Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Parrot, the company behind the iPhone-controlled AR Drone quadricoptor, has debuted its new Flower Power project at CES 2013.

The system consists of a two-pronged Bluetooth monitoring device that sticks in the soil, and an iPad app. The Verge has a rundown on how it works:
Simply place the Flower Power device -- which looks like a colorful leek -- in the soil near any of your plants, pair the device with your iPhone or iPad, and you can track all of your plants' needs from anywhere. Once you've paired the device with your phone or tablet, you can choose your plant from a library of about 6000 plants, and if you're not certain of your plant's name, you can search by leaf type, color, and a number of other options.
flowerpower.jpg
The app is updated every 15 minutes, pulling information from the device about the sunlight the plant receives, the ambient temperature, and the moisture level and fertilizer content of the soil.

When plants need attention, the app will provide push notifications, and an included graph allows for the long term tracking of plant health. According to CNET, the tongs can be moved from plant to plant and the system also works with lawns.

flowerpowerdevice.jpg
There is no word on a release date or pricing, but Parrot hopes to bring Flower Power to the market sometime in 2013.

Article Link: CES 2013: Parrot 'Flower Power' Monitors Plant Health over Bluetooth

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I couldn't care less about such a product personally, but I get the sense that my neighbors who literally mow their lawns daily will care.

ALCRON

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
Alestia
First thought was that it monitored a plants health instead of Bluetooh...if that makes any sense.

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
I am sure an alternative app will pop up that will have the correct information for different strains of the medical marijuana, so that your buds will be in a great shape!

mbc2237

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
If people need to get rid of money that badly, instead of buying any of this crap, just send me the bags of cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.