Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I just bought a Magic Trackpad with Mac mini. I am a left-handed guy and I use the Magic Trackpad using my left hand lol.

Is it my problem for finding pain and stress while using the trackpad? Perhaps it's my posture problem. Can anyone post picture on the correct posture?

FYI, I really wish to keep trackpad but it is uncomfortable to use with. =[

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I just bought a Magic Trackpad with Mac mini. I am a left-handed guy and I use the Magic Trackpad using my left hand lol.

Is it my problem for finding pain and stress while using the trackpad? Perhaps it's my posture problem. Can anyone post picture on the correct posture?

I love the trackpad but if i know i am going to be using the computer for longer than 30 minutes to an hour I use a mouse. If i don't do this my hand gets a noticeable discomfort in it.

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I love the trackpad but if i know i am going to be using the computer for longer than 30 minutes to an hour I use a mouse. If i don't do this my hand gets a noticeable discomfort in it.

What mouse are you using now? Thought of getting a Magic Mouse. But does it have the same problem as the trackpad? Getting discomfort again then I waste money :(

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
What mouse are you using now? Thought of getting a Magic Mouse. But does it have the same problem as the trackpad? Getting discomfort again then I waste money :(

I use this mouse, it was almost 50 dollars when i bought it in 2011. its on sale right now. My hand doesn't get tired, even with the magic mouse the profile is too low for my liking and caused discomfort, this has more of a ergonomic feel to it for longer periods of time, IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Blueto...d=1356657529&sr=1-18&keywords=bluetooth+mouse

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
It does not support full screen apps switching right?

Correct it does not support, but i leave my trackpad out next to my apple keyboard and if i need to use gestures i do them on the trackpad, i find this to be way faster / more comfortable than using the trackpad exclusively. ML is really built around gestures.

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
I tried the Magic Trackpad and came to the same conclusion. It is uncomfortable for me to use for more than a few minutes at a time so it now sits over on the corner of my desk unused and turned off.

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
I have a love/hate relationship with the MT and keep a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball right next to it. I agree that it can be tiring to use, and that's when I move to the trackball, but I do using gestures to navigate.

I'm sure it's an ergonomics issue, and if I could get it set at the right height and angle, it would be fine.

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Can't agree more

I have a love/hate relationship with the MT and keep a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball right next to it. I agree that it can be tiring to use, and that's when I move to the trackball, but I do using gestures to navigate.

I'm sure it's an ergonomics issue, and if I could get it set at the right height and angle, it would be fine.

For me, it is also the stress that come from fingers that fingers should stay in air while using it.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I'm a lefty, and used the Magic Touchpad since it first came out. It's completely comfortable, and I wouldn't dream of going back to a mouse.

Check the height of your desk and chair. If your arm is being supported too highly by the desk, then that can cause stress.

natted

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Best thing to do with the Magic Trackpad is to use it combo with a mouse.

If you are left handed then use a mouse in the left hand and put the magic trackpad to the right hand side of your keyboard to use with your right hand.

Don't use the trackpad all the time, start using it mainly for scrolling and gestures. Use your mouse for fine pointer movement and menu navigation.

It'll take a bit of getting use but it works really well in combo with the mouse and by using both your hands (one hand mouse, the other trackpad) you'll actually reduce chance of fatigue.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I would also advise turning on tap to click. That's a lot less effort and strain than clicking the whole thing.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Another vote for a trackball with the addition of a gel wristpad from Staples. I've been using mechanical Kensington Orbit trackballs for years. Only your index finger moves and the buttons are programmable so common actions are quick and easy.

iWeekend

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
I tried the MTP for the 14 day trial and just couldn't get over the cramps either.

One day I'll try again with a new MTP, lifting up the 'click end', maybe on coasters or a hockey puck and see if having the pad essentially level helps.

Nate392

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
What helps me keeps from stressing my hand when using the Trackpad is just letting my thumb rest on the Trackpad while I'm using it, since it automatically rejects the thumb. It's a lot easier on my hand than holding my thumb in the air all the time.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012

I also used to experience wrist pain and soreness after extended use of the Magic Trackpad. Therefore when using my Mac Mini I now use a Belkin WaveRest Gel (model F8E244-BLK) wristpad with my Apple Magic Trackpad. It elevates the control hand about 3/4 inch above the Trackpad for easier control and gesturing. It works for both right handed and left handed users. It lessens the angle for your wrist which helps decrease potential carpal tunnel effects and it gives your wrist a soft place to rest other than a hard desktop surface. This model isn't the only option available. There are many other good brands of wrist pads/cusions you can choose from including Innovera and 3M brands. This particular Belkin model F8E244-BLK that I use can be purchased online for about $10 (approx. cost including shipping) from Amazon or Newegg.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.