Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:50 PM   #1
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Removing stripped screws from bottom of iPhone 4

I replaced the back glass on my iPhone 4 recently. In doing so, I seemed to have stripped both screws. I got them off, replaced the back cover, and while putting the screws back in, I got them both about half way before they just stopped going in. So I'm stuck with two bottom screws that are hanging about half way out. It looks as though the heads have been stripped. I tried to manually remove them by twisting with my fingers, I tried the "rubber band method", didn't work. I finally broke down and bought this screw extraction set...

http://www.amazon.com/58-0670-6-Piec.../dp/B000JCT3W0

Even with this set I still can't seem to get them out. I haven't used a screw extractor before and quite frankly I'm not entirely sure I'm using it correctly. I haven't been able to find any type of manual or tutorial on how to use them. I believe the idea is to just work the pointy heads into the screw like a regular screwdriver and the points are used to get extra grip to help you unscrew the screw. If that is the case, none of these seem to be small enough to get into the screw.

Has anyone had any experience in getting stripped screws out of the bottom of an iPhone? Any experience in using this extractor set? It seems to be one of the more popular sets out there and a few of the reviews were from people who successfully extracted screws from iPhones. :/
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:05 PM   #2
chambone
macrumors 6502a

Well, if it were me and the screws were sticking out far enough, I'd take an electrical hobby tool with a thin cutting disk attached, and I'd cut a slot in each screw head so that they can be unscrewed with a flat head screwdriver.
chambone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502

1) Get new screws-ebay has them, or the person you got the case from. 2) Get some JB Weld or fast drying epoxy and mix a small amount-size of an m and m. Dip a screwdriver in the epoxy and push it against the stripped screw-making sure not to get any on the iphone-masking tape would be good. Make sure it hardens fully, back the screw out. Scrape off the epoxy and start over on other screw.

You cross threaded the screw-I have done it too-and the screws are very soft and strip very easy.
Jalopybox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the suggestions. For some reason I feel like the glue/epoxy method would end up in a mess and I ultimately wouldn't have the patience to do it properly. :/

What sort of tool and attachment are you talking about that would be able to put a flat slot into the screw? Could you (or someone) possibly post a link? I think I may try that method. I have replacement screws (both philips and pentalobe...the seller I bought the case from was good enough to send me extras).
Old Dec 31, 2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Davidv804
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. For some reason I feel like the glue/epoxy method would end up in a mess and I ultimately wouldn't have the patience to do it properly. :/

What sort of tool and attachment are you talking about that would be able to put a flat slot into the screw? Could you (or someone) possibly post a link? I think I may try that method. I have replacement screws (both philips and pentalobe...the seller I bought the case from was good enough to send me extras).
hey did you ever get those stripped screws out if so can you tell how you did it
Davidv804 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 06:36 PM   #6
IpadSC400
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidv804 View Post
hey did you ever get those stripped screws out if so can you tell how you did it
Use masking tape.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 09:27 PM   #7
nox5
macrumors member

crack the back glass off
nox5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 09:02 AM   #8
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidv804 View Post
I ended up just taking it to the Apple Store and they took care of everything. I believe it was $50, including the replacement back glass.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone