Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:28 AM   #51
andiwm2003
macrumors 601
 
andiwm2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
I did all my transferring via wireless http/ftp remote access. Or I downloaded directly what I needed from online (like power points). If there was something I wanted on my iPad, I just connected to the IP from my main PC and directly transferred it. pretty seamless and simple.

Or I would upload to dropbox.

I'm not saying it's without limits, just telling how I used it.

If you're going to have a locked PC only accessible via USB then either you need to invest in an AirStash drive (a USB flashdrive that creates it's own network, accessible to transfer files wirelessly to the iPad), or Android tab/phone. However, you're still stuck with not being able to access those PC/Mac files...

If accessing/editing PC/Mac programs is your goal, then clearly the laptop wins. But that's a different argument..
Unfortunately none of this addresses what I wrote before.
The PC is locked down so I can't use wifi/Airstash.
USB stick or USB cable is the only way to go.
IP restrictions doesn't allow to upload to a cloud service (encrypted or not).
Emailing the files to myself is not allowed and the files are too many and too large.

Anyway, the main point I was trying to answer was that an open filesystem that allows hierarchical organizations of files and free access of programs to the files is far superior compared to the locked down app centric way that apple is using in iOS.
andiwm2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:43 PM   #52
David58117
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiwm2003 View Post
Unfortunately none of this addresses what I wrote before.
The PC is locked down so I can't use wifi/Airstash.
USB stick or USB cable is the only way to go.
IP restrictions doesn't allow to upload to a cloud service (encrypted or not).
Emailing the files to myself is not allowed and the files are too many and too large.

Anyway, the main point I was trying to answer was that an open filesystem that allows hierarchical organizations of files and free access of programs to the files is far superior compared to the locked down app centric way that apple is using in iOS.
Airstash would certainly work. You've already stated you can transfer the files to USB stick, that's all you need. The drive generates its own network, so it's independent of the locked down pc.

Anyway, if android solves your issues, then great. I just think too many people go into the "the ipad cant do that!" mindset without really looking into solutions (like airstash).
David58117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:38 PM   #53
andiwm2003
macrumors 601
 
andiwm2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Airstash would certainly work. You've already stated you can transfer the files to USB stick, that's all you need. The drive generates its own network, so it's independent of the locked down pc.

Anyway, if android solves your issues, then great. I just think too many people go into the "the ipad cant do that!" mindset without really looking into solutions (like airstash).
The PC is locked down and does not allow to connect wirelessly to a Airstash (or the iPad when you use Apps like Goodreader or Airshare).

The PC does not allow adhoc networks or such. The only thing it allows is setting up a wifi VPN connection to the home base and then use the internet through their servers for email. But since IP is an issue email and cloud services are a no go.
andiwm2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:17 PM   #54
rbrian
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiwm2003 View Post
The PC is locked down and does not allow to connect wirelessly to a Airstash
It doesn't need to, so long as it has USB ports. The PC talks to USB, the Airstash then talks wirelessly to the iPad.

http://www.airstash.com/#specs
__________________
2011 11" Air i5 1.6/4/128; 2011 Mac mini; iPad mini retina 128GB; iPhone 5s 64GB; Apple TV3
rbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:08 PM   #55
CJM
macrumors 6502a
 
CJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: U.K.
iPads sure are fun devices. Great for media/internet consumption. However, if you ever want to do work on one, you'll find its limitations start to become annoying. Fast.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to switching out my iPad for a thin laptop. All I use it for is the internet, YouTube, Netflix and Reddit. I have my PC for gaming and, sure I could buy a Bluetooth keyboard to write up my notes in Evernote for the iPad, I still wouldn't be able to code on the thing.

Roll on the 2013 MBA/Retina MBP.
__________________
iPad 3rd gen 64GB Black / iPhone 5 32GB
MacBook Air 2013 13" / i5 / 8GM RAM / 256 SSD
PC: OC'd 3.2-4GHz i7 960 / Windforce GTX 780 / 6GB RAM / 24" + 22" H-IPS / W8 / 240GB SSD / 1.5TB HDD / 2TB NAS
CJM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:00 AM   #56
David58117
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiwm2003 View Post
The PC is locked down and does not allow to connect wirelessly to a Airstash (or the iPad when you use Apps like Goodreader or Airshare).

The PC does not allow adhoc networks or such. The only thing it allows is setting up a wifi VPN connection to the home base and then use the internet through their servers for email. But since IP is an issue email and cloud services are a no go.
As already pointed out, the PC does not connect to anything. All you'll do is plug in the USB stick like usual, transfer your files to it like usual, then once on the Airstash, the Airstash itself creates a wireless network for the iPad to connect to. The PC has no part, and can remain locked down.

That's the whole point of the Airstash - getting files off computers that cannot connect to a network itself.
David58117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC