Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:18 PM   #1
stanw
macrumors 6502

Google knows where I work?

I've noticed that Google Now on my Note2 tells me how long its going to take to get from home to work everyday and from work to home (without me asking) based on traffic. I guess its pulling my home address from my contact, however, I have no idea how it knows where I work? I guess it is observing my daily driving pattern? I do not have my work address listed in my contact.
stanw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:21 PM   #2
mikegasol
Banned

Google knows everything about you and it even watches you shower too.
mikegasol is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:22 PM   #3
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw View Post
I've noticed that Google Now on my Note2 tells me how long its going to take to get from home to work everyday and from work to home (without me asking) based on traffic. I guess its pulling my home address from my contact, however, I have no idea how it knows where I work? I guess it is observing my daily driving pattern? I do not have my work address listed in my contact.
It knows by analyzing your location. If you're at the same place everyday during the day, it'll assume it's work. If you're at the same place every night, it'll assume that it's your home.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Rodster
macrumors 68030

It's probably because of the GPS and location service that's turned on.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
How do I get rid of that? I went to my friends house once and it thinks I work there now, It won't actually put my real work place in because it's not on Public roads so it wont recognise it.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:46 PM   #6
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
How do I get rid of that? I went to my friends house once and it thinks I work there now, It won't actually put my real work place in because it's not on Public roads so it wont recognise it.
On the card that says work, top right there are 3 dots, tap them to edit location. I hope that helps.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:39 PM   #7
F123D
macrumors 68040

Google Now thought I worked at an ATT store because I dropped by a couple times after receiving my phone.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:13 AM   #8
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Have a colleague at work that was dating two women at once and Google Now kept thinking one gal was "home" while the other was"work."

That could get you into serious trouble.....
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:25 PM   #9
F123D
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBigFeet View Post
Have a colleague at work that was dating two women at once and Google Now kept thinking one gal was "home" while the other was"work."

Dating two women at once? I agree. Have him edit the home and work addresses or turn off the commute feature.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:02 PM   #10
steviewhy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBigFeet View Post

He should assign whichever one is higher maintenance as "Work"
steviewhy is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

I'm not impressed with the route Google Now suggests I get to work. It suggest a route that takes more time than my regular route.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:45 PM   #12
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman06 View Post
I'm not impressed with the route Google Now suggests I get to work. It suggest a route that takes more time than my regular route.
That's all routing software. Assuming its not a new job you will probably know the best way to get there.

Of apple, google and Garmin only my stand alone Garmin takes me the fastest way to work.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:23 PM   #13
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviewhy View Post
He should assign whichever one is higher maintenance as "Work"
That is awesome!
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices