Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miksterman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I've started encoding MKV files made from Blu rays for the first time using the Apple TV 3 preset in Handbrake. Is everybody use the settings as is for that preset or has anyone tried tweaking the settings some? I've tried the ATV 3 preset with the settings it's set at and gotten one movie file around 8.5 GB but other 2 movies I've encoded have been around 3.5 GB which surprised me. Also are the audio settings correct in that preset or has anyone tweaked those settings as well. I mainly view my movies on ATV 3 on a Samsung 46" LED no surround speakers but may at some point get a 5.1 surround system.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I've started encoding MKV files made from Blu rays for the first time using the Apple TV 3 preset in Handbrake. Is everybody use the settings as is for that preset or has anyone tried tweaking the settings some? I've tried the ATV 3 preset with the settings it's set at and gotten one movie file around 8.5 GB but other 2 movies I've encoded have been around 3.5 GB which surprised me. Also are the audio settings correct in that preset or has anyone tweaked those settings as well. I mainly view my movies on ATV 3 on a Samsung 46" LED no surround speakers but may at some point get a 5.1 surround system.
File size is not only influenced by HB setting but also the movie's length, action, grain, lightness/darkness and numerous other items. It's not unusual to have a wide span of file sizes.

Don't make yourself crazy with HB settings. It's makes a nice hobby but most just use the well developed aTV3 preset. It has been optimized by the HB developers to yield very high picture/audio quality with minimal file size. All of that will cost you some transcoding time, however.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Not to hijack this thread (since my question is on the same topic), but what is the significance of the ATV3 preset using 30fps? I thought it was better use the same frame rate as the source?

Just my inquiring mind wanting to know.

tMH

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I believe it's a variable frame rate, meaning, if I understand correctly, it is same as source, up to and including 30 fps.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Not to hijack this thread (since my question is on the same topic), but what is the significance of the ATV3 preset using 30fps? I thought it was better use the same frame rate as the source?

Just my inquiring mind wanting to know.

tMH
It uses same frame rate but is set to a maximum of 30fps which complies with the aTV3 specifications.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
correct, it uses 30 fps as the peak framerate, under that its same as source. As said above this makes sure its compliant with the atv 3's specs.

basically any common source (both ntsc video/film or pal) will be same as source. But something like 60fps ota will be nerfed down to 30 fps so it is atv3 compliant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.