if I hide them with a case for now, when my touch has had its use and it is near dead, If I decide to swap batteries, I'll end up with someone else's touch'. At that point, I don't know if that one will have a clean back piece, or whether they will leave it how scratched up the old owner had it, in which case cleaning my touch carefully every day would be for nothing if I then received a horrendously scratched one. I hope for the former.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
If the Apple Logo or iPod sign wash off, your warranty is gone, same thing with the legal info at the bottom.
They just won't accept it.

so does opening your ipod, replacing the back, or trying to use the now changed serial number that disagrees with the software one.

dr.UMMER

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
iPod Touch 4th Backplate Replacement

I was able to replace back housing on my iPod Touch 4th generation.
I had cracked screen and decided to replace it, but since I had bent corners -new screen just cracked when I applied just a little pressure. I had no choice but replace the back.

I actually recorded the whole process exept for the screen replacement part, to save time.

Here is link to my Youtueb video.

Part 1: http://youtu.be/0ScpTGGqb3U

Part 2: http://youtu.be/SBRfagwk4II

I hope it'll give you good idea weather you wanna do it or not...

rreminga

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2014
go to repairsuniverse.com

i had the same problem with my ipod touch 5th generation so i looked it up on google and it found this site
enjoy good luck :D :) :cool: :apple: :p :) :D :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.