Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I like the 11" air because it's so small, I can just pop it out whenever I have spare few moments and use it to work etc. It makes me productive.

It's also good for working in enclosed spaces, like on trains/planes where the resting tray is often only big enough to comfortably accomodate a small form notebook.

Dear OP, please tell me in which ways I'd be better off using a 15" laptop in these situations, that costs three times as much, and takes up a lot more space. Also, did you notice - when speaking about why it is useful to me, most of my points where about how the smaller screen is the point I like about it most.

Also, maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that your main usuage for your rMBP is to play Angry Birds on 2560 * 1256 pixels. Has it occured to you most of have different usuages for our product, such as for real work?

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
The Thread Starter is a pompous a$$!
I just purchased the base model 13" MBA and compared to my 2008 Macbook unibody the display is incredible.
I also spent a bit of time playing with the rMBP and yes it is nice but for my needs there is no way I could justify the extra money.

I also have a 21.5" fully loaded BTO 2011 iMac which is my main machine, the laptops only have to run Office and a browser and thats perfect for me.

So get off you high horse and just enjoy your rMBP; the rest of us will enjoy the Air for what it is: an amazing lightweight, beautifully made laptop that is perfect for the other 75% of laptop users...

Hear, hear!!! I have a rMBP, my son has a MBA. They are both amazing products. The screen on the MBA is very good. If you think it is rubbish it says very much about you and very little about the MBA.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
LOL. Less difference than iPad 2 to 3???

iPad 2 and 3 both had IPS displays. 3 just had the 'retina' screen which doubled the resolution.

MBA has a serviceable (at best) screen that is not IPS and is complete garbage. It could be at least an IPS screen, I don't care for resolution doubling. rMBP has both IPS and double the res, and you can't notice that? Please.

Please feel free to tell me where I said I didn't notice the difference. I said the difference was not as noticeable. This is due to sitting further away from a laptop than a tablet.

Maybe that's the problem with all you screen snobs, move the screen off the end of your nose.

... So I can offer some objectivity, unlike these people trying to justify their purchases on their overpriced laptop.

Personally I don't need to justify anything. Buy whatever suits you, I really don't give a damn. The only person I can see trying to justify anything is the OP.

----------

Funny thing was, the OP was only "happy" with his rMBP after lots of exchanges until he got the brand screen he wanted, and even then it has a dead pixel!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1483107/

Hehe. This is why I'd rather buy a good external monitor than one embedded in a machine where it might cause me to mess around with replacements and repairs.

quickbrownfox

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
England
Also, maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that your main usuage for your rMBP is to play Angry Birds on 2560 * 1256 pixels. Has it occured to you most of have different usuages for our product, such as for real work?

I'm sure you are right. I'm not sure why I drop by these forums (maybe it's like stopping to look at an accident - you just can't help it) but it does seem to be overpopulated by children comparing specifications, playing games, etc. rather than using computers for actual paid work.

AoS

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Keep justifying your crap purchase :)
Glad your mommy and daddy could please your spoiled ass. Most of us have to make due with compromises and personal preference and weigh the pros/cons of justifying an extra $300 something for a better screen. I love my air for when I'm on the go, and am more than happy to plug it into my high res 27' display when I want it docked.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
Why does a student even have such a computer and why do we have to argue with them? It's like discussing whether the iPhone 5 is superior to whatever with an 8-year-old who got it on christmas.

TN panels are worse than IPS panels but still fine enough - you guys are just being snobs. I actually do have the 13" rMBP and love the screen to bits... but I've seen so many agencies and designers earning truckloads of money while working with TN panels, that I don't even bother anymore.

They say:

1. Most people have TN panels anyway, so who cares?
2. If it's for print, we'll have proofs anyway, so who cares?

And those people make the things you're looking at with your IPS panels :rolleyes:

BeginnerXP

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
I actually wanted rMBP 15" more when I purchased my MBA, but the almost 1000$ extra I'll have to pay prevented me to get it. If I'm upgrading this MBA to newer model, I'm fine with non-retina, but I hope at least Apple start using IPS panel on next generation of MBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.