Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
When I play music that is from my iTunes Match via the Apple TV. The music is mufled and distorted.

Is this a hardware problem or leads. Any ideas?

Everything s plugged in as normal.

Latest Model - Launched Mar 2012

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
When I play music that is from my iTunes Match via the Apple TV. The music is mufled and distorted.

Is this a hardware problem or leads. Any ideas?

Everything s plugged in as normal.

Latest Model - Launched Mar 2012

thats odd my ATV is very loud compared to when i switch inputs to my cable box

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
thats odd my ATV is very loud compared to when i switch inputs to my cable box

Its like it is playing at a really low bit rate and really distorted.

I have the ethernet cable plugged into the back on the ATV, HDMI cable into the back of the ATV and my HDTV. (the normal way)

Is there anything I can try. I have rest the ATV and also checked the software and its all upto date.

What can i do to test it?

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I used to get similar from time to time. I ended up buying a fibre optic cable to plug into the back of the ATV that then fed into the TOSLink input on my TV and that seemed to do the trick for me.

I don't think ATV "does sound" too well over the HDMI interface.

Ok Ill give the cable a go and see if that sorts out. thanks:)

Nate808

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
May Have Found the Problem...

I know this thread is a couple months old, but I'm not sure if anyone has found the solution... in case anyone stumbles upon this thread like I did from a Google search... the way I remedied my sound distortion/over-modulation issue (primarily iTunes Match music) was by disabling (turning off) Sound Check and Sound Effects. For 3rd Gen Apple TV this is located under Settings > Audio & Video > Sound Check, Sound Effects (clicking the middle button on your remote will toggle them "Off".

To give you some background of my Apple TV setup:

• Apple TV:apple: 3rd Gen
  • Audio Output via HDMI to my TV (My TV audio out to my receiver is via a fiber optic audio cable to my receiver)
  • I was primarily experiencing the audio distortion/over-modulation of iTunes Match Music
  • I verified that my MP3 Source files were not the issue because they sound fine in all other platforms (through my iPod on my car stereo, on my Macbook Pro through iTunes, on my PC, etc.)

So I'm noticing with the Apple TV settings I mentioned above toggled "off" seemed to solve my problem. The only "problem" that you may experience with Sound Check toggled off is your music (through iTunes Match) will vary in volume output, but if you have professionally recorded music tracks then this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I hope this may solve someone's audio issue with Apple TV, especially the music lovers who have a large collection in iTunes Match.

All My Best,

Nate

phphreak

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2009
May Have Found the Problem...

I know this thread is a couple months old, but I'm not sure if anyone has found the solution... in case anyone stumbles upon this thread like I did from a Google search... the way I remedied my sound distortion/over-modulation issue (primarily iTunes Match music) was by disabling (turning off) Sound Check and Sound Effects. For 3rd Gen Apple TV this is located under Settings > Audio & Video > Sound Check, Sound Effects (clicking the middle button on your remote will toggle them "Off".

To give you some background of my Apple TV setup:

• Apple TV:apple: 3rd Gen
  • Audio Output via HDMI to my TV (My TV audio out to my receiver is via a fiber optic audio cable to my receiver)
  • I was primarily experiencing the audio distortion/over-modulation of iTunes Match Music
  • I verified that my MP3 Source files were not the issue because they sound fine in all other platforms (through my iPod on my car stereo, on my Macbook Pro through iTunes, on my PC, etc.)

So I'm noticing with the Apple TV settings I mentioned above toggled "off" seemed to solve my problem. The only "problem" that you may experience with Sound Check toggled off is your music (through iTunes Match) will vary in volume output, but if you have professionally recorded music tracks then this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I hope this may solve someone's audio issue with Apple TV, especially the music lovers who have a large collection in iTunes Match.

All My Best,

Nate
Thanks for this. You've solved my muffled sound problem!

Reactions: Ryq W

Ryq W

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2016
Thanks for this. You've solved my muffled sound problem!

Nate. It's 7 years later and this still works. Thank you. Whoda thunkit. The system (mac/appletv/lg/wifi network....the only reason it's not rube goldberg is there is no cat attached to a pulley) was working fine, then all of a sudden, the sound was sputtering.

Turning off the sound check and effects worked. It might have taken me hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.