Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
I seem to be automatically logged out fairly often these days... was the timer/cookie/whatever adjusted downwards recently?

I ask as I had a post I had worked on for maybe 20-30 minutes, and when I hit "submit new thread" I was told I was not logged in. I then tried the back button so I could copy what I had written, but no luck, post is gone.

Should I have just logged in, would that have preserved what I wrote?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I seem to be automatically logged out fairly often these days... was the timer/cookie/whatever adjusted downwards recently?

I ask as I had a post I had worked on for maybe 20-30 minutes, and when I hit "submit new thread" I was told I was not logged in. I then tried the back button so I could copy what I had written, but no luck, post is gone.

Not sure about any changes, but that's annoying and a major bummer, and has happened to me too. Even when logged in, I always open new windows if needing to review other stuff, cause when using the back-button, everything seems to be gone. I'm still running SL, and for anything of any length, once in a while I copy what I've got onto my desktop, just in case.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

I don't know if you're comfotable with this option, but if you check "Remember Me'" (or whatever the box says under the Log In spaces), you are never logged out automatically.

I have the box checked and have never encountered the problem.

Again...I don't know if you might have some reason to not check the box.:D

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Shrink, that may do the trick, it was unchecked. I don't remember un-checking it at any point though.

I do clear all cookies when quitting Safari, but I've been doing that for years now.

Weird.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
At least it is not as bad as one site I visit where I am sometimes logged out after a few hours even after telling it to remember me. I don't go there much because of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.