Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noimus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Hey guys I'm stick in a dilemma. I already have a MBP 2011 13" for school use. I commute quite a bit. I don't mind my MBP but I feel like it's just so damn heavy on top of everything else I have and battery isn't the best on it. I already have a desktop PC at home but it's Windows and I really want an OSX operating system so it syncs with all my other devices.

My question is, which one should I get, a Mac Mini or a MBA? I don't play any games at all and their both going to be for school and home use only. I already have an external monitor as well as the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad.

I want a Mac Mini so that way I don't have to constantly connect my MBP to it and it'll be my main home PC.

I want a MBA because the battery life is just so damn amazing and it's really light so my backpack wouldn't be such a burden for me.

What should I do guys? My budget is about $1000. I'm planning on buying one or the either refurbished in case you guys were wondering!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
2013 MBA's aren't available refurbished just yet.

But for your main concern, you could really go both ways. A dual computer setup is nice (MBP + Mini), but there's always the issue of having files synced between both computers.

Since you already have a monitor + trackpad + keyboard, a Mini sure does make sense. But they are currently a generation behind, if that means anything to you.

I'm personally transitioning to a MBA + iMac setup to an rMBP setup soon, as I think I'd prefer a more simplistic setup. I'll then pick up an external monitor (ideally a TBD) for desk work. But that's all just my preference.

All-in-all, just depends on what you want. Does having a lighter laptop appeal more to you than having a desktop?

IMO, spending an extra $1000 on a desktop just because you want it to run OSX seems pretty superfluous when you already have a MBP. I'd just replace the MBP with an MBA, then pick up a USB hub or TB hub if plugging in all your peripherals is a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.