Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old May 9, 2013, 05:33 AM   #26
EvilEvil
macrumors 6502

Exclamation

I wish Lacie wouldn't use Seagate drives. They fail so much out of all the other hard drive companies.
EvilEvil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 10:22 AM   #27
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEvil View Post
I wish Lacie wouldn't use Seagate drives. They fail so much out of all the other hard drive companies.
they sometimes use HGST which is Hitachi .
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 12:02 AM   #28
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Seagate purchased LaCie last year, so I wouldn't expect to see HGST drives in the future.
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 04:58 PM   #29
LaCieTech
macrumors member

see vendor information in user profile
We have heard reports from some of our customers that the 2Big Thunderbolt is louder than some of our other models. Of course if you had the convenience of being able to isolate sound between where the audio is being recorded, and where the audio is being mixed and edited it would be a non-issue. While the 2Big Thunder bolt does need room to breathe, consider placing the drive in a roomy cabinet with decent air flow. You may also be able to purchase a longer thunderbolt cable to distance the product from where the recording is happening. I hope this helps. ~TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz25 View Post
Just to throw another leg up on the pile...

The LaCie 2big is ungodly loud. The idea that this is marketed to audio professionals is criminal.

I will be turning it off when I'm recording.

I don't understand why it's so much to ask that someone makes a quiet box with a RAID card and and a TB interface so you can load it with disks, and that that costs around $200.

I just succumbed to the hype and moved to a maxed-out iMac to replace my 2008 Pro.

It is not acceptable.
LaCieTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 10:24 PM   #30
Vidivici
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4cube View Post
Seagate purchased LaCie last year, so I wouldn't expect to see HGST drives in the future.
And the HDD production from Samsung.
So you could expect some samsungs too.
Or relabeled samsung drives with seagate stickers
Vidivici is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 09:13 AM   #31
rw3
macrumors 6502a

My LaCie had the 1TB Platter Seagate ST3000DM001 but has an older firmware on the drives. According to many threads on Seagate's forums, they released a firmware update that helps with the noise of the heads parking as well as the "beep" that happens when the drives are spun up from sleep.

I love my 2big Thunderbolt and don't mind the noise at all really. I get crazy performance and it has been running for a little over a year, 24/7 with multiple large writes (100+GB) and doesn't even flinch. I'm looking to purchase another one soon.
Old May 11, 2013, 09:27 AM   #32
Colchiro
macrumors member

Are these standard 3/4 pin 12v fans?

In the olden days I purchased 4 pin fan adapters with an inline pot so I could dial in whatever fan speed I wanted.
Colchiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:30 PM   #33
G2Sound
macrumors newbie

Not sure if LaCie has changed anything, but I just bought one of the 6TB 2Big's to record audio on "The Biggest Loser" TV show. The enclosure is pretty quiet... the air conditioner in our control room is much louder than the drive. Maybe the LaCie rep that commented earlier can reply to this. Also, maybe someone can answer this: is there any software update necessary to install SSD's into the sleds on the 2Big enclosure?
G2Sound is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 07:48 PM   #34
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Sound View Post
Not sure if LaCie has changed anything, but I just bought one of the 6TB 2Big's to record audio on "The Biggest Loser" TV show. The enclosure is pretty quiet... the air conditioner in our control room is much louder than the drive. Maybe the LaCie rep that commented earlier can reply to this. Also, maybe someone can answer this: is there any software update necessary to install SSD's into the sleds on the 2Big enclosure?
No I use ssd's in wd icepacks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-IcePack-2...item1c292bb1a3

I also disconnected the fan. this hdd will come out very soon.

http://www.hgst.com/travelstar-5k1500

it will be cool enough to be fanless.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini