Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:50 AM   #1
reebzor
macrumors 6502a
 
reebzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via AIM to reebzor
iTunes Match - Delete matched songs to free up space

Ok, so I have my "master" iTunes library on my Mac Mini, and it is over 100GB (over 22,000 songs). I have iTunes Match, but a couple hundred files are not "matched" due to being duplicate or lower quality, etc.

I want to get an SSD, which will require me to free up some space. I want to figure out how I can delete *only* the songs that are matched from my iTunes library to free up the space. Obviously, I don't want to actually delete any music, I just only want the files that are not in iTunes match to be on my HDD.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks
__________________
Mac Mini, 24" ACD, Macbook Pro, iPhone, iPad
RIP Steve, You're an inspiration to us all
reebzor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 04:51 PM   #2
br3nt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebzor View Post
Ok, so I have my "master" iTunes library on my Mac Mini, and it is over 100GB (over 22,000 songs). I have iTunes Match, but a couple hundred files are not "matched" due to being duplicate or lower quality, etc.

I want to get an SSD, which will require me to free up some space. I want to figure out how I can delete *only* the songs that are matched from my iTunes library to free up the space. Obviously, I don't want to actually delete any music, I just only want the files that are not in iTunes match to be on my HDD.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks
not really "qualified" to answer that question since iMatch (lol) hasn't been released in sweden, but: why not use the drive as a external disk (buy a USB/Firewire cabinet) and use the SSD internally for the system?
__________________
......
.....

Please quote me if responding to something I said!
.. MBPr (mid 2012) 2.3 Ghz, 256 SSD & 16 GB RAM
br3nt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a
 
Mike MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Germany, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebzor View Post
I want to figure out how I can delete *only* the songs that are matched from my iTunes library to free up the space.
Sort your songs according to the iCloud status, than mark all matched songs and hit the delete button (with "Also delete this song from iCloud" not being flagged)?
__________________
Macbook Air 13" (late 2010) - Apple TV2 - Time Capsule - iPhone 4
Mike MA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:25 PM   #4
reebzor
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
reebzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via AIM to reebzor
Quote:
Originally Posted by br3nt View Post
not really "qualified" to answer that question since iMatch (lol) hasn't been released in sweden, but: why not use the drive as a external disk (buy a USB/Firewire cabinet) and use the SSD internally for the system?
Oh yes, I definitely could do that. In fact, it's all backed up on a NAS right now anyway. I just wanted to clean it up a bit, plus the versions in iTunes Match are better quality than the ones that I personally ripped so I'd prefer to have the iTunes ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike MA View Post
Sort your songs according to the iCloud status, than mark all matched songs and hit the delete button (with "Also delete this song from iCloud" not being flagged)?
Yea this sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I did not know you had the option to delete from the computer without deleting it from iTunes Match.
__________________
Mac Mini, 24" ACD, Macbook Pro, iPhone, iPad
RIP Steve, You're an inspiration to us all
reebzor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:37 AM   #5
br3nt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebzor View Post
Oh yes, I definitely could do that. In fact, it's all backed up on a NAS right now anyway. I just wanted to clean it up a bit, plus the versions in iTunes Match are better quality than the ones that I personally ripped so I'd prefer to have the iTunes ones.


Yea this sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I did not know you had the option to delete from the computer without deleting it from iTunes Match.
if you already have a backup, then delete through itunes as Mike said and let us know if it worked
good to know
__________________
......
.....

Please quote me if responding to something I said!
.. MBPr (mid 2012) 2.3 Ghz, 256 SSD & 16 GB RAM
br3nt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Can no longer "delete' from iTunes.

Only "Hide" now.
__________________
iPhone 6 iPad Air Mac mini (i5, 2011)
Menel is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Futhark
macrumors 6502a
 
Futhark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Can no longer "delete' from iTunes.

Only "Hide" now.
I noticed this too and wondered how does this affect the songs you own and upload because they aren't on iTunes? If it just hides these rather than delete then you will eventually hit your maximum allowed uploads? So i'm assuming if you upload it you can delete it still?
Futhark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:54 AM   #8
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebzor View Post
Ok, so I have my "master" iTunes library on my Mac Mini, and it is over 100GB (over 22,000 songs). I have iTunes Match, but a couple hundred files are not "matched" due to being duplicate or lower quality, etc.

I want to get an SSD, which will require me to free up some space. I want to figure out how I can delete *only* the songs that are matched from my iTunes library to free up the space. Obviously, I don't want to actually delete any music, I just only want the files that are not in iTunes match to be on my HDD.
Instead of doing this, you could look at threads here about adding an SSD drive to a Mac and building your own Fusion Drive. That way you have size and speed at the same time. Could be cheaper, if you wanted to get 256GB and use Fusion with 128GB instead.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
I noticed this too and wondered how does this affect the songs you own and upload because they aren't on iTunes? If it just hides these rather than delete then you will eventually hit your maximum allowed uploads? So i'm assuming if you upload it you can delete it still?
No I discovered when trying to fix an 'uploaded' track. Hide instead of delete.
__________________
iPhone 6 iPad Air Mac mini (i5, 2011)
Menel is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:11 AM   #10
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a
 
Mike MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Germany, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebzor View Post
Yea this sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I did not know you had the option to delete from the computer without deleting it from iTunes Match.
That's basically the major advantage of iTunes Match - having your songs available even with limited storage capacity (of course mostly affected are iPhones or iPads, but the same counts for Macs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Can no longer "delete' from iTunes.

Only "Hide" now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
I noticed this too and wondered how does this affect the songs you own and upload because they aren't on iTunes? If it just hides these rather than delete then you will eventually hit your maximum allowed uploads? So i'm assuming if you upload it you can delete it still?
Guess there was some kind of a legal background to change the wording. I remember several times when deleting a track and again adding it some time later it immediately appeared as uploaded again.

So there seems to exist some kind of buffering, which is quite normal for any database as it's not being reorganized every day. And that had to be considered in the wording...but that's just a guess.
__________________
Macbook Air 13" (late 2010) - Apple TV2 - Time Capsule - iPhone 4

Last edited by Mike MA; Mar 9, 2013 at 05:16 AM.
Mike MA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
itunes match delete songs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iTunes Match and can't delete songs from iPhone Primejimbo iPhone 7 Dec 7, 2013 08:55 AM
App/Strategy to turn uploaded songs to Matched in iTunes Match Colors6 iCloud and Apple Services 0 Feb 28, 2013 05:07 AM
Should I try to fix itunes match uploaded songs to matched? Bathplug iCloud and Apple Services 9 Jan 10, 2013 07:20 PM
iTunes Match. Can't delete songs Prognut iOS 6 4 Dec 28, 2012 04:40 AM
iTunes Match Can you Delete songs? hofnar iOS 6 0 Sep 19, 2012 02:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC