Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
BC Canada
Hi, I am using a Sony HDVi/MiniDV Camera and using a firewire cable attached to my Imac. Trying to burn a DVD using One Step DVD. I follow instructions as per tutorial video for the OneStep but to no avail. Menu pops instructions to "Connect Video camera to my computer using a FireWire cable" I do all that is instructed on the drop down menu. Nothing. Click OK and menu goes to IDVD.
Please help.
PS It is HD video that I am trying to transfer
Regards,
realbar

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Are you trying to burn a dvd from your camera?. Can you explain your set up.
Is it iMovie software or FCP. How long is your footage.:confused:

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Daybreak it would be likely iMovie for him/her. Though I'd like to know which iMovie/iDVD because I went into iDVD not iMovie. Which are you using just to make sure. All this should be done in iDVD.

I have used this feature several times with a bunch of different camera types be it Sony, JVC, Canon etc… My question is even though you are following the instructions how are you starting? Open iDVD, select your device and menu over to the drop down menu and select OneStep. Make sure you have your camera all charged up or as some cameras will be, make sure the camera is plugged in with power as some won't do anything if not plugged into a power source (ran into this once).

I'm also asking if you clicked the play/record button to start the process? Also it is tape that you are talking about correct? Now about the HD footage, not sure it will do that in iDVD for a OneStep as I only have given SD footage (required by the courts in NY) so this may or may not be a factor, again what version of iDVD?

Not sure either as it's been a bit but do you have the tape rewound to the start or not? Just making sure is all.

Last edited:

realbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
BC Canada
iDVD OneStep to DVD

Thanks for the reply
Best I can answer is this:
My camera is charged and plugged in to power source.
The tape is rewound.
The tape is a Hi8 MP 8mm Video Cassette.
The Transfer camera is a Sony Video Camera Recorder CCD-TRV138 NTSC http://store.sony.com/p/CCD-TRV138/en/p/CCDTRV138

Yes I am trying to burn the video from my camera directly to OneStep DVD
Using Sony Media Converter DVMC-DA2 analog to digital.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVMC-DA2-Digital-Media-Converter/dp/B0001Y7PNK

The camera has a 1 pin outlet port [mono] and plugs into media converter with RCA cables and from here a firewire to my Imac using Imovie 09

I have no problems importing video from camera to Imac's hard drive or directly to external hard drive storage and than import to Imovie 09 for editing, et cetera. However I would like to transfer some videos for a friend directly to a DVD and using OneStep DVD. As I have mentioned, my problem is OneStep DVD which will not recognize either of my video cameras. My other one being a HD Sony http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/459129-REG/Sony_HDRFX7_HDR_FX7_3CMOS_HDV_1080i.html

I also have http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=031329 and it transfers mono video to my Imac using a 2.0 USB port. Which I have used and works really well.

Thanks in advance,
RealBar

realbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
BC Canada
OneStep DVD

Are you trying to burn a dvd from your camera?. Can you explain your set up.
Is it iMovie software or FCP. How long is your footage.:confused:

Yes. My camera is a Sony CCD-TRV138 NTSC http://store.sony.com/p/CCD-TRV138/en/p/CCDTRV138 using Hi8 MP 8mm Video Cassettes.
The camera has a single pin outlet with 3 RCA cables attached to Sony Media Converter analog to digital http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVMC-DA2-Digital-Media-Converter/dp/B0001Y7PNK A fire wire from the Converter attached to my Imac using I movie 09.
The camera battery is charged and plugged into a power source
The tape is rewound and camera switched to Audit/Play.

I click on iDVD and than OneStep DVD. A menu pops up to ask me to insert a tape into my camera. I dvd does not recognize my hook-up. Please help
RealBar

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
What is frustrating when people have problems, but at times i just wish or hope they would give information regards what software they are using and other general information one need.
I can understand when one has a problem and they need help.
So when posting a problem tell us, them what you use and with what material and what software and anything which would help.
Thank you:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused::confused::):):)

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Do you have a DVD already in your iMac? I know you need to have a dvd in your drive for this to work or it just sits there looking dumb. You should also have the option of creating a OneStep from the file as this is the second option just incase you have archived something in the past.

Can you post any screen shots of the process?

Also if you have firewire it should just go from the camera to the Mac, no need to have something between them but this depends upon which version of iMovie you are using. I did a OneStep from the Mac I'm using right now from a file I off loaded and it works fine so did you also check if the camera is still supported by Apple?

More info as Daybreak mentioned might help even if one feels it's moot, small things add up over time :)

realbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
BC Canada
OneStep DVD

Do you have a DVD already in your iMac? I know you need to have a dvd in your drive for this to work or it just sits there looking dumb. You should also have the option of creating a OneStep from the file as this is the second option just incase you have archived something in the past.

Can you post any screen shots of the process?

Also if you have firewire it should just go from the camera to the Mac, no need to have something between them but this depends upon which version of iMovie you are using. I did a OneStep from the Mac I'm using right now from a file I off loaded and it works fine so did you also check if the camera is still supported by Apple?

More info as Daybreak mentioned might help even if one feels it's moot, small things add up over time :)
realbar thanks Artful Dodger for hanging in there...

- My OneStep works great from a file from either hard drive.
- I use iMovie 09
- Yes I do have a DVD in my Imac burner.

Reasons for routing through the Media Converter:
- to create Analog to Digital
- Camera used CCD-TRV138 for transferring has a single port outlet with RCA cables as mentioned before in detail about the process so I need to connect the RCA cables to the Media Converter to achieve the digital transfer as I cannot hook up RCA cables to my Imac. I do not have a problem with bringing the video into my Imac the problem is direct to iDVD from either camera

- with my new camera I connect a firewire to the Imac and immediately transfer video files to Imac Hard Drive or External Storage Drive but again it will not burn a DVD in the OneStep process through IDVD OneStep.

My no 1 problem is that IDVD will not recognize either video camera for burning a DVD direct from my video cassettes. If I go through the hard drive, with either camera, no problem but this means a 2 hour burn to hard drive and than a 2 hour burn to DVD.

Regarding posting screen shots, I have described and attached links for the camera and media converter that I use for this process. Also the connections I use.

So here they are again:
http://store.sony.com/p/CCD-TRV138/en/p/CCDTRV138
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVMC-DA2-Digital-Media-Converter/dp/B0001Y7PNK

jimunsworth

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Preparing project information taking forever

I have captured footage from my camera in IDVD One Step. All went well but now I have been waiting 1 hour while it says ' Preparing project information' Should it take this long.
I might add that I stopped the capture before the tape ended as there was footage from a previous shoot but it directed me to continue and I did.
Any ideas on this?

Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.