Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If they are benchmarking at 13+ hours for video playback, why is it hard to believe 18+ hours for normal things like checking email, browsing the web, etc?

20 hours seems to be the norm for me, mostly web browsing and reading magazines. half brightness, etc.

exactly. I charged my last night when it was at 34% and had 14 hours of usage. I'm sure I could have gotten 18 before it totally died.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
If they are benchmarking at 13+ hours for video playback, why is it hard to believe 18+ hours for normal things like checking email, browsing the web, etc?

They also benchmarked 'normal' things like web browsing, which ended up consuming more battery than video due to wifi usage:

51362.png

Source

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
They also benchmarked 'normal' things like web browsing, which ended up consuming more battery than video due to wifi usage:

Source

Right, but understand that their benchmarks are for the most part far more resource intensive than the typical use case. They reload pages at a fixed interval, preferring JS-heavy desktop versions to mobile versions to purposefully tax the cpu, while doing their best to minimize caching. The average user isn't doing that, and is in fact probably navigating to a page, spending a few minutes reading it before moving on, etc.

Tests like that are good to be standardized to form a baseline where we can compare one device to another, but it's not surprising that people are getting far better battery life under actual use situations.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Right, but understand that their benchmarks are for the most part far more resource intensive than the typical use case. They reload pages at a fixed interval, preferring JS-heavy desktop versions to mobile versions to purposefully tax the cpu, while doing their best to minimize caching. The average user isn't doing that, and is in fact probably navigating to a page, spending a few minutes reading it before moving on, etc.

Tests like that are good to be standardized to form a baseline where we can compare one device to another, but it's not surprising that people are getting far better battery life under actual use situations.

That's true. I do have an iPad 4 myself though, and I seem to average about 10% batter/hour, that's why I was surprised at the numbers being posted here. I do tend to jump around between apps constantly though (check email, ebay, reddit, etc.)

ShUpAC

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
picked up my new ipad last week, and i cannot get over how amazing the battery life on this thing is:

qQVeB.png

I probably would have had another hour or so of usage with 12% left. Love it

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Wifi Tethering - Screen Off (iPad 4 vs iPad Mini)

iPad 4 LTE vs iPad Mini LTE

with the screen off and all apps closed, which would potentially have a longer battery life if being used for wifi tethering?

Booloo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I'd say the 4 due to the physical size of the battery.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I don't believe any of these numbers.

I suspect a "usage" leak occurring.

Try checking the "usage" before bed, then wake up and check... I guarantee the "usage" will have gone up quite a lot.

Apple should create a "screen on" time like Android has... Apple "usage" screen is really inaccurate and misleading

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011

Try checking the "usage" before bed, then wake up and check... I guarantee the "usage" will have gone up quite a lot.

Apple should create a "screen on" time like Android has... Apple "usage" screen is really inaccurate and misleading

this is correct. i can confirm that the usage still continues to increase even if the smart cover is closed.

my iPad Mini had a usage 3 days, battery was at 86%. obviously i was barely using it for those 3 days...it was just sitting on my nightstand most of the time.

they need a more accurate usage monitor in iOS - what's in there now is a giant joke

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

There are times when that happens, but its easy to identify because the usage and stand-by times rise at the same rate or are exactly the same.

There can be usage when the screen is off - ie. playing music, but these usage times are accurate. I use mine for about 3-4 hours/day total, and I need to charge about every 5 days.

Screen on time is also not the only way a device can be doing useful work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.