Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
With Apple’s new Mac Pro set to release later this year, many have wondered whether Apple is planning on releasing a new display to accompany their new professional-level Mac. Apple’s repeated mentions of 4K support for the new Mac Pro during their WWDC keynote (and their official Mac Pro site) are more than a little interesting, and the Thunderbolt display is, in fact, overdue for an update – so I decided to do a bit of checking around on retail stock levels.

What I found was particularly interesting: Apple is apparently actively halting new Mac Pro shipments to resellers - which I have confirmed with multiple resellers in my most recent supply investigation.

http://www.mactrast.com/2013/06/app...ts-to-resellers-ahead-of-new-mac-pro-release/

I think many of you will agree this is more than a little bit interesting, especially considering Apple's history of releasing new displays alongside new Mac Pro models.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
With Apple’s new Mac Pro set to release later this year, many have wondered whether Apple is planning on releasing a new display to accompany their new professional-level Mac. Apple’s repeated mentions of 4K support for the new Mac Pro during their WWDC keynote (and their official Mac Pro site) are more than a little interesting, and the Thunderbolt display is, in fact, overdue for an update – so I decided to do a bit of checking around on retail stock levels.

What I found was particularly interesting: Apple is apparently actively halting new Mac Pro shipments to resellers - which I have confirmed with multiple resellers in my most recent supply investigation.

http://www.mactrast.com/2013/06/app...ts-to-resellers-ahead-of-new-mac-pro-release/

I think many of you will agree this is more than a little bit interesting, especially considering Apple's history of releasing new displays alongside new Mac Pro models.

Ofc they will be halting shipments of the current Mac Pro as its outdated and I don't think that many will buy it.

Even more interesting and adding to the rumours, they released a 4K version of the Mavericks wallpaper... Interesting eh?

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Ofc they will be halting shipments of the current Mac Pro as its outdated and I don't think that many will buy it.

Even more interesting and adding to the rumours, they released a 4K version of the Mavericks wallpaper... Interesting eh?

Not really, they had a 4k wallpaper for Mountain Lion also. It proves nothing. For the record, I do think a 4K display is on the way though. Eventually.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
IMO new Thunderbolt Displays are probably more closely linked with new Macbook Pros than new Mac Pros. The Thunderbolt Display doesn't even use Magsafe 2, does it?

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
IMO new Thunderbolt Displays are probably more closely linked with new Macbook Pros than new Mac Pros. The Thunderbolt Display doesn't even use Magsafe 2, does it?

No - at least, not without an adapter.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I think a new 27" Thunderbolt display is likely with Thunderbolt 2, USB3, Magsafe 2 connections, plus display style from the latest iMac so that there are less reflections and it is slimmer.

There might be a second model (Apple used to have 23" and 30" models at the same time, so it is something they have done before) coming as well to suit the Mac Pro, but I am a little doubtful of that happening. But if it does, I expect they will use the 31.5" 4K panel that Sharp produce.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I wonder if USB3 on a Thunderbolt display would be workable. Is there enough bandwidth to to sustain all the other components and a few USB 3 ports? I suppose Thunderbolt 2 would help and some fraction of USB3's speed is better than USB2.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I don't find the "low inventory" evidence very convincing. Before WWDC an article went around on this meme, citing low Amazon inventory for example. I checked on the first day of WWDC and it had jumped to 20+ systems.

Grasping at straws ... the evidence is weak, and at any rate we are probably a few months before a new Mac Pro (and any possible Cinema refresh).

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I'm curious if the first Pros could be made in current factories, not in USA....

evilpaddy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
I'm fairly sure that in the Keynote, Apple stated 'third party 4k' screens. No mention of Apple ones if i remember correctly...

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I wonder if USB3 on a Thunderbolt display would be workable. Is there enough bandwidth to to sustain all the other components and a few USB 3 ports?

The vast majority of USB 3.0 discrete controllers are x1 PCI-e v2.0 devices. The Thunderbolt controller in the Thunderbolt display set up as a switch to four x1 lanes has bandwidth for:

x1 1Gb Ethernet controller
x1 FW800 controller
x1 USB 3.0 controller
x1 USB 2.0 audio/video specific controller.

I suppose Thunderbolt 2 would help and some fraction of USB3's speed is better than USB2.

With latency and somewhat with congestion but not really. The discrete controllers pretty much do most of the throttling from the maximum theoretical speed. Moving to TB v2 changes nothing in that respect. It is still likely just a x4 PCIe v2.0 bandwidth switch from the PCI-e controllers perspective.

TB v2 will get closer to max x4 v2.0 cap so that under heavy load should better but not going to be huge difference.

----------

I'm curious if the first Pros could be made in current factories, not in USA....

There is about zero rational reason to do that. Duplicate tooling and jigs and completely different subcomponents logistics distribution pattern? Why?

Sure if Apple was selling 4-5 million a year and made sense to run them both concurrently for an extended period of time, but at these low numbers there is no good motivation to do that.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

The TB display is basically a hollowed out iMac. Right now an iMac has

USB 3.0
Nuked FW ( but kind of dumb to nuke it from TB display also).
better screen-glass solution.

Throw in Magsafe 2 and it is way off what the upcoming MBP updates will have.

It probably makes sense not to wait for Thunderbolt v2 controllers to arrive.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think a new 27" Thunderbolt display is likely with Thunderbolt 2, USB3, Magsafe 2 connections, plus display style from the latest iMac so that there are less reflections and it is slimmer.

works for me! :)

----------

I'm fairly sure that in the Keynote, Apple stated 'third party 4k' screens. No mention of Apple ones if i remember correctly...

I'd be shocked if they didn't come out with a refreshed screen around the MP release date. Maybe not 4k but something. That said, I think I read something today about yet more yield problems on these imac style screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.