Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I have the 2012 mini, but I don't get the update in the App Store app. When I download it manually from Apple Support, it says the update is not for my computer.

mckey

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
Yep I installed it on my 2012 mac mini 2.6 GHZ i7 the other day when I got the software update message.No problems so far, I've done a few speed tests using wifi compared to wired ethernet via the airport extreme wireless router and get about the same speed results. :)

braddman

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Installed it, no difference, but then again you wouldn't see any difference in anything except stability when connecting to 5Ghz Wifi.

BingClawsby

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
i plan to get a mini and this has me wondering. i now use a '07 macbook with an airport express thats the same age.

1) will it work with a new mini?

2) since all my airport passwords and setup and whatnot were, and are, configured from my macbook... what happens with the mini?

do i just leave everything be and simply select my network from the wifi menu or do i need to go through a setup procedure for the express with the mini as well?

for example, when i got a pc laptop, it just saw my network and connected to it... simple. i'm assuming its the same for the mini... i just select my network...probably type in the password... and that'll be it, correct?

then i suppose at some point if i upgrade the express to a newer model, i can then use the mini as the configuration computer... and then i'd do the opposite from the macbook... just select the newer network i created for it to see, yes?

jacky28c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Thanks guys! Good to hear it isn't worse. Guess I will do the update tonight. :)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
1) will it work with a new mini?

2) since all my airport passwords and setup and whatnot were, and are, configured from my macbook... what happens with the mini?

1. Yes, but wifi tech has come along way since 2007, newer airports will be much faster with the new Mac Mini's
2. You configured your Express from your Macbook, but the Express retains all of it's data. All you will need to do is find your network (i.e. the express's network) from the Wifi icon in the top right hand corner and then it will ask you for your password and you just plop that in.

BingClawsby

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
1. Yes, but wifi tech has come along way since 2007, newer airports will be much faster with the new Mac Mini's
2. You configured your Express from your Macbook, but the Express retains all of it's data. All you will need to do is find your network (i.e. the express's network) from the Wifi icon in the top right hand corner and then it will ask you for your password and you just plop that in.

good to know, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.