Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1
vandrv
macrumors regular

iPad Photo Viewing

I.m not sure if this is the right forum or not but I have a question about using my Ipad as a photo viewer. I recently purchased a Nikon D800 which has both CF and SD card slots. So I purchased the Ipad camera connection kit, thinking I could shoot raw on the CF card and jpegs on the SD. This would allow me to use the Ipad to view the photos in the field, rather than drag along a laptop. My question is, is there a good photo viewing app that will allow to me to view the photos on the card without having to actually transfer them to the Ipad, which I have no real desire to do. Thanks for any advice.
vandrv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

I don't recall how iPhoto works, but with Aperture when I connect my card the app opens a preview window with the images on my card and checkboxes. I assume I'm looking at the contents of the card before the actual import is performed. if iPhoto for the iPad works the same, you should be able to look at the photos before importing them but I'm not sure you could edit or delete the images on the card.

Dale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:35 PM   #3
vandrv
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Dale View Post
I don't recall how iPhoto works, but with Aperture when I connect my card the app opens a preview window with the images on my card and checkboxes. I assume I'm looking at the contents of the card before the actual import is performed. if iPhoto for the iPad works the same, you should be able to look at the photos before importing them but I'm not sure you could edit or delete the images on the card.

Dale
Thanks for this. I thought perhaps I photo would do this but wasn't sure. All I really want to do with the Ipad is enlarge them so I can check focus, etc. My old eyes aren't what they used to be.
vandrv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:49 PM   #4
TheReef
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandrv View Post
I.m not sure if this is the right forum or not but I have a question about using my Ipad as a photo viewer. I recently purchased a Nikon D800 which has both CF and SD card slots. So I purchased the Ipad camera connection kit, thinking I could shoot raw on the CF card and jpegs on the SD. This would allow me to use the Ipad to view the photos in the field, rather than drag along a laptop. My question is, is there a good photo viewing app that will allow to me to view the photos on the card without having to actually transfer them to the Ipad, which I have no real desire to do. Thanks for any advice.
Unfortunately the only option is to use the default photo viewer shipped with the iPad, which does involve importing them. Apple really needs to fix this, it's currently very limited.
There are no apps that can read directly from the SD card.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

This is a bit outside of your original question.

If you are trying to check focus then the CamRanger will let you look at either full sized JPEGs or live view from the camera on your iPad. So far I have only fiddled with it at home. I will be using it for the first time tomorrow in a studio setting.

Not as inexpensive as the camera connection kit but it might be a solution for your needs.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReef View Post
There are no apps that can read directly from the SD card.
... unless you jailbreak and use symlinks to map the contents of the card to any AppStore app. Then, you'll be able to directly(!!!) browse the images - w/o even having to import them first.

Alternatively, w/o symlinks, you can access the card via iFile. Too bad its pic viewer is of pretty bad quality and is slow.

See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1464236 for more info.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:10 AM   #7
dmax35
macrumors 6502

Nikon D800E + Eye fi 16GB Pro X2 Class 10 + New iPad Retina Display (speed test)

Watch this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNAgzdga__0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandrv View Post

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography