Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
So I am coming over from PC and have just got done copying over files from an NTFS external to my new iMac via Paragon.

I now want to erase and set up my external hard drive for a backup. How do I format it? Should I leave it NTFS since I have Paragon? Or is it better to format it first so it's friendlier for Mac (not sure how to do this)?

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
To use the drive as a timeMachine you have to format it to osx extended (journaled)

when you finish it will ask to use the drive as backup, or you can select it in the TM settings

02_partitioning_tiger.jpg

dwmc

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
If you want to use TimeMachine, I would format is as 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, select your external drive, select 'Erase', select 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' as the Format and give it a name.

Obviously, be certain you're not doing this to your primary OS drive.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
To use the drive as a timeMachine you have to format it to osx extended (journaled)

when you finish it will ask to use the drive as backup, or you can select it in the TM settings

If you want to use TimeMachine, I would format is as 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, select your external drive, select 'Erase', select 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' as the Format and give it a name.

Obviously, be certain you're not doing this to your primary OS drive.

I will try this thanks guys. I have another question what if I wanted to back up with CCC instead how should I format it then? I haven't fully decided yet on which way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.