Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 23, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1
HAL-666
macrumors newbie

I need a free RSS reader that has no ads and does not ask for a google account. Help?

I'm pretty new to RSS feeds but as a means to find inspiration (I'm an artist) I would like to subscribe to about a dozen RSS feeds that I can look at when my mind is in need of new ideas but I do not want to have to sign in with a google account or have to create any kind of account. Is there something out there that will suit my needs? I tried a few and they all want to force me to use my google account or some other kind of account...

I'm on Mountain Lion using Safari 6. (No, not gonna switch to Chrome or Firefox. I did for a while and hated it.)

Thanks for the help!

PS: Also why can't I see the images when I open a feed? This really sucks when I get [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] every time. The point of this is to see the images, I could care less about the text and I don't have time to visit every single website on the list every day...

Last edited by HAL-666; Jun 23, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
HAL-666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Take a look at the free RSS app Vienna. It will do what you want without a Google account.

The reason you don't see full feeds on some sites is because that particular site has chosen to only provide a summary and not a full feed to get you to their site to see ads. It is not the fault of the RSS client. A way to sometimes get around this is to run the RSS feed through a service that scrapes the site and sends out the full feed. If you Google "full text rss" you will find several services like this.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Take a look at the free RSS app Vienna. It will do what you want without a Google account.

I second this recommendation. Do play with the display settings, you may prefer something other than the default.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:44 PM   #4
ayres
macrumors regular

have you read this?:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/technology/personaltech/three-ways-feedly-outdoes-the-vanishing-google-reader.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-666 View Post
I'm pretty new to RSS feeds but as a means to find inspiration (I'm an artist) I would like to subscribe to about a dozen RSS feeds that I can look at when my mind is in need of new ideas but I do not want to have to sign in with a google account or have to create any kind of account. Is there something out there that will suit my needs? I tried a few and they all want to force me to use my google account or some other kind of account...

I'm on Mountain Lion using Safari 6. (No, not gonna switch to Chrome or Firefox. I did for a while and hated it.)

Thanks for the help!

PS: Also why can't I see the images when I open a feed? This really sucks when I get [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] every time. The point of this is to see the images, I could care less about the text and I don't have time to visit every single website on the list every day...
ayres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:42 AM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayres View Post
I use and like Feedly, but the OP said he does not want to create an account anywhere to use RSS, and Feedly requires one to create an account or use your Google credentials.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:02 AM   #6
ayres
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I use and like Feedly, but the OP said he does not want to create an account anywhere to use RSS, and Feedly requires one to create an account or use your Google credentials.
i wasn't aware of that, but good to know... i don't use any of them but read pogue, and his article came to mind, so i thought i'd mention it.
ayres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 08:44 AM   #7
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

I have been using "NetNewsWire" and it works quite well.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store