Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old May 3, 2013, 03:19 AM   #1
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

Call of Duty 2 Mac App Store

Is the app store version of this game still as buggy as it was in the beginning ? Have there been updates ?
Old May 12, 2013, 01:13 AM   #2
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
Is the app store version of this game still as buggy as it was in the beginning ? Have there been updates ?
Its pretty good from what i've played. not that buggy
Old May 30, 2013, 04:16 PM   #3
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

I keep getting tiny little split second pauses/stutters every time something new loads while in the middle of a mission (i.e. some new directive or whatever). It may have something to do with my RAID0 configuration on my Mac Mini or there might be something interrupting it or it may be something with the game. I don't know if anyone else has experienced it or not. Otherwise, I have the game running at the native resolution of my widescreen monitor (1650x1050) and it's as smooth as it can be until that weirdness occurs once in awhile (every couple of minutes on average, although sometimes more often; it depends on what's going on in the game I think). It just stops for a split second then continues on, creating a "jump" in the action (like a stutter, but doesn't keep doing it and doesn't appear to be related to any amount of things happening on the screen what-so-ever).

The thing is I've seen similar effects while playing Lucasfilm games in a virtualized WindowsXP environment so I'm starting to suspect there's either an OSX issue in general going on or something with the RAID0 configuration (don't recall offhand whether it did it or not before RAID0; I suppose I could boot off the external CCC backup drive instead and run it from there and see if there's any difference).

Edit:

I tried the external drive. It does seem like the pauses were less, usually barely noticeable, at least on the level I was on so I do get the feeling the hard drive and/or drivers are involved somehow. RAID0 should be faster (and does boot and copy MUCH faster, but it seems like the game is affected by something it's doing slightly more than the external). I don't think the test is conclusive, however. I'll try the same level with the RAID0 drive, but a machine of this speed should not have an issue loading and running something at the same time with 4 CPU (and 8 thread) i7 cores.

Last edited by MagnusVonMagnum; May 30, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
MagnusVonMagnum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 04:54 PM   #4
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

A hint on a Diablo 3 forum got rid of my stutter problem with Call of Duty 2 and 4. I bought a SanDisk 32GB USB3 thumb drive (supposedly a USB2 drive works also) and copied the games over to them before running them. The stutter issue is 100% gone when run from that memory drive (even though it's mostly slower than the RAID0 drive even with a USB3 version; random access may be better and there might be an issue with a driver somewhere or something).
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Soccer5se
macrumors member

I've had no problems running this game at high res. The game is smooth and I get really high frame rates. Online play is also excellent.
Soccer5se is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

COD2 is now available on Steam as well for the Mac. It's only 2 euro more expensive so I guess better get that version then ?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:42 AM   #7
james1758
macrumors regular

I havent had any major problems with this game at current.
aTV 2, JB
james1758 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:17 AM   #8
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
COD2 is now available on Steam as well for the Mac. It's only 2 euro more expensive so I guess better get that version then ?
The two versions should be the same once you've downloaded them. You might even be able to copy the .app file out of your Steam folder into the standard Applications folder and have it work exactly the same as the App Store edition; no need to run Steam while playing. If that's the case (haven't tried it myself), I would get the Steam version because the downloads tend to be faster and more reliable.
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games