Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jenna7

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
i have no damn idea, but i´m excited about ne new skills it probably gonna have. I´m actually waiting for a big phone revolution and not just a bigger and skinnier model. So, i hope Apple will come up with something great!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Good to see it's impossible to have an intelligent discussion on Macrumors without being overrun by trolls seeking attention
If you wanted an intelligent discussion then you wouldn't have stated what I've quoted below which hasn't proven to be a reason for the iPhone model naming despite being cited in countless prior "What's the next iPhone going to be called?" threads:
Reasons why it'll be 8:

1) It's the 8th generation iPhone
Take a look at the prior models. Only 1 ever had a model name that coincided with the generation. The next one will be the 7th generation, not the 8th. 1 out 6 isn't a high probability.

Don't mistake disagreement with a lack of intelligence. History is the only indicator that we have for guessing what Apple might do in the future.

How long and how many releases is it going to take you guys to get over the fact that Apple does not name their phones according to generation?
Sadly, I don't think the number of releases matter. "Those who don't learn from history..."

...are doomed to keep posting these threads.

Now, if I would learn from history I'd stop clicking on them. :p

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If you wanted an intelligent discussion then you wouldn't have stated what I've quoted below which hasn't proven to be a reason for the iPhone model naming despite being cited in countless prior "What's the next iPhone going to be called?" threads:

Take a look at the prior models. Only 1 ever had a model name that coincided with the generation. The next one will be the 7th generation, not the 8th. 1 out 6 isn't a high probability.

Don't mistake disagreement with a lack of intelligence. History is the only indicator that we have for guessing what Apple might do in the future.

Sadly, I don't think the number of releases matter. "Those who don't learn from history..."

...are doomed to keep posting these threads.

Now, if I would learn from history I'd stop clicking on them. :p

iPhone 4, iPad 2.

Oh look, two devices named by their generation! Yes, history certainly makes it clearer... not. :rolleyes:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

iPhone 4, iPad 2.

Oh look, two devices named by their generation! Yes, history certainly makes it clearer... not. :rolleyes:

I think his point is that Apple always DOES NOT necessarily follow that nomenclature:

iPhone:

2nd = iPhone 3G
3rd = iPhone 3GS (3GS =/= 3)
5th = iPhone 4S
6th = iPhone 5
7th = iPhone 5S (rumored)

iPad:

3rd = The new iPad
4th = Same?

They seem to be consistent with the iPod Touch though.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
iPhone 4, iPad 2.

Holy S^*t Snacks!!!!! Who gives a F#$#&(?!!!!. It's called what it's called. Done.

In 1949 Oldsmobile came out with the "Delta 88". Do you think people of the day had long discussions about "Where is the Delta 87 or 51?" I can just see all those kids in their pleated pants and poodle skirts down at the old malt shop saying "You know Johnny, it should really be called the "Delta 1" because this is the first generation of the car". "Your right Suzy, but what do you think the next version will be called?". "The Delta 89? Do you think so? Huh? Do ya? Do ya? Huh?"

No! Johnny didn't ask Suzy this because he didn't give a s*%t?. As long as he had a back seat to bump and grind with Suzy in he didn't care. And so it should be with all of you. As long as you guys have a phone to talk on, text on, and so on who gives a crap what it's called?

God!

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Holy S^*t Snacks!!!!! Who gives a F#$#&(?!!!!. It's called what it's called. Done.
---
As long as you guys have a phone to talk on, text on, and so on who gives a crap what it's called?

God!

Why did you feel compelled to talk about a topic you have no interest in? I was simply laying out an argument for "iPhone 8" as the name, and I certainly don't expect you to comment on it if it bothers you so much.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
My assumption is that the next iPhone will be a minor upgrade as many others have pointed out here before me. Betting all my cards on iPhone 5S (s for speed) :)

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Why did you feel compelled to talk about a topic you have no interest in? I was simply laying out an argument for "iPhone 8" as the name, and I certainly don't expect you to comment on it if it bothers you so much.

Even you don't believe it's a good argument.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.