Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hey all, have had a good search and can't really find anything that i'm looking for.

I have a surround sound set up that I used to use with my desktop PC. Then when I switched to a MacBook Pro I bought an external USB sound card and hooked up my speakers like that. It works fine and quality is brilliant, however, as I move around [my house] a lot with my mac, and don't like all the wires everywhere, I am wondering if anybody knows of any decent wireless speakers to hook up to my mac, not like really weak tinny ones if possible? Anyone got any ideas?

AnDy

Bbusyb

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
Notts, UK / Alex, Egypt
Well a Possible Easy solution would be to get an Airport Express and Hook it up to your existing Speakers, as long as they allow input from a Mini Jack (1/8" / 35mm) or you use a converter cable or box.

iTunes natively supports Air Tunes, to allow you to stream Music to Airport's on your network. To output audio from another program besides iTunes you can get a program like Airfoil which allows you to do the same thing but from any program on your Mac or PC (Different Versions).

Bbusyb

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
Notts, UK / Alex, Egypt
Its worth a shot.

I've got a similar setup, but as I mainly got the express to use as a print server I don't use the Airtunes feature much, but I do know it works.

Setup's pretty simple as the Utility walks you through the whole process of linking to your existing network.

The advantage is that you can use your existing setup, without having to invest too much money (Though the Expres is probably not the cheapest item in the market)

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Yay for the AirPort Express! AirTunes works like a charm, by the way. I use it a lot. I'm getting too lazy to get a cd and just let my MacBook stream iTunes to the AirPort Express, which I have hooked up to my receiver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.