Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Um, can we go back to the question first. I don't think it's an easy task for your iPad to open 1GB+ files without crashing it completely.

In this case it's clear that a tablet is not what you need. Even an Android tablet that allows you to plug in a USB drive won't be able to open those big files. Just use a PC or a Mac.

Case closed :D

I don't think the file size is the real issue here. Why doesn't Apple allow the user to expand the storage capacity of an iPad, either through a SD slot, or USB port. I know they want to push you in the direction of buying bigger internal storage from them but all they have to do is only make it available in the 64GB ipad. That way, you max out on what they offer on internal storage but have the option of expanding. Win-win.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Not even the HyperDrive allows for true access via the CCK, which is, BTW, clearly explained at http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/29/hands-on-with-cloudftp-ios-data-storage-to-go/

In order to be able to use the CCK (and not Wi-Fi access) for both reading and even writing access, you absolutely must jailbreak and either use symlinks (for AppStore apps) or jailbreak apps with full filesystem access (iFile, RushPlayer+ etc). See my dedicated article at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1464236/ , where I've explained this all.

(BTW, I recommend following my articles here at MR. I've published tons of never-before-published tips and tricks and a lot of decent tutorials.)

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
Again.. "HyperDrive" works with iPad Camera kit. Anything that uses Camera kit is limited to photo/video files. That doesn't solve the original problem.

The second "iUSBport" gadget is basically the same thing as Kingston Wi-Drive, except it requires external storage. It's an OK solution, but personally I am not a fan of carrying multiple gadgets to accomplish simple tasks.. If I am in a situation that requires dealing with USB sticks, files, etc - a laptop is a better solution than iPad.

Why not just plug the ipad into the PC, start up iTunes, and drag drop the file to something like good reader.

Job done.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Why not just plug the ipad into the PC, start up iTunes, and drag drop the file to something like good reader.

Job done.

Uhmm.. You may want to read the issue described in the original post, which is what this thread is trying to address. I think everyone is aware that you can transfer files onto iPad via PC/iTunes.

Not even the HyperDrive allows for true access via the CCK, which is, BTW, clearly explained at http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/29/hands-on-with-cloudftp-ios-data-storage-to-go/

Yep. It's unfortunate that Apple chose to restrict CCK use to photos/videos.. There is no technical reason why iOS couldn't support generic file access via CCK (in the way JB + iFile does). I find all these other solutions with battery-based WiFi drives to be big kludges..

Last edited:

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
I'm so glad this anecdote was posted! I was just discussing what made the once unstoppable Silicon Graphics Inc. go bust and one of those 'things' was that Apple OS was cheaper, as well as user friendly and relatively open compared to SGI. SGI used hardware 'dongles' to lock out unregistered users etc. Eventually, all SGI users migrated over to Apple and Windoze for high end editing.
By making the 'Apple' ecosystem as proprietary as possible with respect to data transfer, Apple has brought back horrible memories of the demise of SGI.

The OP has put his finger on one of the most critical aspects of mobile data interchange moving forward,.....that

Interoperability is King!

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Here's another product, which in my mind comes pretty close to "the right" solution. It's a simple adapter.. small size, doesn't require charging:

http://www.photofast.tw/products.asp?pid=126

BUT.. it only comes with 30-pin connector, so obviously doesn't work with the latest Lightning iDevices.. And apparently iOS 6 broke this thing altogether. Who knows if and when it will get fixed..

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Could just buy your own data stick and get the client to put it on there instead of his own?..

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
- Bring your own USB drive
- Burn the docs/data to a DVD
- Post them to a filesharing solution (DropBox, GDrive, etc.)
- Guest network access and access it via an S/FTP client or share your device using iFiles (which BTW, also has an S/FTP client :) Great app! )

If you're dealing with a high security client, they're not going to be passing around USB sticks anyway.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I went to one of my clients last week and this is what happened... He gave me a usb drive with the info for the job and I couldn't take it with me. The iPad doesn't have a USB port. My client had a Galaxy tablet and showed me how easy it was with it. I looked my iPad and said... This isn't working for me.. What a shame. Is there something I can attach to the iPad that would read info from a USB drive?

WTF? That's what you got email for. Lots of people don't allow flash drives from unknown sources anyway.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I don't think the file size is the real issue here. Why doesn't Apple allow the user to expand the storage capacity of an iPad, either through a SD slot, or USB port. I know they want to push you in the direction of buying bigger internal storage from them but all they have to do is only make it available in the 64GB ipad. That way, you max out on what they offer on internal storage but have the option of expanding. Win-win.

I think that the actual intent is to push users towards cloud based storage.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

While Apple sure doesn't mind selling you additional storage at time of purchase, the reality is that SD cards are a real mixed bag in mobile devices like phones and tablets. Have you noticed that Google no longer offers them in their Nexus line? Even in on the MS Surface, you can pop a card in, but without a hack, it is for file transfer to the main storage only - you can't add content that lives on a card to your libraries.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
While Apple sure doesn't mind selling you additional storage at time of purchase, the reality is that SD cards are a real mixed bag in mobile devices like phones and tablets. Have you noticed that Google no longer offers them in their Nexus line? Even in on the MS Surface, you can pop a card in, but without a hack, it is for file transfer to the main storage only - you can't add content that lives on a card to your libraries.

Yes, but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with using SDHC for extended media storage on mobile devices.. The OS and apps always live on NAND, SD just adds extended space for library data. I don't know about Win8, but Android support for SD storage is quite mature and reliable.

I can understand why Apple chose to not offer SD on iDevices, but I would love for my iPad to come with SDHC slot. Much cleaner solution then their "Camera Kit".

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yes, but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with using SDHC for extended media storage on mobile devices.. The OS and apps always live on NAND, SD just adds extended space for library data. I don't know about Win8, but Android support for SD storage is quite mature and reliable.

I can understand why Apple chose to not offer SD on iDevices, but I would love for my iPad to come with SDHC slot. Much cleaner solution then their "Camera Kit".

The fundamental problem on every platform is that people want it to be all things, and that's where the problems start. Again, I ask why Google of all companies have removed it from their devices if it is so reliable?

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
WTF? That's what you got email for. Lots of people don't allow flash drives from unknown sources anyway.

Are you gonna send a 1GB file by email?... sometimes the file es bigger... I don't think sending that by email will help. If you send me an email with a 1GB attachment I will reply with the same phrase... WTF!

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania

Yeah, it's a shame, I have a 5 year old Garmin GPS in my car that lts you store music, audiobooks, pics, etc. on a sd card that the unit then reads. The apps live on the unit, along with a limited amount of storage but it reads the file fom the card.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
Yeah, it's a shame, I have a 5 year old Garmin GPS in my car that lts you store music, audiobooks, pics, etc. on a sd card that the unit then reads. The apps live on the unit, along with a limited amount of storage but it reads the file fom the card.

It's absurd. Apple has been raking in Billions by selling hard drives (yes, starting with the very first ipod, way back then) at a gross premium, knowing full well that if they open the architecture to external media, its customers, us the users, will actually get more than 6 months of use from their devices.
Absurdly Microsoft-like behavior!:mad:

----------

I think that the actual intent is to push users towards cloud based storage.

...which in my enterprise is mostly BANNED for security reasons. :D

"Big Brother Lives in the Cloud"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.