Don't Be Evil, Google! - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:23 AM   #26
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
You are absolutely incorrect. "Don't be evil" has nothing to do with marketing, it is the mantra. It applies to everyone in the company, as it is essentially the code of conduct. Everyone at Google is expected to abide by it and not "be evil". Simply put, it's all a part of the culture at Google and the way things operate there.
It has everything to do with marketing, and while you may have an opinion that its a code of conduct, I see a company with a "do no evil yet" blurb yet decides that they want to own everything. That is they try to retain the rights to anything that lands on their server, pictures, emails, etc. They get caught from time to time and re-amend their privacy rules.

Simply put they are a company that has one purpose - to make money. They will attempt to do that within the confines of the law and at times they will push the limits like in the linked safari lawsuit.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:49 AM   #27
kevinof
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ireland
Same can be said for every for-profit company on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Simply put they are a company that has one purpose - to make money. They will attempt to do that within the confines of the law and at times they will push the limits ...
kevinof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:58 AM   #28
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinof View Post
Same can be said for every for-profit company on the planet.
That's my point and making money is not in of itself evil, though some people do consider it bad. I know google scans emails so they can sell the information and provide ad revenue. Is that evil when they state it up front, perhaps not and as a choice I decide not to use gmail. When they in their privacy statement that by posting images in googleplus or using google docs gives them Perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive license rights to that information, that might cross the line in my book (I believe they backed off on that however). Then there is their bookscanning attempt even if the author and publishers do not want their material scanned (its a lot more complex)

To summarize, making money is not bad, willingly bypassing security in safari to access data for their own gain well that's not really kosher is it.
__________________
~Mike Flynn

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 30, 2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: grammar
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:20 AM   #29
Lindsford
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Lol everyone is sooo concerned about there precious privacy. Meanwhile they are checking into to a local restaurant on facebook and posting a picture of exactly what they bought.

I wish people would be more private so it would annoy me less.
I posted a picture of an extremely burnt piece of lasagne Carrabbas tried to let me eat with out checking the plate first, does that mean they will steal my information and market better restaurants for me?
Lindsford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:41 AM   #30
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siyah View Post
Because Apple is not accused of breaking European Data Protection Law and seems to show more of an effort to ensure compliance by appointing former deputy data protection commissioner Gary Davis as head of privacy in Europe.



link: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...329252816.html

While,



link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...phone-tracking

Apple is not as evil as Google
If that's the best you've got, then I'd beg to differ.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
It has everything to do with marketing, and while you may have an opinion that its a code of conduct, I see a company with a "do no evil yet" blurb yet decides that they want to own everything. That is they try to retain the rights to anything that lands on their server, pictures, emails, etc. They get caught from time to time and re-amend their privacy rules.

Simply put they are a company that has one purpose - to make money. They will attempt to do that within the confines of the law and at times they will push the limits like in the linked safari lawsuit.
WRONG. It is not my OPINION that "Don't be Evil" is essentially the code of conduct governing everyone at Google, it is a FACT. It isn't a marketing slogan or anything like that. It is the mantra and is an expectation that all employees are expected to adhere to. This isn't opinion, this is fact. The entire atmosphere there is based on "Don't be Evil".
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:11 PM   #31
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
People are choosing convenience over privacy. Unfortunately because unintelligent people do not value their privacy, many companies have decided they can keep doing whatever they want.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:07 PM   #32
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsford View Post
I posted a picture of an extremely burnt piece of lasagne Carrabbas tried to let me eat with out checking the plate first, does that mean they will steal my information and market better restaurants for me?
Is that what I said or is that what YOU are saying I said? The restaurant was obviously a generic reference about how little people care about privacy (like you broadcasting where you were, what time you were there, what you ordered and how it was cooked).

I'm sure if google took that information and referred you to a better place you'd be upset about it though.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:41 PM   #33
Lindsford
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Is that what I said or is that what YOU are saying I said? The restaurant was obviously a generic reference about how little people care about privacy (like you broadcasting where you were, what time you were there, what you ordered and how it was cooked).

I'm sure if google took that information and referred you to a better place you'd be upset about it though.
I was in Colorado Springs, at a Carrabbas and had lasagne. I would not be upset if google took that information and emailed me coupons for places similar.
Lindsford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:45 PM   #34
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsford View Post
I was in Colorado Springs, at a Carrabbas and had lasagne. I would not be upset if google took that information and emailed me coupons for places similar.
Because that's not a sensitive thing for most of us. What if you were a young girl who was investigating terminating a pregnancy (no decision made yet, just looking into it), and started getting ads, emails, and banner ads for those services because of your inquiries?

Tactless.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:59 AM   #35
k995
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1202558.ece

This is bad, but those of us who doubted the saintly stated motives of Google probably aren't surprised.
Collecting data as such is nit evil, even selling it on depending on how the data is given doesnt have tio be "evil" .

More fearmongering , your life is known period, wether google tracks you or not . If you dont want that, stop using most electronic devices.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Because that's not a sensitive thing for most of us. What if you were a young girl who was investigating terminating a pregnancy (no decision made yet, just looking into it), and started getting ads, emails, and banner ads for those services because of your inquiries?

Tactless.
Yes because abortion clinics openly advertise all troughout the media. Non issue as you can give sch examples for any technology.
k995 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:28 PM   #36
Lindsford
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Because that's not a sensitive thing for most of us. What if you were a young girl who was investigating terminating a pregnancy (no decision made yet, just looking into it), and started getting ads, emails, and banner ads for those services because of your inquiries?

Tactless.
Lol Did you really just whip out such a ridiculous scenario?

Please, explain to me what kind of ads email and banner ads come with abortions?

2-for-1 special?



I know of an individual who has gone through that process. I've never heard them say Man, I keep getting these Abortion emails. I wish they would stop!

The only valid reason I could see you being upset about sharing data is if you keep posting on social media where you're at, while people know you're 1,500 miles away and no one is watching your stuff...that could be a problem. And a dead give away from thieves. Only valid argument imho. If google takes what I search and am interested in their adds more power to them. I still won't click them.

Also If you use noscript and firefox you often don't see these adds. If you're aware enough to care about how they use your information you should be aware enough to avoid it.

(Not using real info on facebook, use an alias or nickname...etc etc) very basic things.
Lindsford is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:41 PM   #37
walie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I take it none of you privacy freaks use Google Now then.


Is fantastic by the way.
walie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:55 PM   #38
praktical
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma City Oklahoma.
Post Don't be evil Google

Guys at the end of the day who cares who monitors who. The fact of it is we are constantly being monitored one way or the other. The key thing is to ensure we're on the right side of the fence as much as we can. Whether it be Google, the FBI, NSA, Apple etc the fact is we do not live in a society where we are truly free so we make the best of what we have and stay within the boundaries of the law.
praktical is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:30 PM   #39
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsford View Post
Lol Did you really just whip out such a ridiculous scenario?

Please, explain to me what kind of ads email and banner ads come with abortions?

2-for-1 special?



I know of an individual who has gone through that process. I've never heard them say Man, I keep getting these Abortion emails. I wish they would stop!

The only valid reason I could see you being upset about sharing data is if you keep posting on social media where you're at, while people know you're 1,500 miles away and no one is watching your stuff...that could be a problem. And a dead give away from thieves. Only valid argument imho. If google takes what I search and am interested in their adds more power to them. I still won't click them.

Also If you use noscript and firefox you often don't see these adds. If you're aware enough to care about how they use your information you should be aware enough to avoid it.

(Not using real info on facebook, use an alias or nickname...etc etc) very basic things.
The fact that you can so easily come up with another valid reason to not so liberally have Google (et al) share quite so much of my data while trying to argue against my point, speaks volumes!

Thank you for the fortification, sir.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by praktical View Post
Guys at the end of the day who cares who monitors who. The fact of it is we are constantly being monitored one way or the other. The key thing is to ensure we're on the right side of the fence as much as we can. Whether it be Google, the FBI, NSA, Apple etc the fact is we do not live in a society where we are truly free so we make the best of what we have and stay within the boundaries of the law.
So, it sounds like what you're arguing for is for us to just not do anything that we'd be embarrassed to have come out on the evening news, and everything will be okay??

I hope I'm wrong.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:18 AM   #40
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Because that's not a sensitive thing for most of us. What if you were a young girl who was investigating terminating a pregnancy (no decision made yet, just looking into it), and started getting ads, emails, and banner ads for those services because of your inquiries?

Tactless.
Pretty sure you can turn off targeted advertising.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:37 AM   #41
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Pretty sure you can turn off targeted advertising.
You can also view your "advertisement" profile for your google account and edit it freely.

Also can someone post a credible source that says Google actually sells your information? From what I gather they retain your information and just direct ads at you based on what they think they know about you. In a sense it is the same thing but your information never leaves Google. Why would they give away your information for a one time fee when they can charge advertising companies over and over to target newer ads.
__________________
I own stuff that is cool and fits my needs.
TheHateMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:12 PM   #42
walie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateMachine View Post
You can also view your "advertisement" profile for your google account and edit it freely.

Also can someone post a credible source that says Google actually sells your information? From what I gather they retain your information and just direct ads at you based on what they think they know about you. In a sense it is the same thing but your information never leaves Google. Why would they give away your information for a one time fee when they can charge advertising companies over and over to target newer ads.
Who needs a source, since all the apple fanboys/tin foil wearers say it, it must be true!!
walie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:54 AM   #43
SeanR1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Interesting read
http://t.co/hXjo9DcQWS
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:10 AM   #44
sentinelsx
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Everyone tracks me anyways. Some less, some more, so meh.

I disabled google now, NOT because it tracks what i do on the phone, but because i found it useless and would rather gain an extra few minutes of battery life by turning it off than simply having it there sucking power for no reason.
sentinelsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:15 AM   #45
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
I would rather have no adverts, that won't happen so I would prefer adverts that are aimed at my interest rather than random. If you want to know where I've been, in this day of electronic surveillance cameras it's not that difficult.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:42 PM   #46
Siyah
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
The issue is more complicated than simple ad targeting.

Quote:
Android application developer Dan Nolan claims that the Google Play store sends software developers the names, approximated locations, and email addresses of every individual that downloads one of their applications.

Nolan created a “Paul Keating Insult Generator” application that is apparently quite popular in Australia. Nolan claims he recently logged into his Google Play account to update his payment options. When he visited the merchant account section, he noticed that Google Play was sending him the email address, approximate location, and, in some cases, full names of every person that downloaded his application.

Google Play orders, Nolan explains, are being treated like Google Wallet transactions, meaning that software developers are receiving all the same information about application orders – with the exception of exact addresses - that merchants would receive about people ordering actual merchandise.
link: http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/go...pp-devs-021413


On iOS you can deny permission requests and still use the app. See below:

Quote:
Data Privacy

In addition to location data, the system now asks the user’s permission before allowing third-party apps to access certain user data, including:

Contacts

Calendars

Reminders

Photo Library

For contact, calendar, and reminder data, your app needs to be prepared to be denied access to these items and to adjust its behavior accordingly. If the user has not yet been prompted to allow access, the returned structure is valid but contains no records. If the user has denied access, the app receives a NULL value or no data. If the user grants permission to the app, the system subsequently notifies the app that it needs to reload or revert the data.

For the photo library, the existing interface supports the app being denied access.
Siyah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:48 PM   #47
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
People are choosing convenience over privacy. Unfortunately because unintelligent people do not value their privacy, many companies have decided they can keep doing whatever they want.
Do you know what else unintelligent people do? Rather than actually researching about exactly what Google will and won't do with their data, they pass on rubbish obtained from third parties as fact and get reactionary.
SlCKB0Y is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:34 PM   #48
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I would rather have no adverts, that won't happen so I would prefer adverts that are aimed at my interest rather than random. If you want to know where I've been, in this day of electronic surveillance cameras it's not that difficult.
I agree. I wish television worked similar. I can't even watch TV anymore the ads are just ridiculous. From the drug-of-the-month in one ad to the lawsuit for last month's drug-of-the-month in the next. Ugh.




Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mobile OSs: Microsoft's new ad campaign against Google: 'Don't Get Scroogled' rMBA13 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 13 May 17, 2013 10:26 AM
Would you say that with a Google Voice and iPod touch, you don't even need a phone? piatti iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 7 Nov 3, 2012 01:50 PM
Don't like Google's new Youtube App for iOS 6? Try Jasmine! SheepNutz iOS 6 15 Sep 23, 2012 07:37 AM
Why don't google patent Android stuff to get iPhones banned? gladoscc Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 53 Jul 7, 2012 06:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC