Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
It has a lag in waking if it has been asleep a while and I swear it is just slower overall than the one I previously had....had to exchange due to a faulty battery.

I had a horrible experience at the Apple store and really don't want to go back.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
How long of a lag are you experiencing? In the long list of problems I've heard associated with the iPhone 5, this is the first time I'm hearing of an issue regarding sleep/wake delay.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
Are you waking it with the home button?
If so, maybe you have to recalibrate it. Go to a stock app, hold the On/off button until the red bar appears, then hold the home button until the red bar dissapears.

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
If so, maybe you have to recalibrate it. Go to a stock app, hold the On/off button until the red bar appears, then hold the home button until the red bar dissapears.

Did that already.

Try a restore and setup as new first.

Did this too.

It just isn't as immediate a wake up as my 3Gs or Ipod 3rd Gen. It is faster than my friends 4s but not as fast as my friends 5. This is with the home button or sleep/wake button.

It rattles too....I know, normal..but it does it while I hold down the sleep/wake button and the phone vibrates. They said it was normal. Annoying.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Did that already.

Did this too.

It just isn't as immediate a wake up as my 3Gs or Ipod 3rd Gen. It is faster than my friends 4s but not as fast as my friends 5. This is with the home button or sleep/wake button.

It rattles too....I know, normal..but it does it while I hold down the sleep/wake button and the phone vibrates. They said it was normal. Annoying.

if a sleep/wake lag by half a second annoys you then i don't know what to say.

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
if a sleep/wake lag by half a second annoys you then i don't know what to say.

The most annoying thing is the rattle and crappy power button. I was just wondering if the lag was normal. Everything else seems normal so I will go with I am being too picky and should just deal with it.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
The most annoying thing is the rattle and crappy power button. I was just wondering if the lag was normal. Everything else seems normal so I will go with I am being too picky and should just deal with it.

Normal is whatever you make it. If it's ok to you then it's normal.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

I have a 4S so don't know how much help I will be to you. But I just checked and there is a noticeable delay from the time the button is pressed to the screen lighting up. But it's only noticeable when I really pay attention to it and its never actually been an issue.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
It has a lag in waking if it has been asleep a while and I swear it is just slower overall than the one I previously had....had to exchange due to a faulty battery.

I had a horrible experience at the Apple store and really don't want to go back.
It might be the ambient light sensor still measuring the display. This could cause the 'delay'.

Turn off auto-brightness and check again if there is noticable lag. If so, there might be something wrong. If not, than it is the ambient light sensor catching up.

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
It might be the ambient light sensor still measuring the display. This could cause the 'delay'.

Turn off auto-brightness and check again if there is noticable lag. If so, there might be something wrong. If not, than it is the ambient light sensor catching up.

No difference.

Has the same delay. Also delays when it is unplugged from the charger. Wakes up lightening fast when the silent switch is engaged/disengaged. I checked all this while letting it sleep for a few minutes. It wakes right away after use with any button.

If the issues you are having are bothering you that much get it replaced.

I really would like to avoid that. I had a very unpleasant experience at the Apple store getting this one which was a replacement due to bad battery in the first one. I am probably paying too much attention to it due to my last one not being right.

Last edited:

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS

You know that the whole "recalibrate your home button" trick is a load of crap, right'?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Did you say a rattle, and bad power button? That sounds much worse than this delay issue. That would be a reason to visit a Store.

My 4 and 5 are nearly identical waking up, 5 barely faster. Not enough to matter to me, I had to compare directly to notice. Every now and then the 4 is slower, prob because of JB apps that work in the lock screen.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Mine wakes up in .29 seconds from home button depress. Ridiculous:mad:. I called and emailed Tim Cook but have not heard back. I need answers now! I will not tolerate anything over 1/10th of a second on a device I spent $240!

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
Did you say a rattle, and bad power button? That sounds much worse than this delay issue. That would be a reason to visit a Store.

My 4 and 5 are nearly identical waking up, 5 barely faster. Not enough to matter to me, I had to compare directly to notice. Every now and then the 4 is slower, prob because of JB apps that work in the lock screen.

Manager said "Normal" brought out the "Head Genius'" i5 and said it was the same....it wasn't. Said not enough to swap it out. I might just exchange for a black one or just return it. I have 30 days.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
One thing I've noticed with the 5, if I haven't used it for a while, it takes 3-4 seconds for the app icons to appear when waking up. Just shows the wallpaper only for a count of 3 or 4, don't know if that's normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.