Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I tried to buy an iPhone 5 in the store and online from Apple (by calling in) and both places they tell me I can't get it without having it activated on an existing contract, or a new contract. (I prefer Verizon, but am flexible)

Where are the new SEALED iPhone 5's coming from, that people are putting up on Ebay? Are they from the USA?

I can't even get the iPhone 5 to come up on Apple.com for a full retail price, without the carrier.

Anyway, if anyone knows where the new sealed iPhone 5's are coming from, I'm extremely curious. Thanks!

traycraycray

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I tried to buy an iPhone 5 in the store and online from Apple (by calling in) and both places they tell me I can't get it without having it activated on an existing contract, or a new contract. (I prefer Verizon, but am flexible)

Where are the new SEALED iPhone 5's coming from, that people are putting up on Ebay? Are they from the USA?

I can't even get the iPhone 5 to come up on Apple.com for a full retail price, without the carrier.

Anyway, if anyone knows where the new sealed iPhone 5's are coming from, I'm extremely curious. Thanks!

People go wait in line at Apple stores really early to buy the phones and then sell them on eBay for more expensive!

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
But the store wouldn't sell me a new walk-out phone... I have to put it on a plan to get it, that's what I'm saying. They dont sell unlocked iP5's yet in the stores or apple.com

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Also, some people who have fulfilled the terms of their old contract, are now on month-to-month, have an available "upgrade" on their line, and need the extra money more than they do a new phone will buy a new iPhone 5 at the subsidized/new contract price (and so re-up for 2 more years with their carrier) and then turn around and sell the new phone and keep using their old phone. I have a couple of friends myself who have done this in the past.

I personally think it's kind of silly to tie yourself to your carrier for 2 more years without getting the benefit of a new phone out of it, but I think the people who choose to do this view it more like, hey, we don't anticipate changing carriers anytime soon, and depending on how much we can resell the phone for, we are in essence turning our phone upgrade into a cash kickback from the carrier for signing a new 2 year contract. Perhaps that's worth it to some people, especially if they are still happy with their old phone.

-- Nathan

airynmanj

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
I have to put it on a plan to get it, that's what I'm saying.
a112.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.