Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikesGravity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Southeast MI
So I have 3 Apple TV's. It's amazing to be able to stream music from the cloud (iTunes match) to my bedroom upstairs, living room or basement and control everything right through my iPhone. BUT...

Is there a way to be able to stream the same thing to MULTIPLE apple tv's at the same time? Say I want the same music playing in the living room and basement?

Thanks in advance.

rivettmj

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
As long as your using a PC/Mac (and not an iPhone, etc) you should be able to select multiple sources (and have them all active for audio at the same time)

In the airplay option in iTunes you'll see a options at the top for "single" or "multiple" (you can even set the volume per device as well!)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
As long as your using a PC/Mac (and not an iPhone, etc) you should be able to select multiple sources (and have them all active for audio at the same time)

In the airplay option in iTunes you'll see a options at the top for "single" or "multiple" (you can even set the volume per device as well!)
And you can even use the Apple's Remote app on iOS devices to control which speakers and the volume for them.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
as rivettmj said, itunes on a computer will stream to multiple devices at once.

if you want audio from something besides iTunes, you can get airfoil. it will let you pick any one program (or whole system audio) and stream it to any combination of the airplay devices on your network.

it doesn't work well for video though, as there is about a 2 second delay in audio only airplay due to buffering, so the video on your screen and the audio in the speakers will be out of sync. (apple gets around this in most of their programs by delaying the video to match)

another thing you can do with airfoil, they have a companion app called "airfoil speakers" you can use that as a destination for your iphone audio. and the from there use airfoil to send to multiple devices, you will have about a 4 second delay though.

i have 2 airplay speakers, an airport express with speakers hooked up, and a home theatre AV receiver with airplay. I regularly stream to all 4 of them, from both iTunes and airfoil (mostly use it for pandora) with no issues.

MikesGravity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Southeast MI
Thanks for the suggestions! Streaming directly from my Macbook to multiple devices is great (I didn't know you could do this).

BUT

Do any of you use iTunes Match? Part of the reason I love it is because I do not have to have my laptop even on to stream my music collection from my apple TV's, I can stream it all from the cloud by selecting what song I want through the remote app (not through the music app streaming airplay). I find doing it all through the remote app sounds better than streaming using airplay in the music (or "iPod") app. Anyone been able to do this to multiple ATV's?

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.