Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
I'm glad Apple is waiting until 2019 to release a bigger smart phone. It will be quality.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
No I am not, you cannot use the original iPad in your argument as it had nothing else to compare to? In the case of the Mini you have a quad core graphics beast with a 9.7" retina screen on one hand, and Apple sell you a low res dual core gpu 7.9" device in the other hand? And that's the entire problem also, Apples eco system, your locked in, you can spend hundreds on apps that will NEVER work on anything other then an iOS device so if you want to change you loose a lot more then the cost of an iPhone.
However if your happy to pay an over inflated price for a device with lower specs then the Nexus 7 then go right ahead, maybe it'll help Apple's drop in profits and shares? just don't feel too hurt when later this year sees a much upgraded model for the exact same price, but of course Apple hopes you'll buy that one too

I sincerely hope that you are not as ignorant as you are starting to sound, at least so far as understanding how the non-nerd portion of the market thinks about this stuff. Oh yeah, to be clear, that section is quite obviously bigger than the section that makes notes about their tweaked out MacBook dual-booting into Windows 7 64-bit. Hey, I did all that too, and on an iMac where it's actually work to put in the SSD.

I'm an obsessive tech nerd, but my job is supporting non-tech nerds, and I've learned very, very, very quickly that they don't think at all like us, and they're incredibly satisfied with tech that we find archaic, because it more than meets their needs. Again, I know people that in 2013 are still using original iPads and loving them. They do not give two ***** about he dual core chip in the iPad 2, retina displays, quad-core graphics, lightning ports. Hell, it's work getting them to appreciate that iCloud will back all of their stuff up every day, and that that's a good thing for them, because they break or lose their stuff all the time, and now it's infinitely less painful when that happens.

Those people don't feel ripped off. For the first time, they don't feel ripped off by a computer company! They love their iPhones and iPads and they have no intention of switching, not that it matters given your app example is just as relevant to Android as it is to iOS and nearly every other platform in the world.

On yeah, I know lots of people with retina iPad (3rd gens, I'm one of 3-4 people I know with a 4th gen) who want to trade them in for iPad Minis. Why? It feels great in your hands! They don't care about cores let alone graphics! They care about how small and light it is. They don't sweat milliseconds like we do.

And I'm done, because if you're just a self-loathing troll with nothing better to do than post here, then I've already wasted far too much time on you.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
also, Apples eco system, your locked in, you can spend hundreds on apps that will NEVER work on anything other then an iOS device so if you want to change you loose a lot more then the cost of an iPhone.

how is this any different from buying apps on android's play store or windows phone marketplace? i can drop a pretty penny on android apps, and i can't take those with me if i want to switch to an iphone or a windows phone. some apps on the play store can't work from android device to android device.

also, i hate to be the grammar police, but it's hard to take your points seriously when i'm spotting so many errors in your post.

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
I'm so happy to hear this. The larger screens are awful and this validates everything I've said about them. I have commented numerous times to my friends about how when I'm looking at an android phone (no matter the mfg) the display is an awful blue color. They always look terrible in comparison. Those that say that this is a lie and that the 5" screens are better etc. probably don't know too much about displays.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
That is going a little far. Their attitude can be a bit heavy handed, telling people what they should want even when we know what we want. I still need an optical drive, is there any reason it would be so hard to two a current generation Macbook with the retina display with and without one? It can just be little things like that, options.

I think the iPad having pressure sensitivity would be cool, then some say how Apples hates stylus yet it is not like someone would HAVE to use it, once again it would be an option like the S-Pen is on some phones, there if you need it ignore it if not.

It will be hard to meet everyones personal tech list, I do feel they could do a bit better.

Agreed. Wacom support should be added. It's the most important thing missing.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
What with all the moaning about bigger screens out there now, I'm guessing phone calls and text messaging is becoming irrelivant to the modern mobile phone user

The iPhones before the iPhone 5 have the perfect screen size. It's a phone. If I want a large screen, I use my laptop or TV

An extra half inch or whatever does nothing for me

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I agree. The Nexus 4 screen is too big for me. I can't go back to 3.5", that's incredibly tiny, but 4" really is a sweet spot. The extra real estate is hugely appreciated (from 3.5") and the ability to now watch youtube videos and videos from my media server (using air video) WITHOUT letterboxing like on the iPhone 4S and all those before it is just great.

I don't need a bigger screen. If I want one, I'll go to my iPad or my computer. My phone is for quick consumption (news, tweets, flipboard, instagram, etc...), phone calls, texting, and some games to kill the time. I want something that's lightweight and fits in my pocket without having to buy extra-large pocket pants. The iPhone 5 is great for that and the quality of the screen beats the N4 screen hands down (yeah, you can fix it, but you need to root and most people don't want to do that). It's atrocious that LG let a phone with such bad screen calibration out on the market. It's like taking a vivid photo and then applying 50 shades of depression to it.

And as a iOS developer, less fragmentation = happy coders.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I am all for quality over just releasing quick features not ready for mainstream use, but Apple may need to move a little quicker IMO.

I do not think they will fall that far behind, but everyone is waiting to get a new iPhone for the 5S as apposed to getting the 5, so that alone is hurting sales.

The other issue is Android has been getting better, I had a Samsung Note II for 10 days and it was fairly nice to use, just a very large phone.

I just wish that AT&T would do what T-Mobile did and offer contract and no contract pricing, I would then keep my equipment a little longer and opt for the less expensive monthly. It will be interesting what Apple releases this year, 5S, iPad Mini with Retina, Mac refresh etc. I think they will benefit from 1-3 models of phones, cheap phone for every carrier unlocked, and middle of the line maybe smaller screen, then a Pro model, bigger, faster, etc.

M

Mr.damien

I seriously doubt that! Based on the stupid bezel ends they kept with the iPhone 5! All they had to do was remove the ends or reduce the home button size a lot, make it capacitive, and everyone would love the iPhone 5's size. But alas no and I have trouble using it because of it's length (that's what she said ;))
But that is also why I would love to have the same iPhone 5 specs but with the iPhone 4 screen size, and durability.

I think they will make it but the techno is not ready yet. Just like the mac mini got small borders while the normal one still has his big borders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.