Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:23 AM   #1
chezdor
macrumors newbie

Angry iPhone 5 charging nightmares

A few months ago I bought a fake second iPhone 5 charging cable from a market stall (since due to short battery life, the one I bought originally wasn't enough to last me all day at work, I needed to purchase an extra for the office). This all worked absolutely fine until I recently upgraded the phone's iOS to 6.1.

Now the phone won't recognise it unless I wiggle it about and end up contorting myself to hold it at a certain angle. I know for certain this is due to the iOS upgrade rather than a hardware issue, water damage etc. I have read up online but can't seem to find a workable solution. Even when the phone does recognise it, it seems to take forever to charge or sometimes actively drains the battery? All of this contortion has eventually taken its toll and the charging cable socket has now broken off inside the iPhone socket and seems to be stuck.

I totally get that I should only use genuine Apple accessories etc and I should probably just cut my losses and go buy another one, but it really bugs me that the charger is (or was until I just broke it) physically capable of charging my phone but the new iOS clearly has some software code built in causing it to be rejected.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
chezdor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:57 AM   #2
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

...Or you could just take the working cable to the Office with you?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:02 AM   #3
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

It was a defective off market cable you bought that doesn't conform to apple standards. Wiggling wouldn't solve a software issue.
viewfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezdor View Post
A few months ago I bought a fake second iPhone 5 charging cable from a market stall (since due to short battery life, the one I bought originally wasn't enough to last me all day at work, I needed to purchase an extra for the office). This all worked absolutely fine until I recently upgraded the phone's iOS to 6.1.

Now the phone won't recognise it unless I wiggle it about and end up contorting myself to hold it at a certain angle. I know for certain this is due to the iOS upgrade rather than a hardware issue, water damage etc. I have read up online but can't seem to find a workable solution. Even when the phone does recognise it, it seems to take forever to charge or sometimes actively drains the battery? All of this contortion has eventually taken its toll and the charging cable socket has now broken off inside the iPhone socket and seems to be stuck.

I totally get that I should only use genuine Apple accessories etc and I should probably just cut my losses and go buy another one, but it really bugs me that the charger is (or was until I just broke it) physically capable of charging my phone but the new iOS clearly has some software code built in causing it to be rejected.

This is crystal clear evidence of a hardware failure, cable fatigue.

Buy another crap knock off fake cable, and go for another few months with it, until it breaks off and ruins your phone as well. Yay for saving $10 only to ruin a $700 handset.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:28 AM   #5
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

i've got fakes in my car, sometimes with my ip4 it moans its not supported, it gets worse and worse then doesn't work at all, i replace it and all is good, cheap cables wear out....
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Browns2212
macrumors regular

Don't buy "fakes" and expect them to work perfectly.

They are "fakes" for a reason.
Browns2212 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:01 PM   #7
scaredpoet
macrumors 601

Quote:
A few months ago I bought a fake
Well, there's your problem.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:10 PM   #8
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

Quote:

So you have a broken piece of the phony cable stuck inside of the iPhone? I hope that I've misunderstood this one.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:12 PM   #9
jackwills
macrumors regular

I bought one fake lightening cable too from eBay for 5 bucks, didnt last long too, lasted like a month it just broke recently but not because of the 6.1 though I think its cause of the cheap quality
Thinking wether buy one from apple store for $19 or not
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:14 PM   #10
blueroom
macrumors 603

What's a "market stall"? Is that like a fruit stand?
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

You bought an aftermarket cable and it's causing issues. I wouldn't blame it on updating to iOS 6.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:39 PM   #12
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwills View Post
I bought one fake lightening cable too from eBay for 5 bucks, didnt last long too, lasted like a month it just broke recently but not because of the 6.1 though I think its cause of the cheap quality
Thinking wether buy one from apple store for $19 or not
Do it.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:52 PM   #13
watson10
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
What's a "market stall"? Is that like a fruit stand?
If this is a serious question, it's a temporary structure where vendors sell their products. Usually lesser quality goods than at brick and mortar shops. And they do sell fruit.
watson10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:02 PM   #14
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson10 View Post
If this is a serious question, it's a temporary structure where vendors sell their products. Usually lesser quality goods than at brick and mortar shops. And they do sell fruit.
I can't imagine why I wouldn't buy all my high tech devices from a fruit stand.

Currently I go to the dollar store for my low quality probably toxic crap.
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:52 PM   #15
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

I'm not seeing the reason why the official cable can't be carried back and forth until another official one can be bought.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone