Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:13 AM   #26
bearda
macrumors 6502

I have a hard time believing they'd put it on retail sale given it's current state. I've used a Pebble daily for a few months and although it's a nice hobbyist item there's a lot needed to get it to prime time.

- On iOS you can reliably receive text/iMessage and control music. That's it. Calendar notifications, email, etc require changing settings every time the connection drops (which will happen randomly) and even then are kind of random. Canceling notifications from the watch (shown on the Kickstarter video) is a pipe dream. I'm told things improve dramatically if you jailbreak, but I can't imagine the average consumer taking that as a requirement.
- Using a Nexus 4 it seems like Android support is better than iOS, but still a mess. This may be a factor of the phone (the Nexus 4's Bluetooth support is surprisingly unreliable) but I get frequent connection drops. Calender, email, gmail, and Google Hangouts notifications work well when the connection to the phone is up, though.
- Bluetooth 4.0 is completely unused. I understand part of that is due to the Android stack situation, but it's been pushed as a feature that's not a feature.
- Replacement power cords are not readily available.

I like my Pebble, and bought it with the expectation that the software would improve. Still, I would think that offering it up in it's current form would result in a LOT of returns. It just doesn't deliver on it's promise at the moment.
bearda is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 07:56 AM   #27
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Someone can buy mine. It's pretty useless, frankly. I expected it to run with many apps by now, including MapMyRide. They took waaay too long to get the SDK out, and by the time developers start coming out with useful apps for it Apple will have a competing product that works better, I'm sure.

Basically, I have a $115 sport watch that runs down in 7 days.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:27 AM   #28
litmag01
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNealBarrett View Post
I am not optimistic that Apple will be able to match the Pebble's nearly 1-week battery life.
Why do you say that? There seems to be really good battery life on other apple products.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 09:42 AM   #29
craigab1
macrumors newbie

This Sucks

I've been waiting for my pre-order through Kickstarter since they launched. I understand they want to sell through the big box stores, but they couldn't do that without our early support. Shame on you Pebble.
craigab1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 01:17 PM   #30
hofer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
Someone can buy mine. It's pretty useless, frankly. I expected it to run with many apps by now, including MapMyRide. They took waaay too long to get the SDK out, and by the time developers start coming out with useful apps for it Apple will have a competing product that works better, I'm sure.

Basically, I have a $115 sport watch that runs down in 7 days.
A sport watch that doesn't even have a stop watch!

I have had one for a few months, and the only thing about it that I find truly useful is the SMS and call notification.

Mine have had so many problems that I am now getting a replacement. The problems include, among many others, fuzzy text, flickering screen and Siri getting disabled.
The photo that accompanied the article shows a pebble supposedly showing the current temperature or weather forecast - something the current version of Pebble is not able to do.

Good idea - poor execution!
hofer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 02:13 PM   #31
Earendil
macrumors 68000

To those lamenting that fact that they don't have their pre-order yet and can't believe they'd sign up with bestbuy before filling them, I have just one question:
Do you know that they aren't about to receive a shipment of 10 million watches? Because if you aren't, I don't see a problem here.

If they are finally seeing the production ramp up, then it's only natural to start signing up new avenues for sales. And of course, you'd start those negotiations way earlier, and just stipulate that new partners will only see the excess inventory. Unless of course someone knows otherwise, I'd suggest no one panic just yet.

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:43 PM   #32
AstronomyiPhone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsterilite View Post
Money changes everything.
It's certainly a great idea from a marketing perspective...or at least it would be if the product was actually ready for release to mainstream consumers...
AstronomyiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:09 PM   #33
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Have fun while it lasts, Pebble.
LOL. A year from now it will be funny to look back at Pebble.
We'll dissect all the marketing, technology, and design mistakes they made.
Then, eventually, Apple will step in and show the world how to do it right.
BOOM.

The smart watch concept isn't a new thing.
A successful smart watch will be a new thing.
Here are some unsuccessful smart watches.

1994 Timex DataLink (co-developed with Microsoft)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Datalink

Starfish total-fail at Macworld 2013 ("Did you hear me? I’m done talking to you.")
http://www.macworld.com/article/2027...ng-blocks.html

Last edited by SockRolid; Jul 2, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
SockRolid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 02:58 AM   #34
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earendil View Post
To those lamenting that fact that they don't have their pre-order yet and can't believe they'd sign up with bestbuy before filling them, I have just one question:
Do you know that they aren't about to receive a shipment of 10 million watches? Because if you aren't, I don't see a problem here.

If they are finally seeing the production ramp up, then it's only natural to start signing up new avenues for sales. And of course, you'd start those negotiations way earlier, and just stipulate that new partners will only see the excess inventory. Unless of course someone knows otherwise, I'd suggest no one panic just yet.
The thing is that as a backer and a pre-order customer, you expect being able to get a product BEFORE it's available for anyone else. If they're getting a shipment of ten million watches and start selling them in BB on Monday - the ones that made the sale via BB possible will be getting their watches AFTER your average Joe can get one.

Say you book a table at a restaurant for four people. You're there on time with your three friends and the head waiter apologises, but you'll have to wait in the bar for a little while. A few minutes later, four people drop in and asks if they have a table for four. The head waiter says "yes, of course, right this way".

Now, even if the head waiter looks at you and says "your table is ready, I'm just going to seat these people, I'll be right with you", wouldn't you expect that as a person that called in advance to book a table and are waiting, the head waiter should take care of you before he takes care of people who just dropped in?
hafr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:27 AM   #35
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Best Buy Sales Manager:

"Unload!!!!! Sell sell sell! Sell everything me boyos! Sell the entire inventory while it's still worth SOMETHING!!"

Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 02:39 PM   #36
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
LOL. A year from now it will be funny to look back at Pebble.
We'll dissect all the marketing, technology, and design mistakes they made.
Then, eventually, Apple will step in and show the world how to do it right.
BOOM.

The smart watch concept isn't a new thing.
A successful smart watch will be a new thing.
Here are some unsuccessful smart watches.

1994 Timex DataLink (co-developed with Microsoft)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Datalink

Starfish total-fail at Macworld 2013 ("Did you hear me? Iím done talking to you.")
http://www.macworld.com/article/2027...ng-blocks.html

U could tell that starfish was doomed for failure just by looking at the horrid, generic clipart used on the banner.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 05:07 PM   #37
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
U could tell that starfish was doomed for failure just by looking at the horrid, generic clipart used on the banner.
Sad, really. I suspect they paid too little attention to software development and put too much trust in their overseas hardware partners. It's tough developing an all-new software platform on existing hardware. And tough developing all-new hardware for an existing software platform. But developing both simultaneously is N-squared tough.

If they had only brought posters and flyers to Macworld, just as a teaser, and said "We'll be shipping the product some time in the near-to-medium future, and we're here now to gauge interest" then it might have been OK. That way, if they give up and quit later, they do it in private. No public aggro meltdown.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 09:55 AM   #38
MNealBarrett
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by litmag01 View Post
Why do you say that? There seems to be really good battery life on other apple products.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/04/...in-prototypes/

Also, knowing Apple, they will insist on a color LCD display. Have you ever tried to use your cell phone in bright sunlight? I don't know about you, but I have to take my sunglasses off to use it, even with the display set at the brightest setting. This would be damn inconvenient for a watch. A fringe benefit of the Pebble's B&W display is not having to do this.
MNealBarrett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:41 PM   #39
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
Sad, really. I suspect they paid too little attention to software development and put too much trust in their overseas hardware partners. It's tough developing an all-new software platform on existing hardware. And tough developing all-new hardware for an existing software platform. But developing both simultaneously is N-squared tough.

If they had only brought posters and flyers to Macworld, just as a teaser, and said "We'll be shipping the product some time in the near-to-medium future, and we're here now to gauge interest" then it might have been OK. That way, if they give up and quit later, they do it in private. No public aggro meltdown.
I see their Facebook page still exists, and they post to it every few months with "coming soon!"

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:09 PM   #40
macnerd77
macrumors regular

Was in my local Best Buy yesterday, The store rep ordered one for me it should be delivered by monday. The Pebble will have to tide me over until apple releases their smart watch.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 06:41 AM   #41
walkamongus
macrumors newbie

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNealBarrett View Post
I am not optimistic that Apple will be able to match the Pebble's nearly 1-week battery life.
You don't think one of the largest and most successful companies in the world can't top Pebble? That is too funny. I'm sure Cupertino is in a frenzy trying to figure out how Pebble did it, as they don't have much experience in battery technology...c'mon.
walkamongus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 03:50 PM   #42
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkamongus View Post
You don't think one of the largest and most successful companies in the world can't top Pebble? That is too funny. I'm sure Cupertino is in a frenzy trying to figure out how Pebble did it, as they don't have much experience in battery technology...c'mon.
With the rumors of Apple's watch being a color LCD, it will be extremely difficult. If they managed to wow us with a not-before-seen high quality full-color e-ink screen with never-before-seen low redraw rate, maybe...

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 05:09 PM   #43
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502

cool, but i'm waiting for the sony smartwatch 2 or if the iWatch hits the market by this year i'll definitely go for it.
blitzer09x87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 05:39 PM   #44
beaniemyman
Banned

no thanks, i'm eagerly waiting for the iWatch, it'll definitely kill sony and pebble.
beaniemyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion