Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:08 PM   #1
DreLamar
macrumors newbie

Buying iPhone 5 from Apple Store

Can I buy the iPhone 5 frm apple & get it activated @ AT&T because I'm gonna have the SIM cards switched with the 4S & 5. I dnt wanna buy frm AT&T or Bestbuy because theirs always a defect overheating glitches etc....
DreLamar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:14 PM   #2
MadGoat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreLamar View Post
Can I buy the iPhone 5 frm apple & get it activated @ AT&T because I'm gonna have the SIM cards switched with the 4S & 5. I dnt wanna buy frm AT&T or Bestbuy because theirs always a defect overheating glitches etc....

An iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone.

Buy it from Bestbuy, Radio Shack, AT&T or Apple, it's all the same quality.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

I'm sure no matter where you buy it they are the same.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
If u go into the Apple store, it says (1)Select Phone, then (2)Select Carrier... so I think yes.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5
DreLamar
macrumors newbie

Bought my 3G 2008 AT&T major problems apple replaced it no problems. Bought the 4 frm apple no problems. 4S from bestbuy had to take it back to apple to be replaced cuz it would overheat really bad! I just wanna know if I could by it frm the apple store & take it to AT&T to get it activated because I'm gonna use the 5 for my line & 4s for the new line & I need the nano sim for my line & micro sim for my new line
DreLamar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:41 PM   #6
aslnschld
macrumors newbie

They should be able to do all that for you at the apple store, but you can work it out however you need to.
aslnschld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:25 PM   #7
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Bought my 3G 2008 AT&T major problems apple replaced it no problems. Bought the 4 frm apple no problems. 4S from bestbuy had to take it back to apple to be replaced cuz it would overheat really bad! I just wanna know if I could by it frm the apple store & take it to AT&T to get it activated because I'm gonna use the 5 for my line & 4s for the new line & I need the nano sim for my line & micro sim for my new line
It will be activated by the time you leave the Apple Store. Just bring your current SIM along and swap if possible. Although I don't know, isn't it a different size or type, moving from the 3G i4s to the 4G i5? In which case, they can copy everything over before you leave.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:29 PM   #8
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
It will be activated by the time you leave the Apple Store.
This ^^^, unless you pay the unsubsidized price ($649/$749/$849).
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:33 PM   #9
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
This ^^^, unless you pay the unsubsidized price ($649/$749/$849).
That doesn't matter. I got mine unsubsidized Tuesday, was making a call by the time I got out of the mall building.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:58 PM   #10
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
That doesn't matter. I got mine unsubsidized Tuesday, was making a call by the time I got out of the mall building.
Doesn't that make it more of a hassle for him?

If he buys an iPhone 5 at the Apple Store (by adding a new line to his existing AT&T account), then Apple is going to activate that new line/new telephone# on the iPhone 5 nano SIM, which sounds like exactly what he doesn't want.

It sounds like he's asking if he can buy a subsidized iPhone 5 from Apple, not have it activated, and then take it over to AT&T for activation. AFAIK, the answer to that is "no".
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:12 PM   #11
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Doesn't that make it more of a hassle for him?

If he buys an iPhone 5 at the Apple Store (by adding a new line to his existing AT&T account), then Apple is going to activate that new line/new telephone# on the iPhone 5 nano SIM, which sounds like exactly what he doesn't want.

It sounds like he's asking if he can buy a subsidized iPhone 5 from Apple, not have it activated, and then take it over to AT&T for activation. AFAIK, the answer to that is "no".
Hmm, I wasn't recommending unsubsidized, just answering your comment.

Well, he said he wants the new phone on his current line, subsidized. All he has to do is buy that, activate. Done. So, there's no reason to go to ATT, the answer is not just "no", it's "why would you".

Then he wants a new line, with what will then be an unused phone. He could go to ATT to get that done. Or possibly just at home on the internet, although I'm not familiar with ATT, been on Tmob and VZW only.

It doesn't need to be done all in the same minute. The i4 will be fine, it just becomes an iPod.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone