Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:21 AM   #76
NickBoy98
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that the new iMac computers will have the RAM soldered onto the logic board. It's the natural evolution of where Apple are heading with their computers. The less upgradeable the computer is the quicker people will need to upgrade thus making more money for Apple.

You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.
No it won't the reason it was in the rMBP is because they needed it to be ULTRA-THIN, there is no reason for a desktop computer to be ULTRA-THIN because it is not portable!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Apple know soldered RAM is no big deal. Away from this forum, what percentage of real world customers ever upgrade RAM during the lifetime of a Mac? I bet it's in the single figures.
Yea I know... a lot of people think about it but when push comes to shove they say **** it!
NickBoy98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:30 AM   #77
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mac Fan View Post
This is a big mistake for apple , I will not ever buy a new mac laptop again because they glue everything down now and make it so that you cannot make simple upgrades .
Um, only their extremely thin models lack upgradability. The standard size models still let you replace the HD/RAM/Optibay as before.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:44 AM   #78
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
Every day that goes by without a refresh is further proof of soldered RAM in iMacs.
On behalf of everyone else on this thread, I hereby award you a

-10 downvote

for a truly stupid non sequitur.
gnasher729 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:03 PM   #79
HenryJobs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
The thing I don't understand is what Apple has to gain from soldering the iMacs RAM. They did it in the rMBP to conserve space, but that doesn't matter for the iMac and they know it would infuriate so many iMac buyers and create bad PR about epeat standards and so on.

Think about the big marketing deal they made about the rubber cap on the bottom of the Mac mini and how easy it was to upgrade RAM from there.
HenryJobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:12 PM   #80
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a
 
Johnf1285's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryJobs View Post
The thing I don't understand is what Apple has to gain from soldering the iMacs RAM. They did it in the rMBP to conserve space, but that doesn't matter for the iMac and they know it would infuriate so many iMac buyers and create bad PR about epeat standards and so on.

Think about the big marketing deal they made about the rubber cap on the bottom of the Mac mini and how easy it was to upgrade RAM from there.
Very good point! They did market the crap out of that ease of ram upgradeability when the unibody mini came out in 2010.
Johnf1285 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:37 AM   #81
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that the new iMac computers will have the RAM soldered onto the logic board. It's the natural evolution of where Apple are heading with their computers. The less upgradeable the computer is the quicker people will need to upgrade thus making more money for Apple.

You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.
You were saying?
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:10 AM   #82
Puevlo
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
You were saying?
21.5 inch iMac RAM is not user replaceable. As close enough to soldered RAM as you will find. You were saying?
Puevlo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:30 AM   #83
bill phillips
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
gotta give it to em, he called it back in july when everyone thought he was nuts

----------

well hes half right at least lol
bill phillips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:41 AM   #84
opeter
macrumors 6502a
 
opeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Slovenia (EU)
The same will happen to all Macs, sooner or later.
__________________
My cartoon hero: www.dangermouse.org
opeter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:15 AM   #85
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
21.5 inch iMac RAM is not user replaceable. As close enough to soldered RAM as you will find. You were saying?
Its not soldered.... Its can be replaced. You were wrong.
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:26 AM   #86
joe-h2o
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
21.5 inch iMac RAM is not user replaceable. As close enough to soldered RAM as you will find. You were saying?
It uses standard 204-pin SODIMM modules, in both the 21" and 27" machine.

The absolute, totally 100%, diametrically opposed situation to "soldered onto the logic board". It's too late to change your argument to make yourself seem right. You can scrunch your face up as much as you like and wish really hard, but it won't make reality go away.

Is that egg on your face? The yolk's on you.
joe-h2o is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:24 AM   #87
MeFromHere
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill phillips View Post
gotta give it to em, he called it back in july when everyone thought he was nuts

----------

well hes half right at least lol
He was completely wrong.
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:58 AM   #88
ericbreiter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
21.5 inch iMac RAM is not user replaceable. As close enough to soldered RAM as you will find. You were saying?
Sorry kid, you're wrong. I wish you a Happy New Year and better luck with your predictions next year. As already pointed out, you can not score any points in here by changing your predictions retroactively. Half right does not make it right.
ericbreiter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:06 AM   #89
ndpitch
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbreiter View Post
Sorry kid, you're wrong. I wish you a Happy New Year and better luck with your predictions next year. As already pointed out, you can not score any points in here by changing your predictions retroactively. Half right does not make it right.
Agreed. It wasn't a correct prediction. Still, it was a worthy one - it just didn't come true.

No hard feelings Puevlo, I can see why you predicted it. Maybe on the next iteration/generation of iMacs.
ndpitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:10 PM   #90
bill phillips
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFromHere View Post
He was completely wrong.
i know, but he was pretty close,
bill phillips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:54 PM   #91
Acorn
macrumors 68020
 
Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill phillips View Post
i know, but he was pretty close,
I agree with you. considering its major brain surgery just to add ram in the 21 it is close enough.
__________________
2013 Macbook Air
Acorn is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC