Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Mjmar
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Hate the screen but I can't stop using it

I have an iPad 3 so I know what retina on an iPad looks like; therefore, I naturally can't stand the non-retina screen on the mini. I keep telling myself that I'm going to return it but it seems kinda dumb considering I have been using it since I bought it. Games are perfect. I may just keep both iPads, one for reading and the other for games and movies. Anybody else find that they keep using the mini even though the screen is a couple years out of date?
Mjmar is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:12 AM   #2
LarryB08
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmar View Post
I have an iPad 3 so I know what retina on an iPad looks like; therefore, I naturally can't stand the non-retina screen on the mini. I keep telling myself that I'm going to return it but it seems kinda dumb considering I have been using it since I bought it. Games are perfect. I may just keep both iPads, one for reading and the other for games and movies. Anybody else find that they keep using the mini even though the screen is a couple years out of date?
The iPad mini is all that I use now too so why would you even think of returning it if you find yourself using it so much???? I am completely perplexed at why anyone would find the screen on the mini bad. I have an iPad as well and as far as anything I need or want to do, the iPad Mini's screen is just fine. And the size, particularly weight and thickness, is unparalleled. And that is why it is only the iPad Mini that I grab when I am on the go. I can't see myself using a full sized heavy iPad again.
LarryB08 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:15 AM   #3
steve dave
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Wait... The screen isn't retina?!?! What the hell? They are trying to keep it a secret! It's a conspiracy!!

Thank god you blew the cover off this! You are a groundbreaker
steve dave is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:26 AM   #4
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Is it like chocolate? you know when you like the shape of the chocolate bar and you like the weight but you know its not good for you but you don't take it back and eat it anyway?

No?...oh.
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:07 PM   #5
dancj
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB08 View Post
I am completely perplexed at why anyone would find the screen on the mini bad.
It's because the text is fuzzy. Once upon a time that was fine, but after retina display there's no way I'd go back to that.
dancj is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Anti-Lucifer
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
It's because the text is fuzzy. Once upon a time that was fine, but after retina display there's no way I'd go back to that.
Dude, I have an ipad 3, and ipad 4 now. The retina is great and all, but the form factor of the iPad 9.7" is just lame. I can't even hold it longer than I need to to enjoy games or reading. I need to stand it up on my table or on the table titled up with the screen cover to enjoy it.

Retina resolution is superior to the mini's 1024x768 IPS but the ipad mini would be used 100% more than my iPad 3/4! It's true it's very hard to move back down pixel density after retina but the biggest killer in the screen would be the color contrast, the color gamut, on the ipad 4, it's just so rich.
Anti-Lucifer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:31 AM   #7
LarryB08
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
It's because the text is fuzzy. Once upon a time that was fine, but after retina display there's no way I'd go back to that.
That's great for you so don't go back. But the original post mentioned how the mini was being used all the time but, gee, it just doesn't have a retina screen so I tell myself that I should return it.

It's that kind of thinking that sounds downright silly to me.

(Submitted on my iPad Mini comfortably held in one hand while typing with the other.).
LarryB08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:41 AM   #8
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
OP, I am in the same boat. I use the mini. I did not use the 3 as much. Its all about weight for me.

Selling the 3, will see what next year brings. Until then will use the mini.
ZipZap is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:09 AM   #9
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmar View Post
I have an iPad 3 so I know what retina on an iPad looks like; therefore, I naturally can't stand the non-retina screen on the mini. I keep telling myself that I'm going to return it but it seems kinda dumb considering I have been using it since I bought it. Games are perfect. I may just keep both iPads, one for reading and the other for games and movies. Anybody else find that they keep using the mini even though the screen is a couple years out of date?
The weight and size seem to outweigh the screen for some people. That's all well and good but what about the processor? What about watching movies and their size? What about audio quality? What about RAM? What about web pages in porttrait mode?

If one has no issues with the MINI, fine. I'm on the fence so we'll see.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:15 AM   #10
Mjmar
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
The weight and size seem to outweigh the screen for some people. That's all well and good but what about the processor? What about watching movies and their size? What about audio quality? What about RAM? What about web pages in porttrait mode?

If one has no issues with the MINI, fine. I'm on the fence so we'll see.
Everything that you mentioned is not noticeably different on the mini. Screen size is great for movies.

Edit: browsing in portrait mode is pretty bad because of the low res.
Mjmar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:26 AM   #11
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
...but what about the processor? What about watching movies and their size? What about audio quality? What about RAM? What about web pages in porttrait mode?
You mean the iPad Mini isn't the perfect device for everyone???
kodeman53 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:53 AM   #12
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmar View Post
Everything that you mentioned is not noticeably different on the mini. Screen size is great for movies.

Edit: browsing in portrait mode is pretty bad because of the low res.
Thanks for your feedback. I had the 3 at one time and I miss doing some things with it and I'll miss some others if I give up the Mini. No perfect device I guess?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
You mean the iPad Mini isn't the perfect device for everyone???
Lol. Can we use a template to create our iPad, submit it to be built and get our own perfect device for the holidays?
AppleRobert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:01 AM   #13
blackbear219
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I think both iPads are awesome in their own right and that people should use whichever one they enjoy more.

However, if you can't hold the 10" iPad for more than 5 minutes without your arms getting tired, you need to get outside more...or maybe go to Wal-mart and buy some 1 pound gramma weights and start doing some curls.
blackbear219 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:05 AM   #14
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbear219 View Post
I think both iPads are awesome in their own right and that people should use whichever one they enjoy more.

However, if you can't hold the 10" iPad for more than 5 minutes without your arms getting tired, you need to get outside more...or maybe go to Wal-mart and buy some 1 pound gramma weights and start doing some curls.
Strength isn't the issue, it is comfortable level. I had the 3 for awhile. I had to keep changing hands or grasp it differently. It isn't heavy per se and obviously the Mini is more portable.

Next question.
AppleRobert is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:06 AM   #15
noteple
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Like the mini for what it is and starting to ignore the comparisons to its larger siblings.
noteple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:05 AM   #16
djransom
macrumors 68040
 
djransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chi-Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Strength isn't the issue, it is comfortable level. I had the 3 for awhile. I had to keep changing hands or grasp it differently. It isn't heavy per se and obviously the Mini is more portable.

Next question.
I agree with this 110%
__________________
Live and love life
djransom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:52 AM   #17
ercsliberty
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
this mini sure does grow on you. love it
ercsliberty is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:17 AM   #18
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
I have the iPad 3 as well and since getting the iPad mini I have barely used the iPad 3. I use the iPad mini all the time. I have in issues with the screen at all. I don't get why everyone is so up in arms over it. I AM familiar with retina. I used an iPhone 4 since the day it was released and an iPhone 5 since the day it was released, in addition the iPad 3 since July. I just prefer the size and weight of the mini. I don't feel it's a step backward at all.
__________________
Scott
iMac, MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, iPad Retina Mini WiFi+Cell, iPad 4 WiFi+Cell, iPod Classic, Apple TV
ScottNWDW is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:46 PM   #19
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercsliberty View Post
this mini sure does grow on you. love it
Didn't take long at all for me. Once I saw it at Best Buy noticed the size and weight and trying it out, I knew I had to have it.

It will be hard to part with it but eventually I think I will be better off with a larger better bigger brother in wanting to keep one of those longer.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:48 PM   #20
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by noteple View Post
Like the mini for what it is and starting to ignore the comparisons to its larger siblings.
This is good advice.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:15 PM   #21
Dan14
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercsliberty View Post
this mini sure does grow on you. Love it
+1
Dan14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #22
GrandPhrase
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post
Dude, I have an ipad 3, and ipad 4 now. The retina is great and all, but the form factor of the iPad 9.7" is just lame. I can't even hold it longer than I need to to enjoy games or reading. I need to stand it up on my table or on the table titled up with the screen cover to enjoy it.

Retina resolution is superior to the mini's 1024x768 IPS but the ipad mini would be used 100% more than my iPad 3/4! It's true it's very hard to move back down pixel density after retina but the biggest killer in the screen would be the color contrast, the color gamut, on the ipad 4, it's just so rich.
I think reducing its weight for the next iPad generation would help out a Ton. Would reduce the impression pf its 9.7 size.
__________________
iPhone 5, 13" Macbook Pro, iPad 3

Last edited by GrandPhrase; Nov 23, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
GrandPhrase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:20 PM   #23
dancj
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB08 View Post
That's great for you so don't go back. But the original post mentioned how the mini was being used all the time but, gee, it just doesn't have a retina screen so I tell myself that I should return it.
That's fine. I understand and appreciate that plenty of people love the iPad Mini and aren't bothered by the resolution. My comment was purely aimed at the person who said "I am completely perplexed at why anyone would find the screen on the mini bad."
dancj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:28 PM   #24
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
It's because the text is fuzzy. Once upon a time that was fine, but after retina display there's no way I'd go back to that.
This
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hate the Gays, Hate the Capitalists Christian right steals rights. steve knight Politics, Religion, Social Issues 4 May 1, 2014 02:18 PM
No! Stop dimming the screen! Spytap MacBook Air 17 Aug 12, 2013 04:04 PM
How do I get my screen to stop jumping? Goofy Yno Mac Peripherals 1 Jan 13, 2013 11:29 PM
Apple and Samsung Moving into 'Hate-Hate' Relationship MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 206 Oct 17, 2012 10:58 PM
Why I hate the newly released Retina screen on the MacBook Pro brig2221 MacBook Pro 13 Jul 3, 2012 01:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC