Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1
xriderx11
macrumors regular

Is this a legit Adobe update or a virus?

I got a pop up from safari randomly

from

https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/d...s=26.0.1410.43

And my updates are automatic, why am I getting this???

the "get3" in the begining of the URL is very suspicious... Shouldnt it be "get.adobe??
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors G5

That's real. The get3 is one of Adobe's load balancing servers.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
old-wiz
macrumors 604

when I see the popups, I always go directly to get.adobe.com/flashplayer instead of clicking on the popup
old-wiz is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4
palmharbor
Banned

Ongoing

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
when I see the popups, I always go directly to get.adobe.com/flashplayer instead of clicking on the popup
This is an ongoing problem for Mac users and Adobe has no interest in
fixing it. Adobe flash is a problem filled application. Its driven me nuts
You can have the latest Adobe Flash but it does not matter. This is
a crazy maker....but Adobe could care less. I posted this issue on their
face book page and did not receive a response. I suggest if someone
has a twitter account post it there.

Last edited by dejo; Apr 12, 2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: unnecessary formatting.
palmharbor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Interesting options:
Legit?
Virus?

No, everything that you are unfamiliar with is not a virus.
Don't worry, as there isn't any such thing as a virus affecting Mac OS X.
Gregg2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 06:21 PM   #6
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
In this case this is a legit concern. There was malware for OSX that poised as an update from Adobe. I think that is why the OP is asking.

Personally, I do as others suggested, I never click any installs or updates from a popup, I always visit the site directly (unless I know that pop up originated from an application while checking for a legitimate update -- just not when visiting websites).
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 08:17 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by xriderx11 View Post
the "get3" in the begining of the URL is very suspicious... Shouldnt it be "get.adobe??
Any prefix to adobe.com is still part of adobe.com. As old-wiz suggested, the wisest thing to do is to get updates directly from a developer's website, especially in this case, since Adobe had issues in the past with malware disguising as Adobe updates.

Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 05:26 AM   #8
fatboyondiet
macrumors newbie

Mountain Lion vs Leopard

Hey Guys!

The Adobe Update is pretty bad. It annoys me every time I have to do it. I have Mountain Lion running and just had to go through it again. Yesterday I updated the Flash player on my girlfriends Leopard Macbook and it was so much better.

You do it all from System Preferences and don't get redirected to any website. There's no "software from the internet- are you really sure you want this??" dialog box. Why can't it work like that on Mountain Lion?

(PS: I'd like to think I'm not paranoid about phishing and other similar activities. But the get3 prefix (or whatever) to the adobe website does make me uneasy. Especially because until the next update comes along I'll probably forget that prefix and ask myself the same question. Is it real or is it dubious? )

Cheers!
fatboyondiet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:37 AM   #9
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyondiet View Post
Hey Guys!

The Adobe Update is pretty bad. It annoys me every time I have to do it. I have Mountain Lion running and just had to go through it again. Yesterday I updated the Flash player on my girlfriends Leopard Macbook and it was so much better.

You do it all from System Preferences and don't get redirected to any website. There's no "software from the internet- are you really sure you want this??" dialog box. Why can't it work like that on Mountain Lion?

(PS: I'd like to think I'm not paranoid about phishing and other similar activities. But the get3 prefix (or whatever) to the adobe website does make me uneasy. Especially because until the next update comes along I'll probably forget that prefix and ask myself the same question. Is it real or is it dubious? )

Cheers!
Regarding bolded section above:

When parsing a URL.... anyprefex.adobe.com/anypostfix/anyotherpostfix should generally be safe. The fact that "adobe" is immediately before the period is the key. Hence, get3.adobe.com is OK. There is some syntax that will redirect to another website (which I personally do not understand)... so take my advice with a grain of salt.

HOWEVER:

Lets say that the URL was adobe.get3.com then it would most likely be a scam... because the domain would be "get3.com" and would likely have nothing to do with Adobe.

BTW: I agree that the constant Adobe updates are a total PITA and I also go directly to adobe for updates rather than clicking on popups.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

You can blame the people who totally refuse to even update their software for this.

The whole opinion of the internet is that updates do more harm to your system than they do good. Microsoft ends up installing gigs and gigs of drivers and all the fixes just pile up. So people have grown to hate Windows Update and even go as far as disabling it.

These same people are the ones who probably bombard companies with support tickets when something stops working or things go wrong. Their hard drives are a mess too, because when system updates are done, so is background cleaning of caches and other stuff.

Since there are many, many, many individuals who refuse to believe the security risks, this is where it has ended up - Silent updates and disabled plugins. Maybe it doesn't look like a good idea from your end, but it's better for companies like Adobe. Because people getting hit with malware with versions that were replaced month ago is just bad press. It just adds to the many reasons why people hate Flash so much these days.

As for Adobe's URLs. They have many of them, and blocking them won't really matter as they're always adding new ones.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:58 PM   #11
badams002
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyondiet View Post
Hey Guys!

Cheers!
I am running Mountain Lion, and System Preferences is how I update Adobe.
badams002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:37 AM   #12
Amatyi1
macrumors newbie

I don't trust update pop ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
I always go to the page and get the update there after infecting my computer with a virus that looked like a Java update. It looked identical to the Java update so I don't think I'll ever trust a pop up update again.
I still have residual damage on my computer. It hid all my files and it took me a week to figure out that I needed to view hidden files to see my files and then I had to change all my properties of every folder. I couldn't change all of them, hence the residual damage. Don't trust the pop ups and go to the site directly.
Amatyi1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 01:03 AM   #13
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

All these discussions remind me why I love Little Snitch.

If I have Google Chrome installed, why does it have a background task trying to contact Google servers 10 times a day? Especially when I haven't used the app in over a month? What data is it sending?

It should only look for updates when I actually use the app, not via background process.

Bad Google
spacepower7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 02:15 AM   #14
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502

One of the reasons why I never allow popups, auto-update checking and install.

Manual update only, through MacUpdate - and no Betas.
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 02:24 AM   #15
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatyi1 View Post
I always go to the page and get the update there after infecting my computer with a virus that looked like a Java update. It looked identical to the Java update so I don't think I'll ever trust a pop up update again.
I still have residual damage on my computer. It hid all my files and it took me a week to figure out that I needed to view hidden files to see my files and then I had to change all my properties of every folder. I couldn't change all of them, hence the residual damage. Don't trust the pop ups and go to the site directly.
Are you talking about Mac OS X or Windows? And which malware, post #7 has good information about malware, did you got infected with?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 07:06 AM   #16
nathanb007
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Interesting options:
Legit?
Virus?

Actually, Macs can get viruses. They just down own as much of the computer market as PC does. Apple owns roughly (6%) So when people design viruses, the target are PC users, because there is a larger number of users. Make sense?
nathanb007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 07:16 AM   #17
pastrychef
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanb007 View Post
Actually, Macs can get viruses. They just down own as much of the computer market as PC does. Apple owns roughly (6%) So when people design viruses, the target are PC users, because there is a larger number of users. Make sense?
No, it doesn't make sense. It has been proven that Mac users are more affluent and should therefore be better targets. (references: http://mashable.com/2009/10/05/mac-ownership-study/ , http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianki...e-says-orbitz/ , these are just the first ones I stumbled upon, there are probably tons more)

Can Macs get viruses? Probably. But in OS X's 12+ years of existence, there has been zero. None. The fact is, it's just not as vulnerable as Windows.

The same can be said for all those years that iOS had more market share than Android and yet Android received the bulk of the malware. Immunity due to obscurity is an excuse made up by apologists.
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

Last edited by pastrychef; Nov 14, 2013 at 07:26 AM.
pastrychef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 08:22 AM   #18
Intell
macrumors G5

Quote:
By the definition of a virus, they can't. They can get Trojans and worms, but no viruses. Mostly due to the UNIX subsystem.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 08:53 AM   #19
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
No, it doesn't make sense. The market share theory has been debunked countless times, because it doesn't hold water. There were many viruses in the wild that affected Mac OS 9 and earlier versions, at a time when Mac market share and installed base was much smaller. With OS X, the market share and installed base has grown, with around 75 million Mac users. And as market share grew, the number of viruses decreased.... to zero. The instances of malware in general is a fraction of what was in the wild with earlier versions and smaller market share.

No one is saying Macs are immune to malware, but all OS X malware in the wild can successfully be avoided by practicing safe computing.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:31 PM   #20
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Actually, Macs can get viruses.
It might be possible, someday. My post didn't say it's impossible. It said that there are none.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:44 PM   #21
josh.b
Banned

Flash is a virus

I just let flash auto update itself. Set to search for updates automatically. safe that way.

Macs can't get viruses. Viruses do not require a user to install them, mac is just that way. Completely safe unless you install the virus yourself which I am sure even the lowest of IQs would realise.

Best thing about installing stuff on a mac is you don't have to click custom because mac apps don't have all that shitware attached to them like the windows software does aka Internet explorer bars and worms. My gf has a windows laptop and has experienced enough crap that she goes through installation processes very slowly and carefully and googles anything foreign before clicking next. So far so good but the system still gets bogged down thanks to the way windows is lol.
josh.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store