Apple's Suppliers Set New High in January With 99% Compliance Rate for Working Hour Limits - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:41 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Suppliers Set New High in January With 99% Compliance Rate for Working Hour Limits

Early last year, Apple launched a new initiative to more openly share information on worker rights and safety throughout its supply chain with working hours and mandatory overtime being a major focus of the effort. Apple's code of conduct specifies that workers may generally work no more than 60 hours per week, although the company does permit limited exceptions during periods of high demand.

That pattern was observed over the course of 2012, with Apple's efforts to track over one million employees showing peak compliance with the standard at 97% in July and August before dropping in the September-Novemeber timeframe as Apple launched a number of new products including the iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Compliance rebounded in December, and Apple today updated its supplier responsibility pages to note that its supply chain achieved record 99% compliance in the month of January.
Quote:
The number of workers we track has increased from over 500,000 in January 2012 to over 1 million in January 2013. In January 2013, we achieved 99% compliance to the 60-hour workweek across all employees we track.
The improvement in compliance comes as Apple appears to be reaching supply-demand balance for a number of its latest products, including the iPad mini and iMac.

Reports have indicated that Apple's major assembly partner Foxconn has reduced its hiring due to a higher-than-usual number of employees returning to the company after the recent Chinese New Year break. Some have suggested that changes to working conditions spurred by Apple may be at least partly responsible for increased worker satisfaction and thus higher retention, although in some cases workers seeking to maximize their income have expressed concern over limits on their working hours.

Article Link: Apple's Suppliers Set New High in January With 99% Compliance Rate for Working Hour Limits
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Krauser
macrumors regular

If only all tech companies could enforce and comply with such regulations. It's a shame that this won't be all over the media like the slew of negative Foxconn stories were.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:52 PM   #3
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Say what you will about Apple, but this is one of the best things that's happened to the computer industry in a long time. I hope other manufacturers decide to copy Apple's mentality on this issue, rather than just copying their products
keysofanxiety is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:52 PM   #4
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Or there is such low demand for iPhones that they don't need them to work over 60 hours...

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Over 60 hours. Still teens working there. God damn.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:10 PM   #6
BiigBiscuit
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Source?
BiigBiscuit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiigBiscuit View Post
Source?
In the article and other articles. Still child labor.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:14 PM   #8
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So? I worked 40 hours a week in high school because I wanted to make money. There seems to be this ridiculous mentality that because Chinese people work longer hours than Americans do, it means they're being mistreated. Meanwhile, we're in a major financial crisis in part because too many Americans don't want to work and would rather suck at the government's teet. Maybe a little hard work is a good thing.
TimUSCA is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:26 PM   #9
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauser View Post
If only all tech companies could enforce and comply with such regulations. It's a shame that this won't be all over the media like the slew of negative Foxconn stories were.
Yes, I wonder how Apple's competitors are doing? About the following:

* Worker conditions/abuses.

* Publicly reporting those conditions.

* Working to fix them.

* Publicly reporting on how the fixes are going: success or PR vapor?

Anyone but Apple doing well in those areas? Or are they mainly good at sweeping it under the rug (which the media and bloggers will gladly let them do)?

And how about non-tech companies? Clothing and everything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
So? I worked 40 hours a week in high school because I wanted to make money. There seems to be this ridiculous mentality that because Chinese people work longer hours than Americans do, it means they're being mistreated. Meanwhile, we're in a major financial crisis in part because too many Americans don't want to work and would rather suck at the government's teet. Maybe a little hard work is a good thing.
The abuses that American companies make money from in China are not as simple as "longer hours."

And the financial crisis in America is not as simple as "plenty of jobs but not enough Americans want a job."
nagromme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:04 PM   #10
derek4484
macrumors 6502

Sounds like bad news for apple

Demand for their products must be really down if their suppliers are able to meet Apple's work week goals by 99%.
derek4484 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:07 PM   #11
JAT
macrumors 603

I miss the days when unions were set up by workers, not overseas clients of the company.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
In the article and other articles. Still child labor.
I bet you love Samsung huh? No asian workforce there... Or HP.. or HTC... or... and the list goes on. Do you think the computer you're thrashing on was built in the USA or some other western world? Really?
Popeye206 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:07 PM   #13
Amory
macrumors newbie

I remember reading somewhere that a lot of people wanted to work more then 60 hours to pay for their families...

looking for link....

Here is the link:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ndings-workers

Last edited by Amory; Mar 6, 2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: adding link
Amory is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:13 PM   #14
carlgo
macrumors 68000

Apple is more proactive than most companies, but remember that these investigations are of the big assembly plants like Foxcon.

We don't know about what is happening down the street at the circuit board company, the wire plant, the coating plant or all the way out at the mines where raw material come from. What is happening there with the work force and with toxins?

Much harder to check out and likely terrible compared to a nice clean assembly plant that everyone is looking at all the time.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:00 PM   #15
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye206 View Post
I bet you love Samsung huh? No asian workforce there... Or HP.. or HTC... or... and the list goes on. Do you think the computer you're thrashing on was built in the USA or some other western world? Really?
Not my point...
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:23 PM   #16
togg
macrumors newbie

Quote:
lol? Your capitalist propaganda is ridiculous. This is an over-capacity crisis. The same stuff that the overproduction crisis only that the system doesn't need to over produce and will enter in a crisis even before.
But I like to frequent forum like this just to read how the capitalist propaganda can talk indefinitely about people that don't want to create surplus value (ops, sorry! that "don't want to work"), China people that just want to make some money by working 60 hours in a week, ecc.

Thanks.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I miss the days when unions were set up by workers, not overseas clients of the company.
Why are you saying that? Chinese people just want to make some money. Don't you see how beautiful it is to work 60 hours in a week and live your dream of prosperity?
How can't you see this?
togg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:58 PM   #17
japanime
macrumors 65816

That must explain why she is so happy.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 05:49 PM   #18
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
because too many Americans don't want to work and would rather suck at the government's teet. Maybe a little hard work is a good thing.
You still talk like that?
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 07:26 PM   #19
NeverhadaPC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Meanwhile, we're in a major financial crisis in part because too many Americans don't want to work and would rather suck at the government's teet. Maybe a little hard work is a good thing.
Good to know idiots own Apple computers too...
NeverhadaPC is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:38 PM   #20
Cavepainter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by togg View Post
The same stuff that the overproduction crisis only that the system doesn't need to over produce and will enter in a crisis even before.
?
Cavepainter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:59 AM   #21
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgo View Post
Apple is more proactive than most companies, but remember that these investigations are of the big assembly plants like Foxcon.

We don't know about what is happening down the street at the circuit board company, the wire plant, the coating plant or all the way out at the mines where raw material come from. What is happening there with the work force and with toxins?

Much harder to check out and likely terrible compared to a nice clean assembly plant that everyone is looking at all the time.
Go to Apple's website. The link to their "Supplier Responsibility" report is actually at bottom of the front page. Then read it. Apple does audits everywhere. Many companies saying that this is the first time they have ever been audited. Apple cancels contracts when companies are intentionally in violation of Apple's guidelines; has happened at least on two occasions.

So yes, Apple knows what is happening at the circuit board company, the wire plant and the coating plant. They might not know what happens at the chemical plant that makes fertilizer for the farm that grows wheat and rye for the bakery that bakes bread for the canteen that feeds the workers at the circuit board company.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:43 AM   #22
dru`
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverhadaPC View Post
Good to know idiots own Apple computers too...
Actually there are plenty who don't want to work. Look at the data. Too many think they're too good for a job that's "beneath them." We have entire sectors dominated by migrant labor because Americans do not want to do that work any more. So, yeah, when making a comment like above you may want to check the mirror.

There was certainly a point, and still is in some locations, where jobs are not plentiful and even now jobs that are to be had are not full time family-sustaining ones. This so-called "recovery" has underperformed fantastically compared to any in our history, including those caused by worse circumstances.

In spite of failing and flailing cities and greater we see the same leadership returned. There's idiots at the ballot box too.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:25 PM   #23
togg
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavepainter View Post
?
Yep. This is a capitalist crisis. What a surprise uh?
togg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion