Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I like the idea, Apple doesn't make one and the ones I see suck. So, what Apple parts would work? The screen should be of course nice and viewable at reasonably wide angles, and it should be relatively easy to get selected Aperture photos up to the screen and displayed in a slide show manner. Some sort of remote would be nice.

I can modify walls, make shelves in most any way to accommodate the parts.

Some sort of decor would be cool and I have thought of using a Cube or a Sunflower iMac, as well as something like a monitor on the wall along with hidden components.

Any clever ideas appreciated.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
An iPad would be great for a desktop sort of viewer, but I have a bigger wall size in mind, at least 15" to be viewable at a reasonable distance. Don't want a huge one, maybe around 21" tops.

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
What is your budget? Get a used monitor off craigslist for example a dell ultrasharp that has a broken/damaged casing or missing stand to get it cheap and then take out the panel/tech. You could put it in an antique looking wood frame? Would look nice i bet :cool:

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Perfect, now how to feed it the photos? One could probably use an old Mini. How would a Cube work? It would be sort of an art piece itself. Which old Mac monitors had the best picture (if it came to using an Apple screen).

I think this could be an interesting project and appreciate any help.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
How good are the old G4 era monitors? Would a Sunflower iMac display photos nicely, or are the newer monitor so much better than one shouldn't waste their time with the old ones?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How good are the old G4 era monitors? Would a Sunflower iMac display photos nicely, or are the newer monitor so much better than one shouldn't waste their time with the old ones?

That old G4 would be nice but I would use an older Dell display and reframe it. To feed photos, you could stick an ATV in the back or something like that. Cheaper than a mini.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
That old G4 would be nice but I would use an older Dell display and reframe it. To feed photos, you could stick an ATV in the back or something like that. Cheaper than a mini.

That is probably the best idea as an ATV can do slideshows with a choice of effects. The old ones do get hot though. Mine died from form-over-function egg-frying heat. My new one is much better. I can make pic frames, but still have a perverse thing for the sunflower iMac as there has and never will be anything like that again so it has a bit of techy artistry that might look good in my old wooden house. I just don't know about the screen, how good it is.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is probably the best idea as an ATV can do slideshows with a choice of effects. The old ones do get hot though. Mine died from form-over-function egg-frying heat. My new one is much better. I can make pic frames, but still have a perverse thing for the sunflower iMac as there has and never will be anything like that again so it has a bit of techy artistry that might look good in my old wooden house. I just don't know about the screen, how good it is.

It uses a digital LCD if I recall; it is a decent screen. I was referring to the new ATVs.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
It uses a digital LCD if I recall; it is a decent screen. I was referring to the new ATVs.

Well, in the end I would probably want a hi-def screen with a wide viewing angle and the ATV does have a remote, so that is probably the way to go. Thanks for your answers.

I think Apple could sell millions of a retina design digital pic frame.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't know about that. I think to businesses, maybe, but in the common household, I'm not sure. I think the ones that hit the market were fairly priced but Apple would put their tag on them and they'd be nothing more than another luxury item. Either way, glad you're on your way to a solution.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I don't know about that. I think to businesses, maybe, but in the common household, I'm not sure. I think the ones that hit the market were fairly priced but Apple would put their tag on them and they'd be nothing more than another luxury item. Either way, glad you're on your way to a solution.

Thanks. BTW, on Amazon the prices go from cheap to over $700 for a Sony, but the utility and home decor levels are very different as well. Now I am leaning towards using an old Mini as I don't think I want to stream the photos. Might want to rig up a proximity switch so it turns on when you walk up to it.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Don't want a huge one, maybe around 21" tops.

One option:
  • 20"/24" monitor with HDMI input +
  • 3G or better iPhone/iPod touch +
  • iPhone->HDMI adapter

Or, just as easy:
  • 20"/24" monitor with HDMI input +
  • Raspberry Pi +
  • raspbmc software (photo slide show mode)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.