Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arranjenks

macrumors member
Original poster
I currently have a 16gb iphone 4s which is a year old. I love the phone to bits, but the 16gb is really annoying me. When i first got it, i though it'd be enough, and now i'm having to delete things almost every week.

Unfortunately, there is no 4G in my city which is one reason i'm shying away from the iPhone 5.
But if i got it with the company 3, they have the one between 3g and 4g, dont they?

Also, what is the difference in functionality between the 4s and 5?

Half of me is just thinking to see my current contract out to next october and then get whatever iPhone is the newest one then?

any suggestions are welcome, im 50/50 at the moment and need swaying haha

anonymouse99

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
It is a matter or priorities ... if you simply cannot manage with 16GB and have a ton of money to spend, then by all means, get a new iPhone.

The iPhone 5 will give you a bigger screen and is lighter. Other than that, what is have is pretty good! While the 4G makes your phone go faster over the internet, it is a non-issue for you, since you don't have it in your area(s).

It comes down to priorities, wants and needs, and your pocketbook :D

manunited

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
If you don't have LTE in your area, then I would say to stick to the 4S for now.
Maybe delete all the songs on your phone and then only put in the songs that you really listen to often??

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Well it's a nicer, faster phone that's for sure! Although the 4S is fantastic, especially if you like the size of it. Whether or not you need the 5 only you can answer. If I was in an area without LTE, it would be very easy to hold off for another year though. VERY easy :)

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I upgraded from a 4s to a 5 in a non LTE area and was very happy the upgrade. The screen was the biggest reason I upgraded. It’s only taller but I like it much better than the 4s. Also there is a speed difference even without LTE. Of course I plan to get the iPhone 5s or whatever comes out next year so I don't worry about holding off for the next one. Everybody is different but I have had no regrets getting the 5 even without LTE. Luckily AT&T cut LTE on last week in Little Rock so now I like the 5 even more. I would just go the store and play around with it and see if it’s something you need now. As far as features the 4s does everything the 5 does as far as I know unless you’re counting widescreen.

cooa99

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
hi,

i have a 64GB 4s as well and personally i think it is a rip off upgrade.

i went from 4 to 4s and regretted the waste of money so I will be hanging on till the next iphone comes out.

cooa99

pltvu

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
For me, I bought i5 then sold it, went back 4s, not major great changes from 4s. Sell your 16gb, buy 32gb or 64gb about $100-150 different.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Unfortunately, there is no 4G in my city which is one reason i'm shying away from the iPhone 5.

Just because you don't have 4G in your city today, doesn't mean you won't ever get it. Expansion of the LTE network could be months or even weeks away. And when it does come online, the phone in your hand (if you have an iPhone 5) will be ready to take advantage of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.