Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takiv

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Moonville, SC
My buddy got a new ATV 3 for Christmas, he offered me his original ATV1 for $65. Is it worth it ? The reason I thought to get it is I dont have a HDTV, so the current Gen does nothing for me. I realize I wont be able to do airplay mirroring, Would I be able to stream Itunes audio ? That would be useful to me, as my whole house audio setup is right next to my tv.

I'm kinda new to mac's and apple tv.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
You'd be able to resell that for a few hundred dollars - they are still quite valuable - check eBay's current prices for an idea on its value

jpix55

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
My buddy got a new ATV 3 for Christmas, he offered me his original ATV1 for $65. Is it worth it ? The reason I thought to get it is I dont have a HDTV, so the current Gen does nothing for me. I realize I wont be able to do airplay mirroring, Would I be able to stream Itunes audio ? That would be useful to me, as my whole house audio setup is right next to my tv.

I'm kinda new to mac's and apple tv.

I have an ATV1 and use it daily. While you can't airplay, you can jailbreak it and plug in an external HD and play movies that way. It can stream videos and music and with iTunes homesharing turned on. Plus, the ATV1 has its own HD so you can load media content on it directly. I think $65 is a great deal.

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
You actually can airplay to the apple tv 1 if you jailbreak it. Id pay $60 for it. Then buy a broadcom 15 HD card for $40 and install it in conjunction with crystalbuntu. This will put XBMC on the apple tv, allow airplay - not mirroring, and also give you 1080p with enough horsepower to run some decent blu ray rips. also play any format video file you want. You can install crystalbuntu to a USB drive so you can maintain the original apple OS as well, but id install it directly to the HD as its faster and more reliable.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Yes its worth $65 all day and twice on sundays. Buy it, if you don't like it resell it for easily twice that much.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I love that you got your answer on the forum threads. Another place to pick up older Apple TVs is pawn shops. You would be shocked at how little some of them know about what they have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.