Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dthomas31uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Hi. Recently broke my macbook pro. My mac dealer has saved all applications, data etc on an external hard drive.

Have now purchased a new Macbook and have managed to transfer documents etc, but how do I transfer my applications?

Please help.

Regards

Darren

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
Not sure Migration Assistant will work from an external HD, as I understand the operation it is for computer too computer, the first step is to boot from a target (meaning old machine) and then migrate from there. Try to drag and drop the app on your new machine, launch it and see if it will work, only try with one to get the feel.

Are these Apple apps or stuff added custom, if custom just reload the software from the source media?

Greg

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Not sure Migration Assistant will work from an external HD, as I understand the operation it is for computer too computer, the first step is to boot from a target (meaning old machine) and then migrate from there. Try to drag and drop the app on your new machine, launch it and see if it will work, only try with one to get the feel.

Are these Apple apps or stuff added custom, if custom just reload the software from the source media?

Greg

It will work from an external if the external contains either a Time Machine backup or a clone of the disk. Not clear if the OP has that though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.