Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
I have been trying to add some of my own wallpapers to my new iPad 4. Initially, I set the resolution at 2,048 x 1,536 until I read people saying that it is better, for scalability, to set it at 2,048 x 2,048. While I noticed a quality improvement after doing this, they seem to translate even worse in landscape. For instance, a picture will look fine in portrait, only for the subject's head to get chopped off in landscape, not to mention it looks more zoomed in. Despite a reduction in quality, the problem was far less severe at the original resolution.

Are their any ways to reduce this issue, from repositioning the picture (putting the subject in the center), to finding another resolution? I'm loving the retina display, but I'd love it even more if my wallpapers weren't chopped off!

Thanks!

jlinear

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
A 2048 x 2048 picture will get chopped...

Knowing that my 2048 x 2048 wallpaper will inevitably be chopped off at the sides in portrait mode and at the top & bottom in landscape mode I usually do the following: I either crop the picture appropriately so that the most aesthetically pleasing part of the composition is centered. Or I shrink the picture adding an appropriate border so that it is the border that gets chopped and not the picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.