Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:28 AM   #51
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
I did all my transferring via wireless http/ftp remote access. Or I downloaded directly what I needed from online (like power points). If there was something I wanted on my iPad, I just connected to the IP from my main PC and directly transferred it. pretty seamless and simple.

Or I would upload to dropbox.

I'm not saying it's without limits, just telling how I used it.

If you're going to have a locked PC only accessible via USB then either you need to invest in an AirStash drive (a USB flashdrive that creates it's own network, accessible to transfer files wirelessly to the iPad), or Android tab/phone. However, you're still stuck with not being able to access those PC/Mac files...

If accessing/editing PC/Mac programs is your goal, then clearly the laptop wins. But that's a different argument..
Unfortunately none of this addresses what I wrote before.
The PC is locked down so I can't use wifi/Airstash.
USB stick or USB cable is the only way to go.
IP restrictions doesn't allow to upload to a cloud service (encrypted or not).
Emailing the files to myself is not allowed and the files are too many and too large.

Anyway, the main point I was trying to answer was that an open filesystem that allows hierarchical organizations of files and free access of programs to the files is far superior compared to the locked down app centric way that apple is using in iOS.
andiwm2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:43 PM   #52
David58117
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiwm2003 View Post
Unfortunately none of this addresses what I wrote before.
The PC is locked down so I can't use wifi/Airstash.
USB stick or USB cable is the only way to go.
IP restrictions doesn't allow to upload to a cloud service (encrypted or not).
Emailing the files to myself is not allowed and the files are too many and too large.

Anyway, the main point I was trying to answer was that an open filesystem that allows hierarchical organizations of files and free access of programs to the files is far superior compared to the locked down app centric way that apple is using in iOS.
Airstash would certainly work. You've already stated you can transfer the files to USB stick, that's all you need. The drive generates its own network, so it's independent of the locked down pc.

Anyway, if android solves your issues, then great. I just think too many people go into the "the ipad cant do that!" mindset without really looking into solutions (like airstash).
David58117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:38 PM   #53
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Airstash would certainly work. You've already stated you can transfer the files to USB stick, that's all you need. The drive generates its own network, so it's independent of the locked down pc.

Anyway, if android solves your issues, then great. I just think too many people go into the "the ipad cant do that!" mindset without really looking into solutions (like airstash).
The PC is locked down and does not allow to connect wirelessly to a Airstash (or the iPad when you use Apps like Goodreader or Airshare).

The PC does not allow adhoc networks or such. The only thing it allows is setting up a wifi VPN connection to the home base and then use the internet through their servers for email. But since IP is an issue email and cloud services are a no go.
andiwm2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:17 PM   #54
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The PC is locked down and does not allow to connect wirelessly to a Airstash
It doesn't need to, so long as it has USB ports. The PC talks to USB, the Airstash then talks wirelessly to the iPad.

http://www.airstash.com/#specs
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:08 PM   #55
CJM
macrumors 6502a

iPads sure are fun devices. Great for media/internet consumption. However, if you ever want to do work on one, you'll find its limitations start to become annoying. Fast.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to switching out my iPad for a thin laptop. All I use it for is the internet, YouTube, Netflix and Reddit. I have my PC for gaming and, sure I could buy a Bluetooth keyboard to write up my notes in Evernote for the iPad, I still wouldn't be able to code on the thing.

Roll on the 2013 MBA/Retina MBP.
CJM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:00 AM   #56
David58117
macrumors regular

Quote:
The PC is locked down and does not allow to connect wirelessly to a Airstash (or the iPad when you use Apps like Goodreader or Airshare).

The PC does not allow adhoc networks or such. The only thing it allows is setting up a wifi VPN connection to the home base and then use the internet through their servers for email. But since IP is an issue email and cloud services are a no go.
As already pointed out, the PC does not connect to anything. All you'll do is plug in the USB stick like usual, transfer your files to it like usual, then once on the Airstash, the Airstash itself creates a wireless network for the iPad to connect to. The PC has no part, and can remain locked down.

That's the whole point of the Airstash - getting files off computers that cannot connect to a network itself.
David58117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air