Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:31 PM   #1
3lite
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Backing up my data to reinstall OS X 10.8.2

So I need to reinstall and have to backup my data to an external HDD.

What is the best way in going about this? And will my backup data include all of my system preferences as well? (Gesture modifications, trackpad speed, browser settings, etc.)
3lite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lite View Post
So I need to reinstall and have to backup my data to an external HDD.

What is the best way in going about this? And will my backup data include all of my system preferences as well? (Gesture modifications, trackpad speed, browser settings, etc.)
Just use the built in Time Machine for this. It will backup everything you listed. You can turn it on in System Preferences.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:43 AM   #3
kdum8
macrumors 6502a
 
kdum8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lite View Post
So I need to reinstall and have to backup my data to an external HDD.

What is the best way in going about this? And will my backup data include all of my system preferences as well? (Gesture modifications, trackpad speed, browser settings, etc.)
I also want to know the answer to this, especially the settings part. I will be reinstalling ML as soon as I get a clear and assuring answer that with TM I will get everything back again the way it is now, but with the benefits of a clean install. Just not sure how to do it exactly. Would be useful to have a guide somewhere, perhaps one already exists?
__________________
15" MBP 4.1, 2.5 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM 750GB HD, OS 10.8.3 - iPad 3. iOS 6.1.3 - iPad Nano 6G.
Have a question? First run a search!
kdum8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdum8 View Post
I also want to know the answer to this, especially the settings part. I will be reinstalling ML as soon as I get a clear and assuring answer that with TM I will get everything back again the way it is now, but with the benefits of a clean install. Just not sure how to do it exactly. Would be useful to have a guide somewhere, perhaps one already exists?
If you use the Time Machine backup to either restore, or as the source for Migration Assistant, you will get all your data and settings back... but this is not really a true "clean install." A clean install involves reinstalling the OS to a blank drive then manually reinstalling everything and manually applying all settings.

The only thing Time Machine sometimes does not restore is the authorization serial numbers for certain apps. MS and Adobe apps seem to be bad about this. You just need to manually reenter the serial numbers for those apps.
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
"So I need to reinstall and have to backup my data to an external HDD."

My suggestion:
DON'T use Time Machine.

Instead, use CarbonCopyCloner to create a bootable clone of your existing drive. (Note: CCC is now a "paid" application, but you can download it and it will work in fully-functional "demo mode" for 30 days.)

Once this is done, you will have a fully bootable copy of your internal drive with everything in POFF (plain old finder format).

When it's time to restore, just use Migration Assitant (if you wish) and "point it" at the CCC backup clone.

This will give you a much more reliable backup with less chance of things going wrong on you….
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:15 AM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
CCC is free up until 3.4.7
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:36 PM   #7
3lite
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
If you use the Time Machine backup to either restore, or as the source for Migration Assistant, you will get all your data and settings back... but this is not really a true "clean install." A clean install involves reinstalling the OS to a blank drive then manually reinstalling everything and manually applying all settings.

The only thing Time Machine sometimes does not restore is the authorization serial numbers for certain apps. MS and Adobe apps seem to be bad about this. You just need to manually reenter the serial numbers for those apps.
Yes that is what I want to do. A "clean install" but I also want to keep all of my system preferences/data/settings/ etc.

Is there a guide for this?
3lite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lite View Post
Yes that is what I want to do. A "clean install" but I also want to keep all of my system preferences/data/settings/ etc.

Is there a guide for this?
No... and that is the problem. You need to go into every single setting in OS X and every single app and document what the settings are, then manually reapply all those to the new setup. Not an easy thing to do, particularly if one is not real familiar with the ins and outs of OS X.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:11 PM   #9
kdum8
macrumors 6502a
 
kdum8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
"So I need to reinstall and have to backup my data to an external HDD."

My suggestion:
DON'T use Time Machine.

This will give you a much more reliable backup with less chance of things going wrong on you….
Why is Time Machine known to be a problem with installing?

I am not at all familiar with CC.
__________________
15" MBP 4.1, 2.5 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM 750GB HD, OS 10.8.3 - iPad 3. iOS 6.1.3 - iPad Nano 6G.
Have a question? First run a search!
kdum8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP: Backing Up Time Capsule Data nim6us MacBook Pro 9 Feb 14, 2014 01:05 PM
Backing up with data doubler zyr123 MacBook Pro 7 Aug 11, 2013 08:25 PM
Help with Backing up game save data.. howirocks Mac Basics and Help 0 Jul 17, 2013 12:11 PM
Backing up after installing Data Doubler prasadvenkatram MacBook Pro 2 Jul 9, 2013 11:40 PM
Reinstall Lion without losing data Bloodyrockgod OS X 4 Jan 2, 2013 08:39 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC