Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 23, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1
HAL-666
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I need a free RSS reader that has no ads and does not ask for a google account. Help?

I'm pretty new to RSS feeds but as a means to find inspiration (I'm an artist) I would like to subscribe to about a dozen RSS feeds that I can look at when my mind is in need of new ideas but I do not want to have to sign in with a google account or have to create any kind of account. Is there something out there that will suit my needs? I tried a few and they all want to force me to use my google account or some other kind of account...

I'm on Mountain Lion using Safari 6. (No, not gonna switch to Chrome or Firefox. I did for a while and hated it.)

Thanks for the help!


PS: Also why can't I see the images when I open a feed? This really sucks when I get [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] every time. The point of this is to see the images, I could care less about the text and I don't have time to visit every single website on the list every day...

Last edited by HAL-666; Jun 23, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
HAL-666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Take a look at the free RSS app Vienna. It will do what you want without a Google account.

The reason you don't see full feeds on some sites is because that particular site has chosen to only provide a summary and not a full feed to get you to their site to see ads. It is not the fault of the RSS client. A way to sometimes get around this is to run the RSS feed through a service that scrapes the site and sends out the full feed. If you Google "full text rss" you will find several services like this.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Take a look at the free RSS app Vienna. It will do what you want without a Google account.

...
I second this recommendation. Do play with the display settings, you may prefer something other than the default.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:44 PM   #4
ayres
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
have you read this?:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/technology/personaltech/three-ways-feedly-outdoes-the-vanishing-google-reader.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0


Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-666 View Post
I'm pretty new to RSS feeds but as a means to find inspiration (I'm an artist) I would like to subscribe to about a dozen RSS feeds that I can look at when my mind is in need of new ideas but I do not want to have to sign in with a google account or have to create any kind of account. Is there something out there that will suit my needs? I tried a few and they all want to force me to use my google account or some other kind of account...

I'm on Mountain Lion using Safari 6. (No, not gonna switch to Chrome or Firefox. I did for a while and hated it.)

Thanks for the help!


PS: Also why can't I see the images when I open a feed? This really sucks when I get [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] every time. The point of this is to see the images, I could care less about the text and I don't have time to visit every single website on the list every day...
ayres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:42 AM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayres View Post
I use and like Feedly, but the OP said he does not want to create an account anywhere to use RSS, and Feedly requires one to create an account or use your Google credentials.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:02 AM   #6
ayres
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I use and like Feedly, but the OP said he does not want to create an account anywhere to use RSS, and Feedly requires one to create an account or use your Google credentials.
i wasn't aware of that, but good to know... i don't use any of them but read pogue, and his article came to mind, so i thought i'd mention it.
ayres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 08:44 AM   #7
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030
 
CylonGlitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
I have been using "NetNewsWire" and it works quite well.
__________________
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simply RSS - Free, clean and easy to use RSS Reader. Toml2003 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 2 May 18, 2014 12:51 PM
reeder local syncing without google reader RSS account musio Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Jul 3, 2013 04:15 PM
With Google Reader gone, whither RSS apps? robgendreau iPad Apps 4 Mar 15, 2013 12:09 PM
Press Google Reader RSS reader for Androd. The best I've seen yet! ChazUK Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 0 Dec 19, 2012 03:31 PM
RSS reader that syncs with Google Reader and sits in menubar ChaotiCc` Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Sep 23, 2012 06:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC