Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Got my ipad2 only 15 minutes, synced the first time and it started rebooting: every 1.5 - 2 minutes !!!

Called support and they asked me to (hard) reset... will try this 'solution' tonight.
(in parallel, they opened a ticket)

Keep you guys informed...

:confused: MVa :confused:

Why wait until tonight, a Hard Reset takes 30 seconds at the most.

Hold the Sleep/Wake Button + Home Button for about 5-10 seconds and wait for the Apple logo to appear, then it will take like 20 seconds to boot up and thats its.

CH34P3T

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
I had the same exact issue with my iPad 2 when I got first got it. I restored it multiple times as new and it still made no difference. It got so bad that it would get stuck at the reboot screen with the spinning wheel.

I took it to the Apple Store to see a genius about it and all he did was restore it from DFU mode which I've previously done before, but he said if the iPad kept crashing, just bring it back and they'll replace it. As of today, I still have the same iPad, it still crashes from time to time but not as much as before.

MeValonicAcid

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Belgium
Why wait until tonight, a Hard Reset takes 30 seconds at the most.

Hold the Sleep/Wake Button + Home Button for about 5-10 seconds and wait for the Apple logo to appear, then it will take like 20 seconds to boot up and thats its.

I was out, ipad was at home... ;o)
Finally, I dropped the device in the apple service center. They will have a look at it and possibly (99%) replace it.
(No stock, so I have to wait another week :( )

xxpniu

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Ipad 2 may be have defect

My ipad 2 reboot too. And i try to recover by it report error 9. i think this is apple's issue. Wait apple recall .

BriSponse

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2016
Picked up my 16GB Black Wifi last night, it's been doing this ever since. A lot. Like maybe every 45 minutes. No case and with the case. It's also kicking me out of apps constantly, and then when I click on an app it will animate like it's about to go in and then it will kick back out to the home screen. Starts with one app and then it gradually does it to all my apps. I'm also freezing a lot and I'm forced to reboot. I can't seem to stay on it for more than 20 minutes without one of these things happening. Just had a new thing happen actually, I was in GarageBand and suddenly the screen dimmed except for a little portion that looked like it would house some kind of dialogue....very similar to when a Mac gets an error and freezes your screen and tells you to reboot, except there was no text.
Literally
I'm going to go ahead and try restoring, I'm sure it won't fix anything. Obviously I have a defective unit although it really seems like it's a software issue. But clearly this is not how it is supposed to be working. I got it from Target, will I be able to take this into the Apple Store and get a replacement? Because I KNOW Target won't have anymore of these when I can get there. I'd also like to see if an Apple employee knows what the deal is with this or has seen it because I haven't seen any posts anywhere that have all these issues. Grabbed the nightmare unit. I have no backlight bleed though (or it's very minimal) so it sucks that I'm going to have to play roulette with it. Doesn't seem to be consistent with any one app, pretty much happens indiscriminately of what I'm doing. Anybody else seen this?

I've seen this behavior quite frequently, though I suspect it has nothing to do with a defective iPad (of whichever flavor) more than issues with iOS 9.3.5. I have literally never seen this behavior at all prior, now I can't get through a day without my device rebooting.

At this point I wipe and reinstall literally every few weeks.

And what's worse is that the reboots are becoming unpredictable. I have had them while using the Quora app, Twitter (my iPad 2 reboots from the Twitter app more frequently than the others I've noticed) and Safari though it has happened with other apps as well.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I've seen this behavior quite frequently, though I suspect it has nothing to do with a defective iPad (of whichever flavor) more than issues with iOS 9.3.5. I have literally never seen this behavior at all prior, now I can't get through a day without my device rebooting.

At this point I wipe and reinstall literally every few weeks.

And what's worse is that the reboots are becoming unpredictable. I have had them while using the Quora app, Twitter (my iPad 2 reboots from the Twitter app more frequently than the others I've noticed) and Safari though it has happened with other apps as well.

That behavior suggests it’s a hardware problem. The 32-bit apps for iOS 9 aren’t being updated so the behavior, of software related, should not be increasing in frequency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.