Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Meerika
macrumors newbie

rMBP vs Adobe

I need to buy a new Mac (iMac & MacBook 2007) for my animation work.
I love the idea of a superfast rMBP to work on, but Adobe seems to obstruct these plans.

They have updated a few of their products like photoshop and illustrator. But Flash and After Effects (i use these all the time) are on some kind of 'we don't know IF and we don't know WHEN update list'.
Even thought of switching to ToonBoom and/or TvPaint, but can't find much on them being retina-ready...

Does anyone run Fl or Ae (or TB of TvP) on a rMPB and would care to share some screenshots how it looks? (or tell me if its bad )

Or does anyone know more about Adobe updates?

Should I buy a MBP instead?
I'm a bit scared of buying a MBP and a few months later adobe (and other software developers) update the things i use most, and then having to work 5 more years on a heavier and slower MBP instead of the supernewfastshiny rMBP
Meerika is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerika View Post
I need to buy a new Mac (iMac & MacBook 2007) for my animation work.
I love the idea of a superfast rMBP to work on, but Adobe seems to obstruct these plans.

They have updated a few of their products like photoshop and illustrator. But Flash and After Effects (i use these all the time) are on some kind of 'we don't know IF and we don't know WHEN update list'.
Even thought of switching to ToonBoom and/or TvPaint, but can't find much on them being retina-ready...

Does anyone run Fl or Ae (or TB of TvP) on a rMPB and would care to share some screenshots how it looks? (or tell me if its bad )

Or does anyone know more about Adobe updates?

I'm a bit scared of buying a MBP and a few months later adobe (and other software developers) update the things i use most, and then having to work 5 more years on a heavier and slower MBP instead of the supernewfastshiny rMBP
Flash isn't too bad:

Thumb resize.

Photoshop was horrible, but now that's fixed I'm all happy since it's the only Adobe app I use regularly enough to worry about.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
ryanstewart
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerika View Post
If you're planning on using the machine for the next 5 years, I'd highly recommend going for the Retina MacBook Pro. Apple is obviously pushing the Retina displays, and developers will surely optimize their products accordingly. No one knows the exact timeline, but I doubt it will be a very long wait.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstewart View Post
If you're planning on using the machine for the next 5 years, I'd highly recommend going for the Retina MacBook Pro. Apple is obviously pushing the Retina displays, and developers will surely optimize their products accordingly. No one knows the exact timeline, but I doubt it will be a very long wait.
exactly
Spink10 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:06 PM   #5
cfs112
macrumors member

For what you'll be doing, I actually think its best to buy the mid-2012 MBP if you're using Adobe because of the ability to install a secondary hard drive to use as a scratch or storage of video or picture files. You can buy the one with SSD already installed, or buy one with 750 HD, then buy a 3rd market SSD from:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/inter...olid_State_Pro

My friend has the rMBP and finds it buggy. I'm sure they'll perfect it in the 2nd and 3rd gen iterations.

Also, I do video editing, and I always use an external monitor, not my laptop screen as its too small. Something else to think about, unless you really do all your editing on the laptop screen where having retina is definitely a benefit.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:16 PM   #6
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

We use After Effects CS6 on one of our rMBP's and it looks fine.
DesterWallaboo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice