Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kelsmiche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
I have a lifeproof case for my IPad and I can't get the adapter to plug in all the way so I can listen to the headphones. I've taken the case off and put it back on and the same thing happens every time, I plug the adapter in as far as it will go and yet the sound still comes out of the speaker on the iPad. Help!

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I have a lifeproof case for my IPad and I can't get the adapter to plug in all the way so I can listen to the headphones. I've taken the case off and put it back on and the same thing happens every time, I plug the adapter in as far as it will go and yet the sound still comes out of the speaker on the iPad. Help!

Have you tried talking to the makers of the case? Another option is to try making the headphone hole (in the case) larger so you can get the headphone plug in further. Are you using the provided headphones? The jack on those is about as minimal as you can get... I've had other headphone sets that I had to "trim" with some cases to get them to fit...

I hope that you've tested without the case and everything works that way, right?

Clint

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
There are solutions that in some way depend on the cost of your headphones. Drew at Moon-Audio is very much the perfectionist and can assemble a custom adaptor. His work is expensive, so it might only make sense for costly headphones.

Many case manufacturers provide clearance based on the apple ear-bud types. These have a very minimal barrel.

Another solution would be to acquire a headphone amp and plug that into the ipad and then plug your headphones into the amp. The amp is plugged into the ipad via the DOC using an LOD cable. This can get very expensive but it has the ability to radically improve sound.

You need to think through your various options in relation to what your overall sonic goal is.

Jay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.