Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpuguy18

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I take back everything i said about lion i upgraded my macbook to 6GB and lion flies its way faster than snow leopard ever was. 10.7.3 is the ****. matter fact after installed the 6gb i didn't notice any speed improvements with snow leopard and i didn't see the benefit of putting the extra 2GB in. but in lion theres a huge improvement in speed and multitasking with out my macbook. i can open way more things in the background with out my macbook slowing down. i don't recommend lion to any one with 4gb and under.

Last edited:

WCLPeter

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
If you organise the apps in Finder you can get quirky stuff when using the Mac App Store. Apparently Apple intended sorting apps to be a Launchpad only thing.

Which is going to bite them in the ass someday because with multi-gig downloads and their respective data files its not all that hard to fill a hard-drive. By forcing all applications be tied to the Applications folder, regardless of where I want to put them, is a royal pain in the ass.

Its not easy to upgrade the hard-drive in an iMac but its real easy to hook up an external drive.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Mission Control has a nice feature.

If you do "the 3 finger salute" swipe up on the trackpad to bring up Mission Control, you don't have to swipe down to get *out* of MC.

Just click the trackpad button :apple:

AppleChat

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2007
Lion Does Not Roar

Our major university has advised us that no one should install Lion citing these as some of the many reasons not to do so:
• Adobe Creative Suite 5 (CS5) does not work on OS X Lion
• The Faculty of Arts shared drives are not accessible with OS X Lion installed
• Mac Mail client setup is problematic on OS X Lion
• Parallels 5 is not compatible with OS X Lion
May I add, Quick Time does not work with previously accessible files, nor do .pdf downloads in Firefox and Safari which with Lion have constant plug in crashes.* Indeed, to my knowledge Lion users are having so numerous and varied issues they are too numerous to list, like computers no shutting down.

I have been an enthusiastic and exclusive Mac user for many years and had more app crashes and malfunctions with Lion than all other previous operating systems combined. Why did Apple release such a problematic OSX with so many serious faults? Are loyal mac computer users now just guinea pigs to help satisfy the demands of the apple i device hoards for superficial gimmickry? And more to the point, when will apple fix this mess of an osx?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Wow...uhm....never had a problem with Lion.

None at all. Works perfectly.

And Adobe CS5 does indeed work with Lion. No problems with that, either.

Your mileage will vary.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
keyboard shortcut for this ?

Hi all..

Is there a keyboard shortcut for being up the Download window, now its been made a button on the Toolbar in Safari ?

Attachments

• Download window.png
    Download window.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 616

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Hi all..

Is there a keyboard shortcut for being up the Download window, now its been made a button on the Toolbar in Safari ?

The keyboard shortcut is Option-Command-L and only works if the download list is not empty(the button shows on the toolbar).

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Mail

Neat...

Not really an issue here in Mail, but when the user starts checking for new messages, but before it finishes , go to menus, the "audible" sound is *not* heard till "after" the user has finished with menus.

Best tested with IMAP account. e.g. Gmail,Yahoo etc... but its there.

This could either be (a. just a sound delay or (b the checking of new mail is also delayed.

Not really an issue, just thought is was worth noting.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Character Pallette

If you want to use this on mac, you'll find it in System Preferences. Keyboard >>> "Show Keyboard & Character viewer in menu bar"

Then in menu bar click this, show character viewer to show.

Alternately, press COMMAND, OPTION T.

Then double tab/click a symbol.. to insert

Was trying to find was there a way via GUI, to get to this character viewer without needing needing to enable this. Couldn't find one.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Small findings for Mac OS X 10.7.4

1. The Mac OS X in the About This Mac uses Myriad Pro as the font. (Not sure why, they're going to change it to OS X in 10.8 anyway)

Screen Shot 2012-05-10 at 2.00.30 PM.png

2. The same dialog is no longer centered horizontally.

3. Updated linen background in the login screen.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
we like the small things

For those of you that frequently use the "Go" menu, to either "Connect to Server", or "Connect to Folder" .. you can easily access this by holding button on Finger icon in Dock, till context menu appears as well.:D

Of course, this was always possible with Leopard.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
LaunchPad

The good thing is how you can manually drag and drop to create folders, now on on Mac.

Attachments

• LaunchPad.png
    LaunchPad.png
    754 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

williamdlc

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
How is the battery life on OSX 10.7.4? I downgraded to 10.6.8 due to battery life and Final Cut Pro X issues. On my Early 2011 MBP, it was around 4 - 5 hrs on Lion (I believe it was on 10.7.3), but when I downgraded to SL, it can hit 6 - 7 easily. I also noticed charging times were much faster on SL.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I can get the right amount of life doing really light stuff like browsing the Internet and typing a document. Anything else and the estimated time goes down a lot.

EODgeier

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
I have a MacBook air (2011 aug model) with lion and my wd my passport 2tb won't unmount. I've tried adding partition, force unmount lsof | egrep 'name of drive' the way described on here(but I think that's for snow lep), and I downloaded disk warrior but it still says it can't unmount because another application is using it. I'm sure it's corrupted somewhere in it but if I could just get it to unmount I believe disk warrior can rebuild it. I have been able to erase it so I don't need any files off of it. Is there a different force unmount procedure to use with lion that could help me? I also get an error message sometimes that says (-50).

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Mail Compose Window

When pressing the "Compose Mail Message" in Apple's Mail, how can you stop the resulting popup window from "jumping" round ?

Every time you compose a new message, the window popups in anywhere on the screen... it does not remain sticky.... this bugs the hell out of me.

I constantly need to move it as needed.

I gather as the community would say "There's an app for that" :apple:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Full screen certain Apps

cool things when for instance if iTunes is in full screen, and you exit, then re-lanch... the desktop slides away to launch iTunes in Full screen..

Took some picks.

Also, sometimes worked with Mail on closing from full Screen, the desktop slides back into view. Pity, this doesn't happen all the time though.. :(

Attachments

• Itunes #1.png
    Itunes #1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 423
  • Itunes #2.png
    Itunes #2.png
    624.1 KB · Views: 406
  • Ful screen.png
    Ful screen.png
    862.8 KB · Views: 423

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
No Consistency.

There is No universal way across any app, to "keep" Full screen.

Its not only Apple's app, but Third-Party apps too like Mozilla.

Mail does not re-enter full screen, as you still see the Dock,,, Firefox is the same.. While Apple's own apps like Safari "forget" this.

The only one that does work, for the most part, is iTunes, and iPhoti

Its tearing my hair out........ Why can't Apple just do one consistent universal approach to this across built into the OS ....... Dunno, weather this will be in Mountain Lion, but it would be great to have this as an update to 10.7,4

As, the very first thing i do, is enter full screen in any app..... and its a pin to do, when i have to do this.

Also,, in System Preferences, the ability to hide icons.. For example, MobileMe is no use nowadays, just go to View >> Customize, then check/uncheck whatever icons in System Preferences you don't want to show. When your done, go back to view to de-select Customize.

Last edited:

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Back to the roots: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

Exactly a week ago I have downgraded from OS X Yosemite to OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63) via Internet recovery. I just decided to check how Internet Recovery works and enjoy Lion 10.7.5 last time :) Though, I had to sacrifice some iCloud components (mail, calendar) and couple of third-party apps, which don't support OS X Lion anymore. Anyway I will move to OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 very soon and maybe stop there for a while, since it is a better version of OS X Lion, as many folks here confirm.
In the end I want to go through every final release of OS X: 10.7.5, 10.8.5, 10.9.5, 10.10.5 skipping intermediate ones and without clean install. Interesting to see how it works out...

mac-n-me

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Size increase when changing "Open with" in Get Info

I recently changed the "Open with" on a .mov file and set it to open with QTP 7 instead of QTP 10.

The size increased by 1338 bytes. I've tried this with other file types (such as JPG's) and the same thing happens: 1338 bytes every time.

Could someone please shed some light on this?

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland

I recently changed the "Open with" on a .mov file and set it to open with QTP 7 instead of QTP 10.

The size increased by 1338 bytes. I've tried this with other file types (such as JPG's) and the same thing happens: 1338 bytes every time.

Could someone please shed some light on this?

I'm no expert in this area of Mac OS X, but the most logical explanation would seem to be that the system saves that custom "Open with" information in the file metadata, which takes disk space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.