Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:21 AM   #76
NickBoy98
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that the new iMac computers will have the RAM soldered onto the logic board. It's the natural evolution of where Apple are heading with their computers. The less upgradeable the computer is the quicker people will need to upgrade thus making more money for Apple.

You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.
No it won't the reason it was in the rMBP is because they needed it to be ULTRA-THIN, there is no reason for a desktop computer to be ULTRA-THIN because it is not portable!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Apple know soldered RAM is no big deal. Away from this forum, what percentage of real world customers ever upgrade RAM during the lifetime of a Mac? I bet it's in the single figures.
Yea I know... a lot of people think about it but when push comes to shove they say **** it!
NickBoy98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:30 AM   #77
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mac Fan View Post
This is a big mistake for apple , I will not ever buy a new mac laptop again because they glue everything down now and make it so that you cannot make simple upgrades .
Um, only their extremely thin models lack upgradability. The standard size models still let you replace the HD/RAM/Optibay as before.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:44 AM   #78
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Every day that goes by without a refresh is further proof of soldered RAM in iMacs.
On behalf of everyone else on this thread, I hereby award you a

-10 downvote

for a truly stupid non sequitur.
gnasher729 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:03 PM   #79
HenryJobs
macrumors member

The thing I don't understand is what Apple has to gain from soldering the iMacs RAM. They did it in the rMBP to conserve space, but that doesn't matter for the iMac and they know it would infuriate so many iMac buyers and create bad PR about epeat standards and so on.

Think about the big marketing deal they made about the rubber cap on the bottom of the Mac mini and how easy it was to upgrade RAM from there.
HenryJobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:12 PM   #80
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryJobs View Post
The thing I don't understand is what Apple has to gain from soldering the iMacs RAM. They did it in the rMBP to conserve space, but that doesn't matter for the iMac and they know it would infuriate so many iMac buyers and create bad PR about epeat standards and so on.

Think about the big marketing deal they made about the rubber cap on the bottom of the Mac mini and how easy it was to upgrade RAM from there.
Very good point! They did market the crap out of that ease of ram upgradeability when the unibody mini came out in 2010.
Johnf1285 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:37 AM   #81
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
There is no doubt in my mind that the new iMac computers will have the RAM soldered onto the logic board. It's the natural evolution of where Apple are heading with their computers. The less upgradeable the computer is the quicker people will need to upgrade thus making more money for Apple.

You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.
You were saying?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:10 AM   #82
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
You were saying?
21.5 inch iMac RAM is not user replaceable. As close enough to soldered RAM as you will find. You were saying?
Puevlo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:30 AM   #83
bill phillips
macrumors regular

gotta give it to em, he called it back in july when everyone thought he was nuts

----------

well hes half right at least lol
bill phillips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:41 AM   #84
opeter
macrumors 6502a

The same will happen to all Macs, sooner or later.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:15 AM   #85
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
21.5 inch iMac RAM is not user replaceable. As close enough to soldered RAM as you will find. You were saying?
Its not soldered.... Its can be replaced. You were wrong.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:26 AM   #86
joe-h2o
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It uses standard 204-pin SODIMM modules, in both the 21" and 27" machine.

The absolute, totally 100%, diametrically opposed situation to "soldered onto the logic board". It's too late to change your argument to make yourself seem right. You can scrunch your face up as much as you like and wish really hard, but it won't make reality go away.

Is that egg on your face? The yolk's on you.
joe-h2o is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:24 AM   #87
MeFromHere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill phillips View Post
gotta give it to em, he called it back in july when everyone thought he was nuts

----------

well hes half right at least lol
He was completely wrong.
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:58 AM   #88
ericbreiter
macrumors member

Quote:
Sorry kid, you're wrong. I wish you a Happy New Year and better luck with your predictions next year. As already pointed out, you can not score any points in here by changing your predictions retroactively. Half right does not make it right.
ericbreiter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:06 AM   #89
ndpitch
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbreiter View Post
Sorry kid, you're wrong. I wish you a Happy New Year and better luck with your predictions next year. As already pointed out, you can not score any points in here by changing your predictions retroactively. Half right does not make it right.
Agreed. It wasn't a correct prediction. Still, it was a worthy one - it just didn't come true.

No hard feelings Puevlo, I can see why you predicted it. Maybe on the next iteration/generation of iMacs.
ndpitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:10 PM   #90
bill phillips
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFromHere View Post
He was completely wrong.
i know, but he was pretty close,
bill phillips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:54 PM   #91
Acorn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill phillips View Post
i know, but he was pretty close,
I agree with you. considering its major brain surgery just to add ram in the 21 it is close enough.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac