Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I downloaded some of the apps for passbook but when I tap passbook it just has a link to the iTunes Store.

TaEbOm

macrumors member
May 30, 2009
You have to add the app to passbook by first opening the app you downloaded and then there should be an option to add it to passbook. From there you can see the app in the passbook app itself.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
You have to add the app to passbook by first opening the app you downloaded and then there should be an option to add it to passbook. From there you can see the app in the passbook app itself.

That didn't work for me at all. No choice to add anything to passbook.

it's a gimmick don't even bother

I'm really beginning to the think this is true. I could see it getting axed eventually.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Works great for Starbucks and even target, but other than that, it's pretty useless. But I do use it for Starbucks often.

Unless you travel often there's not a whole lot of great uses. Gift cards, coupons, and movie tickets are about it for passbook for those of us who aren't frequent flyers.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Unless you travel often there's not a whole lot of great uses. Gift cards, coupons, and movie tickets are about it for passbook for those of us who aren't frequent flyers.

Yup pretty much. A few people on MR who travel a ton swear by passbook though. For what I do use it for though, it's great. It gets too much hate. It's a great idea/application, just needs more uses.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
hotel booking confirmations, rewards cards from walgreens, boarding passes and concert tickets from ticket master....very good uses.... passbook is new give it time

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
We shall see. If it evolves, then nice, but if it goes down the road of ping, then we already know the answer to that one.

Ping and passbook are completely unrelated. Passbook is going to be expanded on in the future with things like NFC. Ping was a fail idea which apple never even really tried.

Passbook is already supported by many big companies and saves me 30+ minutes at airports. I literally just get out the taxi and walk straight to the plane.

A mobile device replacing wallets is the next major development in technology, and in fact the technology for it already exists, it just has to be adopted, and passbook is the first step.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Ping and passbook are completely unrelated. Passbook is going to be expanded on in the future with things like NFC. Ping was a fail idea which apple never even really tried.

Passbook is already supported by many big companies and saves me 30+ minutes at airports. I literally just get out the taxi and walk straight to the plane.

A mobile device replacing wallets is the next major development in technology, and in fact the technology for it already exists, it just has to be adopted, and passbook is the first step.

Well then, we shall see.. ;)

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I use it for some store loyalty cards ( whish more where native to it). The Walgreens one works well, pops up on my lock screen when i walk into my local store.

On a side note, i just deleted some passes it created for a christmas event and the shredder thing kind of freaked me out at first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.