Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elderchunti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Please! Need help, a lot of information is on this hard drive, mostly videos I filmed and stills. It's a
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex External Hard Drive, over a year old, used it over the weekend, connected it last night, I got that message, it won't appear on the Finder. What can I do so my mac reads the hard drive again and show my files? I don't want to do anything yet because I'm afraid I'll erase any data on my hard drive.

Last edited:

elderchunti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Screen shot 2013-07-30 at 1.03.42 AM.png Screen shot 2013-07-30 at 1.03.42 AM.png here's a screenshot of what I see on Disk Utility. All the buttons for the most part are grayed out.

Last edited:

elderchunti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
read that thread, for some diskwarrior worked, but my external hard drive doesn't seem to appear on the popup menu, just my mac's hard drive. again, it does appear on the disk utility, but it's not giving me the option to repair as you can see on the screenshot above.

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
Have you tried the Seagate support forum?

<http://forums.seagate.com/t5/GoFlex-GoFlex-Desk-GoFlex-Pro/bd-p/UPHD_and_PU>

elderchunti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
seagate forum didn't help. if i use disk utility, then erase, and under erase options, don't erase, would that work, or would that just erase everything. what exactly happens?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"seagate forum didn't help. if i use disk utility, then erase, and under erase options, don't erase, would that work, or would that just erase everything. what exactly happens?"

Once you've "erased", you replace the old disk directory with a new one that will show "empty" -- that is, your files will be gone.

Actually, the files may still be "out there" on the sectors (platters) of the drive. But you won't be able to "get at" them without data recovery software (such as DataRescue3).

So -- don't "erase" unless you understand what you are doing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.