Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrenchPB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Hey guys,

I just updated too Handbrake 0.9.9, and found out that the presets have been changed. There's no more iPhone 3G preset in the list, only one iPhone & iPod Touch generic one that won't work with my iPhone.

Could you tell me if I can "download" presets somewhere, and what presets I should set to encode video to an iPhone 3G ?

Thanks in advance.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
From https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/BuiltInPresets#ipodhigh-rez

HandBrake's deprecated settings for the iPhone and iPod Touch. This is the iPhone preset from HandBrake 0.9.2, and while it is offered as a service to legacy users, it is no longer supported.

Code:
 ./HandBrakeCLI -i DVD -o ~/Movies/movie.mp4  -e x264 -b 960 -a 1 -E faac -B 128 -6 dpl2 -R Auto -D 0.0 -f mp4 -I -X 480 -m -x level=30:cabac=0:ref=1:analyse=all:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:psy-rd=0,0:bframes=0:weightp=0:subme=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Thank you. How should I use that code line ?

That's the command for the command-line version, HandBrakeCLI, which you can download. But you can use the settings to figure out your own present in the normal HandBrake GUI.

Each option in the code (which is quite a bit longer than displayed; follow the link for the whole thing) represents a setting in HandBrake. Some of them are obvious, like output dimensions - most you'll have to look at the HandBrakeCLI docs to see what they do. I have no clue what most of them actually mean; I code everything in AppleTV 3 preset and that works fine on all my devices.

FrenchPB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
I can't make this work.
Anyone could help me encore video to an iphone 3G ?

I tried to download an old version of handbrake, but the presets remain the same...

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Even easier, download 0.9.8 .. select the built in preset you want (iphone 3g).

Then save it as a custom preset. Go back to 0.9.9 and fire it up. 0.9.9 will update your built in presets and the one you wanted in the built-ins will be gone *however* ... it doesn't touch your custom presets. So the one you saved as a custom preset will still be there. Done deal. Custom presets are backwards compatible so just use that. Presto.

For future proofing it makes sense if you always use the same preset to do this and make a copy of the built in preset you like as custom preset. Then you will always have it even if HB deprecates it in future revs in the built in presets.

fwiw, I use a custom preset I have from 0.9.6 still with 0.9.9.

Built in presets are periodically removed on newer revs for older devices to keep the built in presets more relevant for newer devices. Kind of a bit of "spring cleaning" if you will. However, the process above will ensure you have your preset as a custom preset for use with 0.9.9 and future revs.

FrenchPB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Even easier, download 0.9.8 .. select the built in preset you want (iphone 3g).

Then save it as a custom preset. Go back to 0.9.9 and fire it up. 0.9.9 will update your built in presets and the one you wanted in the built-ins will be gone *however* ... it doesn't touch your custom presets. So the one you saved as a custom preset will still be there. Done deal. Custom presets are backwards compatible so just use that. Presto.

For future proofing it makes sense if you always use the same preset to do this and make a copy of the built in preset you like as custom preset. Then you will always have it even if HB deprecates it in future revs in the built in presets.

fwiw, I use a custom preset I have from 0.9.6 still with 0.9.9.

Built in presets are periodically removed on newer revs for older devices to keep the built in presets more relevant for newer devices. Kind of a bit of "spring cleaning" if you will. However, the process above will ensure you have your preset as a custom preset for use with 0.9.9 and future revs.

Great answer, thank you so much !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.