Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Not me! I swear! Maybe the thread is haunted or maybe a zombie mod did it.

What was the original title? Now you've got me curious about that.

They took "Official" out of the title. Maybe after a year, someone decided I couldn't name a thread official because I'm not a MR mod? Or, for the more conspiracy minded, maybe "they" took it out because they knew the Mac version is about to drop on Steam, and "they" wanted to break the story themselves with an official thread?

I dunno.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This must be ready for a Steam release soon, as it shows up in my Steam Mac library and I was even able to install it (6697MB). Once I tried to run it, though, it failed and gave an error that there was no executable.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
This must be ready for a Steam release soon, as it shows up in my Steam Mac library and I was even able to install it (6697MB). Once I tried to run it, though, it failed and gave an error that there was no executable.

just got the same. bought it for 5 euro in steam sale, pc only according to it, but it then appeared in my mac games list. downloaded it but says its missing an executable.

about to go on holiday and hopefully it'll appear when i come back.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Just to bring the thread back up to date, I think we finally got our game here guys! I was reading announcements this morning on the Steam phone app, and read where they're having a mid-week madness of Dead Island, to celebrate the arrival of the Mac version. 75% off, which is $4.99.

It could be an April Fool's joke, but it says the deal is good through April 4th. The Steam program on my Mac reflects the sale, and clicking on it for details gives conflicting data: it still only shows the Windows logo, but further down the page gives Mac minimum requirements

"OS: OS X 10.8 and newer
Processor: Intel Core i5 2.7 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVidia GeForce GT 640M 512MB"

Can anyone who's bought the game already for Windows confirm that it can be downloaded and played in OSX?

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Couldn't wait! Just bought it and am downloading it. It's a 5.2 GB file. Not bad. 45 minutes or so.

It shows up under my "Mac games" filter, if it matters.

katnoodle

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2006
Bath, UK
Well the news page for DI on Steam says... "In celebration of the just launched Mac version of Dead Island, Save 75% on the Dead Island series during this week's Midweek Madness!"

Dead Island news

And repeated here on Steam...

Steam news

If you click on 'package info' on the DI store page you'll see the main game is now for Mac - it's just the DLC that isn't (yet)!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They just need to updated the Steam Dead Island game page to show a Mac logo although there is Mac System requirements listed near the bottom of the page. :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This downloads and installs just fine despite saying Windows only on the store page. I've been playing it on my iMac and it runs great and is tons of fun :)

For those of you who have PC saves and would like to transfer your characters, I made a tutorial video on how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClIgB3BiWwE

I'm adding your link to the Mac Game Links Guide, here at MacRumors, that is when I can get into it and edit. That portion of MacRumors has been locked since the holidays when there was a site breach.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
It was a Virtual Programming port; they're kind of flaky. You can get Dying Light instead, which is basically Dead Island except better.

--Eric

pit256

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2014
I know but I already have a copy of DI and would like to play coop with a friend...
Anyway, thanks for the tip about Dying Light ;-)

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Dead Island is still on the Mac App Store, not sure what multiplayer options it has though.

--Eric

pit256

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2014
Unfortunately, coop playing with MAS version is not compatible with the Steam one...
And the MAS version is buggy as hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.